Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 104261 times)

Jones

I still have a life size Cookie Monster (he's about 3.5 feet tall right?) that I received for my first birthday. He lives in DD's room on the bottom bunk and we all take turns sleeping with him occasionally. Sadly, DS recently threw up on him and I had to figure out the best way to give his faux fur a proper cleaning without destroying the old guy. He's still doing great!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
We've got a vacuum-packed stuffed lemur in the attic.  I sent it to DH over the summer when we were first dating in college.  (My parents have one of those vacuum-sealer thingies.)  Clear plastic, so I wrote "I've never mailed a lemur before" and DH's address on it and mailed it with the little lemur eyes staring out from inside.  Got a strange look at the post office.

Six months later, MIL mailed it to DH at college - apparently it was among some packages that had gotten lost when someone abandoned their mail truck in rural Alabama, and it took several months for it to eventually get delivered.  That was ~14 years ago and we've never opened the package.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Ambrosia Hino left a stuffed dog behind by accident at a hotel at 8(?) - we had to have it mailed to us so she could sleep.  I think it was a "Pound Puppy" and you could no longer buy them.

She loaned it to her baby brother while he was sick when he was about three or so...no more in the stores and he absolutely fell in love with the thing. 

I went looking and found one - at a store with a play area (quilt, crafting supplies, and framing shop).  The owner's not-so-dear-husband asked for a divorce and she had to sell the business.  I bought the Pound Puppy (not quite the same color) immediately...she has hers and his is somewhere, still packed since the move in 2005 (he was almost twelve and hadn't slept with it for years, but it got a lot of use when he was younger)!

I am not allowed to get rid of it when I find it because it might be needed for a grandbaby...."it's traditional to sleep with Pound Puppy".

*jumpy claps and happy flail*  I love love love Pound Puppies. 

I had passed all my old ones down to my cousin and then they had a fire and were destroyed.  I still miss those guys.

jmarvellous

My mother has the toy given to her at the hospital the day she was born. At her house, also, are the toys my brother and I were given on the days we were born. None of these were beloved cuddly things -- hers was actually all rubber, and my stuffed rabbit's hand became partially detached and has a sharp inner edge -- but getting rid of them would be sad at this point. No vacuum storage.

On topic: I was next to a table of students in the same American graduate program as me, all Americans in their early 20s, and one asked the others, "Who was the president before Reagan?"

None of them knew. Not even with clues about peanut farming, charitable work, Iran ...

cabbageweevil

w/ Manhattan:

Manhattan Island is indeed an island.

However, the borough of Manhattan (in NYC's political divisions) comprises the island of Manhattan and a small section of land across the Harlem River that is on the mainland plus a few smaller islands.

Wikipedia has a map.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:New_York_City_location_Manhattan.svg

That tiny bit on the mainland was originally part of the island, but it was difficult to navigate, so they dug the Harlem River Ship Canal, which turned Marble Hill into an island. Later they filled in the original channel of the river itself, joining Marble Hill to the mainland, but they kept the political membership.

Re the boroughs of New York: I was doing a project recently, which proved definitely instructive about Staten Island.  I'd imagined hitherto, that it was a little island rather isolated in the waters generally off New York City.  Turns out that it's bigger than I thought, and markedly closer to mainland New Jersey -- separated from same, basically by narrow creeks -- than to the rest of NY City. One lives and learns...

Snooks

Ambrosia Hino left a stuffed dog behind by accident at a hotel at 8(?) - we had to have it mailed to us so she could sleep.  I think it was a "Pound Puppy" and you could no longer buy them.

She loaned it to her baby brother while he was sick when he was about three or so...no more in the stores and he absolutely fell in love with the thing. 

I went looking and found one - at a store with a play area (quilt, crafting supplies, and framing shop).  The owner's not-so-dear-husband asked for a divorce and she had to sell the business.  I bought the Pound Puppy (not quite the same color) immediately...she has hers and his is somewhere, still packed since the move in 2005 (he was almost twelve and hadn't slept with it for years, but it got a lot of use when he was younger)!

I am not allowed to get rid of it when I find it because it might be needed for a grandbaby...."it's traditional to sleep with Pound Puppy".

*jumpy claps and happy flail*  I love love love Pound Puppies. 

I had passed all my old ones down to my cousin and then they had a fire and were destroyed.  I still miss those guys.

I had one that had puppies. My parents are clearing out the attic so mine may come to light soon. Mom's dreading getting to the stuffed animals because she's convinced things will be living in them, Dad's dreading it because he knows I'll want to keep them all when I see them.

Octavia

I just found out that the ice in skating rinks is painted white. I mean, I know that logos and markings for hockey games are painted into the ice. But I figured the ice was white because the concrete or whatever underneath it was white. Am I the only person who didn't know this?  :-[
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
I just found out that the ice in skating rinks is painted white. I mean, I know that logos and markings for hockey games are painted into the ice. But I figured the ice was white because the concrete or whatever underneath it was white. Am I the only person who didn't know this?  :-[
Nope. I didn't know it either!  And thinking about it, I don't think it can be.  Because unless the Zamboni paints it as well as smoothing the ice, it would be scraped off on the Zamboni's first pass, right?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
I didn't think the white part was painted, unless it was part of a logo.  When you use the Zamboni to flood the ice, if the water was tinted white, it would obscure the lines and logos.  I suppose it is possible that the base layer is painted white.  And it wouldn't surprise me if the curling ice was painted white.  It isn't flooded the same way a rink is, once the ice is established.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Octavia

I didn't think the white part was painted, unless it was part of a logo.  When you use the Zamboni to flood the ice, if the water was tinted white, it would obscure the lines and logos.  I suppose it is possible that the base layer is painted white.  And it wouldn't surprise me if the curling ice was painted white.  It isn't flooded the same way a rink is, once the ice is established.
Yep, the base layer is what's painted white using a big paint sprayer (or in the case of the Sochi Olympic speed skating rink, the inner part is painted light blue while the racing lanes are painted white). Then they paint logos, stripes, etc. Then they add the rest of the water over a couple of days so the painted layer is well-sealed and will last all season. The Zamboni only scrapes up and replenishes the top layer or two of ice, so it never gets down to the paint. I just learned all of this from my hockey player friend.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Yep, the base layer is what's painted white using a big paint sprayer (or in the case of the Sochi Olympic speed skating rink, the inner part is painted light blue while the racing lanes are painted white). Then they paint logos, stripes, etc. Then they add the rest of the water over a couple of days so the painted layer is well-sealed and will last all season. The Zamboni only scrapes up and replenishes the top layer or two of ice, so it never gets down to the paint. I just learned all of this from my hockey player friend.
Now that makes a lot more sense!  What kind of paint do they use? 
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Octavia

Now that makes a lot more sense!  What kind of paint do they use?
I'm so fascinated by the process myself that I went looking for more info. Here is a thorough Youtube video that explains it all - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hT3yfuLPIU . I think it's really interesting!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum

Re the boroughs of New York: I was doing a project recently, which proved definitely instructive about Staten Island.  I'd imagined hitherto, that it was a little island rather isolated in the waters generally off New York City.  Turns out that it's bigger than I thought, and markedly closer to mainland New Jersey -- separated from same, basically by narrow creeks -- than to the rest of NY City. One lives and learns...

I love the story of how it ended up in NYC--a rowboat race around the island.

BarensMom

I recently saw an episode of "How the States got their Shapes," focusing on Ellis Island.  I always thought it was in New York, but apparently there was some court fight and the ruling was the main building is in New York, the rest of the island is in New Jersey.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store

I recently saw an episode of "How the States got their Shapes," focusing on Ellis Island.  I always thought it was in New York, but apparently there was some court fight and the ruling was the main building is in New York, the rest of the island is in New Jersey.

I love that show :)