Author Topic: s/o adults should know this - retrospectively obvious things you've just learned  (Read 110017 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
When you wear your brand new red suede flats it will rain. Guaranteed!

I always have a sweater or hoodie with me, at least in the car. I always carry a change of clothing, a first aid kit, bottled water and a flashlight in my vehicle. I keep a granola bar in my messenger bag. I now carry a juice pack for my electronics, I used to just bring extra batteries.

^^^  Your electronics drink juice?  How nice of you to provide them with refreshing beverages! 

My keyboard and screen have been known to enjoy some tea or juice.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
I always take a jacket / long pants no matter where I'm going or what time of yea war. We were in Lubbock, TX in August and a freak cold front moved through. Dropped from upper 90's to mid 60's in 2 hours and poured rain for 2 days

We had that happen in Florida a few months ago.  It was in the mid 70s, maybe 80s, and dropped into the 30s during the afternoon.  People were not dressed appropriately for the weather, though I can't really fault them. No one was really expecting that to happen quite so fast.

I had this happen when I went on a school trip to France when I was 15.  It was July, and I packed mostly shorts, but two pairs of long pants.  I ended up wearing my long pants the entire time, and buying a sweatshirt first thing I did, because it was rainy and 40s/50s the entire trip.  I think it finally warmed up the last day, before we returned home.  <sigh>

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum

I also need to start remembering to put a hoodie or wrap in the suitcase, even if it is "good weather" because the unseasonable weather is so much harder to live with as I get older...I'm hypothyroid, cold is harder to deal with than it used to be.

Man I wish I'd read this before I zipped down to Baltimore to spend a day with my brother. I was cold, and I only brought a single layer. I ended up wearing my outdoor jacket all the time.

menley

I just learned that Casanova was a real person.  :-[

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
I just learned that Casanova was a real person.  :-[

Don't feel bad.  We have a friend who thought Mel Torme was fictional. 

BTW, Casanova eventually became a librarian.  Walt Whitman was a librarian in his youth.  So much for the librarian stereotype. 

lilfox

When this happened I immediately thought of this thread.  Kind of a twist on not realizing where your food comes from.

I was taking a walk through the neighborhood and several times I was hit with the overwhelming smell of dryer sheets.  I kept wondering whose laundry room I was downwind of.  And then I put two and two together:  those dryer sheets are specifically scented to smell like flowering trees, and I happened to be walking by large blooming trees.  So, what I was actually smelling were the trees themselves!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
I have started "cooking" more. The other day I "made" condensed soup from a can. That is, I followed the directions and added a can of water to the soup before heating it up. I then realized that adding this can of water does not magically make more soup. It just makes more liquid, below which sits the stuff I actually want, which in this case was noodles and chicken. I ended up draining the soup to get the noodles and chicken.

I know, I'm weird.

But, contrast this to the other kind of soup I "make," which starts with prepackaged dry ingredients. There, adding water does, in fact, result in an increase in soup, because you had no soup before, only a package of dried things.

You guys just wait until I start cooking raw meat, then it will really get fun.  >:D
~Lynn2000

guihong

• Super Hero!
I'll tell a silly on myself. 

I went shopping at a big warehouse store and by the end had a groaning cart of food.  It was so high, I could barely see over it.  Things were balanced precariously all over.  Shoppers were stopping to stare at 5'0 me pushing this thing, and I heard more than one chuckle. 

When I got up to the register, the cashier began loading the groceries onto a large flat truck (think a long moving dolly).  I said, "I didn't know regular shoppers could use those!"  She replied "Yes; why wouldn't you be allowed to?"  I guess I thought only restaurants or corporate shoppers could use them  ::)

I've shopped at this store off and on since 2001 and never thought I was allowed to use the flat trucks.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Yeah, but beware the flat truck. Soon enough you will have it stacked just as high as your cart, meaning even more groceries (Oh, I can get just one more thing), and guess what? Not everything will fit in the trunk. ::)

turtleIScream

I have started "cooking" more. The other day I "made" condensed soup from a can. That is, I followed the directions and added a can of water to the soup before heating it up. I then realized that adding this can of water does not magically make more soup. It just makes more liquid, below which sits the stuff I actually want, which in this case was noodles and chicken. I ended up draining the soup to get the noodles and chicken.

I know, I'm weird.

But, contrast this to the other kind of soup I "make," which starts with prepackaged dry ingredients. There, adding water does, in fact, result in an increase in soup, because you had no soup before, only a package of dried things.

You guys just wait until I start cooking raw meat, then it will really get fun.  >:D

My husband had an argument with his mother about this. He would make condensed soup, but only add 1/3 of a can of water. He liked the stronger flavor, and he would eat the whole can himself, so no one else's preferences came into play. But his mom was very insistent that he needed to add the full can because "all the nutrients are in the broth!" He never could convince her that he wasn't missing out on any nutrients by leaving out some water.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)

I know, I'm weird.

My husband had an argument with his mother about this. He would make condensed soup, but only add 1/3 of a can of water. He liked the stronger flavor, and he would eat the whole can himself, so no one else's preferences came into play. But his mom was very insistent that he needed to add the full can because "all the nutrients are in the broth!" He never could convince her that he wasn't missing out on any nutrients by leaving out some water.

I... but... wha... oh come on!  Read the nutrition facts in a bottle of water!  (Spoiler alert:  0)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
All those evaporative nutrients.  ???

I had to tell someone today that she should email call her school to see if it was too late to pick up her cap and gown for today's commencement.

Not our school, which she does not attend.

Tosca

I've only recently realised that the sanitary bins in public toilets...are just bins.  And it's perfectly OK to  put the wrappings from sanitary products in them, rather than hanging onto them to put in the bins by the basins.

I'm nearly 46  :P

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
I've only recently realised that the sanitary bins in public toilets...are just bins.  And it's perfectly OK to  put the wrappings from sanitary products in them, rather than hanging onto them to put in the bins by the basins.

I'm nearly 46  :P

Umm... so what did you think they were for?