Author Topic: ICE CREAM! What's your favorite?  (Read 5579 times)

veronaz

Re: ICE CREAM! What's your favorite?
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2013, 08:55:04 PM »
Bad thread, bad!
>:D  ;)  ;D

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2013, 08:58:55 AM »
Haagen Dazs Cassis and Cream. I've only ever found it in one shop, in tiny one-person servings, back in 2004, in Japan. I don't think I'll ever find it again.

Hokey Pokey! (ex-New Zealander here  ;D)

Vanilla with a toffee swirl.

(Oops, forgot the other thing I was going to mention! While I was in Japan one of my teachers informed the class that a lot of younger Japanese people 'make' new verbs by adding a -ru ending to a noun or part of a noun that now acts as a verb 'stem'... and one of the examples we were given was "Haageru" = "to go get Haagen Dazs" :D)

Mel - I feel your pain . The same thing happened to me last summer . It was Haagen Dazs Strawberry Cheesecake . Heaven in a tiny little cup . I bought one home to try it , fell completely in love  and never saw it again. I spent a month searching every "conbini " in a 20 KM radius . I am holding on to a thin thread of hope that it comes back this year and if it does I will wipe out the stock of every 7-11 in town .

I also remember hearing a phrase with the Denny's restaurant name used as a verb . It was the only all-night place open to teens under the legal drinking age and they could buy one cup of coffee and stay there for hours . The translation was " to go do the Denny's thing ".

Hopefully it'll come back for you - a lot of food is treated as 'seasonal' stuff in Japan, and it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with actual seasonal restrictions on when something is available. :P I'm sure you've noticed! I got really annoyed when Spring ended and all of a sudden I couldn't get harusame soup any more! And of course there were the tea sweets. I got totally addicted to tea sweets, and they tended to have a 'season' that lasted two to four weeks.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

snappylt

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2013, 11:46:35 PM »
Teaberry ice cream was one of my favorite flavors when I was growing up.  There was a small chain of ice cream stores in a few counties around my hometown that often sold teaberry ice cream.  I've never seen it anywhere else, and it's probably been forty-five years since I've had any.

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2013, 01:32:05 PM »
I live down the street from a dairy.  I no longer buy plain ice cream anywhere else.  If I'm picking up a half gallon, then it's going to be something vanilla based (currently I have a flavor called Holy Cow, which is vanilla with fudge pieces and swirls) but if we go up there for cones then I'll pick something like strawberry or black cherry.  The exception to the vanilla based rule is when they have Pumpkin Crunch.  It's like pumpkin pie in ice cream form.  Last time I bought it I didn't share  ;D

missanpan

« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2013, 08:45:54 PM »
Haagen Dasz Coconut Macaroon!

BigBadBetty

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2013, 09:54:29 PM »
When I was a kid, I loved Baskin Robbins "Baseball Nut". I haven't been to a Baskin Robbins in years. I wonder if they still make that.

Wow! I forgot all about that flavor. I had a birthday cake with white cake and Baseball Nut when I was kid. We don't have Baskin Robbins where I live. According to their site, they still make it.  My favorite regular flavors are Butter Pecan (if it is fresh pecans) and Chocolate Chip Cookie dough.

delabela

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2013, 10:00:50 PM »
High end - there's a local place that has 2 I love - salted caramel and strawberry rhubarb.

Low end - I'll take a Dairy Queen vanilla soft serve chocolate dipped cone any day. 

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2013, 10:42:25 PM »
The cold kind.

;D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Verloona Ti

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2013, 09:09:35 AM »
Teaberry ice cream was one of my favorite flavors when I was growing up.  There was a small chain of ice cream stores in a few counties around my hometown that often sold teaberry ice cream.  I've never seen it anywhere else, and it's probably been forty-five years since I've had any.

I've never heard of teaberry ice cream, so I googled it : If Hershey's brand ice cream is sold in your area, they offer a teaberry flavor.
http://www.hersheyicecream.com/PrePackagedIceCream/1.5qtPremiumContainer/teaberry.html

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2013, 09:20:17 AM »
chocolate ice cream with peanut butter ribbons.  :)   Though these days I get it in shake form or make a shake because my teeth have gotten more sensitive to cold and while I do brush with sensodyne, I still try to avoid getting very cold things on my teeth. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

marcel

« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2013, 11:02:54 AM »
With store bought ice,
for real hot summer weather: Hertog Mascarpone dream (with mascarpone ice cream, lemon icecream, lime sauce and meringue.)
Other big favourite: Hertog coffee royal (with coffee ice cream, chocolate sauce and chocolate coffeebeans)

My other favourite is my homemade icecream.
usualy melon, banana, maybe some other fruit, with a mix of different mints and honeyleaf and goat yoghurt.

Wherever you go..... There you are.

dawnfire

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2013, 12:12:25 AM »
dairy bell's nuts about chocolate. chocolate ice cream with peanut brittle, coconut and a chocolate syrup http://www.dairybell.com.au/products.php?producttype=P&prodid=8

SoCalVal

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2013, 02:26:42 AM »
B&R's Chocolate Almond
B&R's Jamoca Almond Fudge
Gunther's (local) Bittersweet Chocolate Chocolate Chip (only available in June -- yes, DH had to go get some for me yesterday)
Gunther's Hawaiian Coconut
Sophie's Crepes (Japantown in SF) Black Sesame Gelato
Yogurtagogo's (local) Raspberry Pomegranate Tart Nonfat Frozen Yogurt (I eat this one with no guilt at all)

lowspark

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2013, 10:28:47 AM »
When I was a kid, I loved Baskin Robbins "Baseball Nut". I haven't been to a Baskin Robbins in years. I wonder if they still make that.

Wow! I forgot all about that flavor. I had a birthday cake with white cake and Baseball Nut when I was kid. We don't have Baskin Robbins where I live. According to their site, they still make it.  My favorite regular flavors are Butter Pecan (if it is fresh pecans) and Chocolate Chip Cookie dough.

They do?!! I might have to stop by sometime and see if they have it. I honestly don't even remember what it consisted of (other than some kind of nut, obviously), just that I pretty much got it every time we went.

ETA: OK, I just went and looked it up. From their website:
Baseball NutŪ Ice Cream
Here's the pitch: vanilla flavored ice cream and cashews with a black raspberry ribbon. You'll charge the mound every time.

It does sound pretty darn good and refreshing! LOL
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:31:13 AM by lowspark »

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2013, 01:36:51 PM »
There is a dairy about 2 miles from my house.  They have the best pistachio ice cream I've ever had.  I also adore their peppermint patty. 

This weekend I drove out of my way to a place that was recommended to me and tried their caramel pecan crunch -- I won't be back.  The ice cream was too soft and I was covered in it after three lick of my cone.  Major melting!
Formerly Mrs.Bart