Author Topic: Have you ever lied to your children?  (Read 10622 times)

SoCalVal

Re: Have you ever lied to your children?
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2013, 02:42:58 PM »
I have no children yet, so I wanted to share this very cute lie two of my FB friends (and college classmates long ago) told their DD regarding the Tooth Fairy.  It seems the Tooth Fairy had been giving her $5 each time she lost a tooth, but, this time, the Tooth Fairy only had a dollar bill.  DD was a bit not happy and wrote this letter to the Tooth Fairy:

Dear Tooth Fairy,

I would like to know why is it that you only left $1 and the other times you left me $5?

Can you explain why?

Well if you can please right [sic] down why below.

from DD

Right it down here

Then she left space at the bottom of the note.

The father was in a quandary and wasn't quite sure how to respond to this note.  The next night, he left DD this reply:

Dear DD,

I thought that maybe you wouldn't mind helping out some needy children, so I donated some of your tooth money to a few kids whose tooth fairy ran out of money.

The Tooth Fairy in Charge.

The mom responded to that FB post stating that their DD was so excited knowing that HER tooth fairy was the Tooth Fairy in CHARGE.  Mom said she overheard DD tell her friend that DD's tooth fairy is in charge of all the other tooth fairies.

I've always loved that story (it's a little over a year old).  Someday, DD will realize her parents lied to her, but what a fun lie!  :)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2013, 03:09:29 PM »
I have no children yet, so I wanted to share this very cute lie two of my FB friends (and college classmates long ago) told their DD regarding the Tooth Fairy.  It seems the Tooth Fairy had been giving her $5 each time she lost a tooth, but, this time, the Tooth Fairy only had a dollar bill.  DD was a bit not happy and wrote this letter to the Tooth Fairy:

Dear Tooth Fairy,

I would like to know why is it that you only left $1 and the other times you left me $5?

Can you explain why?

Well if you can please right [sic] down why below.

from DD

Right it down here

Then she left space at the bottom of the note.

The father was in a quandary and wasn't quite sure how to respond to this note.  The next night, he left DD this reply:

Dear DD,

I thought that maybe you wouldn't mind helping out some needy children, so I donated some of your tooth money to a few kids whose tooth fairy ran out of money.

The Tooth Fairy in Charge.

The mom responded to that FB post stating that their DD was so excited knowing that HER tooth fairy was the Tooth Fairy in CHARGE.  Mom said she overheard DD tell her friend that DD's tooth fairy is in charge of all the other tooth fairies.

I've always loved that story (it's a little over a year old).  Someday, DD will realize her parents lied to her, but what a fun lie!  :)

That is pretty cool.

Iris

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2013, 06:48:55 PM »
NestHolder, I don't want to quote your post and have the text show up, but I'm so sorry you went through that. The image of a father having to say that to his daughters breaks my heart. I think that that is a lie that many adults are told as well because as you point out, what good does it do to know the truth? I would do exactly what your father did.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Arrynne

« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »
I certainly didn't make a habit of it, but when my small DD asked, "Mummy, what's this?" and the correct answer was, "That?  Why, that is Mummy's vibrator," I am fairly sure I was shockingly untruthful.

That's Mommy's massager. No, you can't use it, It's not for sharing. Put it back please.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2013, 08:35:10 PM »
I certainly didn't make a habit of it, but when my small DD asked, "Mummy, what's this?" and the correct answer was, "That?  Why, that is Mummy's vibrator," I am fairly sure I was shockingly untruthful.

That's Mommy's massager. No, you can't use it, It's not for sharing. Put it back please.
That's Mummy's electric ear cleaner.

snappylt

« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2013, 11:42:02 PM »
The stories in this thread remind me of the wild animals who were "so tired they fell asleep beside the road".

One of my wife's friends was worried about upsetting her children when they were young.  She would not tell them that the motionless animals they saw alongside the roads had been hit by cars.  Instead she made up stories that they had been so sleepy they had decided to take naps, right there, next to the highway.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2013, 11:45:52 PM »
I would like to point out that it is possible to be kind and considerate while telling the truth. Some things are better left unsaid, based on the maturity and age of the other person.

Having one's parents lie about nearly everything or ignore questions is far worse, IMHO.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2013, 12:30:35 AM »

I do omission or changing the subject.  If asked directly and they are intent on getting the answer, I answer truthfully.  Or I will simply tell them that they are too young for an exact answer but here's what I can say about it.  I too was raised with a liar and it bothered me a lot.  So I don't even lie about Santa/Tooth Fairy or anything.  Oh and I am infamous with my kids for the noncommittal answer which I know they will remember and probably complain when they are older.  Which is Mmmhmm? :D

This is what DH and I try to do.  I don't know that I've ever lied to Babybartfast, even in a "making it age-appropriate" way (although chances are I have and don't remember when).  However, answering in a NON-age-appropriate way can be a good way to shut down the Cycle Of Why:

Her: Mommy, why did that car just go in front of you?

Me: Maybe he didn't see the light.

Her: Why?

Me: I guess he might not have been paying attention.

Me: Maybe he was doing something else, like checking his cell phone.

Me: Maybe he saw a text message come through.

Me: (getting bored with this) Because the light from inside the phone screen comes shooting out very fast through the air, and some of it went into his eyeballs.  Inside your eye, you have two types of cells - rods and cones.  The rods help you see outlines and black and white and movement, while the cones help you see colors.  The cones have a narrower functional field of view, though.  Here's how they work . . .

Voila, no more questions about the car who ran the light  :P  As a bonus, sometimes she breaks out with trivia about rods and cones (or similar topics) and throws her preschool teachers for a loop  :D

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2013, 01:20:11 AM »
Oh NestHolder...that's news no one should ever have to deliver.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Amava

« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2013, 03:50:46 AM »
Her: Mommy, why did that car just go in front of you?

Me: Maybe he didn't see the light.

Me: I guess he might not have been paying attention.

Me: Maybe he was doing something else, like checking his cell phone.

Me: Good question, dear, very good question. I'm 40 years old and I still don't understand that.

StarFaerie

« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2013, 07:31:24 AM »
When he was young my son hated Avocado, but loved "Yummy Green Nacho Stuff". So much so that I had to buy double makings of "Yummy Green Nacho Stuff" every time I made nachos, tacos and sandwiches with it. He'd eat it by the spoonful.
Yummy Green Nacho Stuff? Yeah, it's plain mashed avocado.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2013, 10:00:54 AM »
I can relate.  I don't really care for avocado on it's own but love guacamole.  It's a texture thing really.  I don't like the mushy texture of avocado on its own but I don't mind it in dip because dip is supposed to be soft and mushy. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2013, 01:11:24 PM »
I don't have kids but I will admit to a few misleading statements when I was a nanny.

The little girl I was minding was going through a "chicken-only" phase. I made some breaded halibut and told her the fillets were chicken strips. She ate them and thought they were great. It wasn't that she didn't like/want fish, she was just hung up on chicken and we didn't have any. I knew if it was breaded and covered in ketchup she really wouldn't care, but I also knew she wouldn't get past the "not chicken" mental block if I told her "Oh just try the fish it tastes just like chicken," etc. And fish is the chicken of the sea so...either way she got her protein :P

I will also confess to fudging my numbers a bit when the kids were too young to tell time: I would send them to play outside and take regular breaks from their video games. Time magically ran much slower when they were outside, and much faster when they were on their game. However, when I needed them occupied and out of trouble while I made dinner their block of video game time suddenly became a very long 20 minutes. I think it evened out in the end.  :-\

As an aside, I will say I notice deflection is much more common than outright lying with parents. It seems easier to say "I don't know ask *someone else*" when you don't feel like explaining, or trying to placate them with "You will learn about that later/when you are older."

~*~*~*
ETA: reading some of the other posts about lying to 'protect' kids made me think of Marge from "The Simpsons." She was in Chinatown with her kids and there were butchered rabbits in the window. Daughter Lisa asked "Mom are those bunnies dead?" Marge said "No honey, they're just sleeping...upside down...and inside out."  ::)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 01:41:01 PM by Softly Spoken »
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

beakiebean

« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2013, 06:18:55 PM »
I generally try to be truthful with the kiddo about most things and there's some things (like medical procedures/pain that I'm adamant about being dead honest on) but I've definitely told a few fibs in her lifetime.

Recently after a 3 day battle I told my daughter if she didn't let me take the splinter that was festering in her foot out it could get infected and her foot would fall off. Not only did she let me get the splinter out she's developed quite the obsessive wound care routine now with the peroxide and the neosporin.

Also she "hates onions" which is total BS because I put onions in dang near everything and she eats them all the time. So on the occasions where she digs out a tiny piece of onion and complains that "there's onions in this" I tell her it's chopped garlic.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 06:22:02 PM by beakiebean »

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2013, 06:44:17 PM »
The stories in this thread remind me of the wild animals who were "so tired they fell asleep beside the road".

One of my wife's friends was worried about upsetting her children when they were young.  She would not tell them that the motionless animals they saw alongside the roads had been hit by cars.  Instead she made up stories that they had been so sleepy they had decided to take naps, right there, next to the highway.

I know I've never quite forgiven my parents - usually so sensible and straightforward and honest in their answers to their kids' questions on sex/politics/LifeTheUniverseAndEverything, etc. - for LambGate:

I was born Oop North in Cumbria, where sheep are a major feature of the scenery. When travelling by car through the rural areas, happily sheep-watching, toddler me was confused by the fact that all the frisky little lambs had unaccountably disappeared between journeys...

...according to Mum and Dad, they'd "all gone on holiday". ("On a one-way ticket," one of them would occasionally add sotto voce.) ::)