Author Topic: Dad Just Totally Made Me Cry.....  (Read 2208 times)

Yarnspinner

Dad Just Totally Made Me Cry.....
« on: May 30, 2013, 08:26:22 PM »
...and it's a good thing.

He just arrived from down south a week ago...just in time for an alternating heat wave and freezing cold.  The cold was a good thing because my air conditioning crashed in the room where Dad sleeps and I was trying to scrape together cash to pay for the part that would be required and which costs more than a new ac (which is still a financial stretch for me right now).

He just informed me that he had gotten in touch with the air conditioner people and they were installing a new AC tomorrow and HE was paying for it, darn it and I wasn't to argue.

Ladies and gentlemen, I think I scared him when I burst into tears and almost kissed his feet.

Sometimes he makes me want to scream and pull my hair out (I mean, seriously, I have had to buy him a new alarm clock because he doesn't like waking up to the three I already own) but this goes above and beyond "helping out" adult children who should be able to take care of themselves by now.

He's getting a real good Father's Day gift.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Dad Just Totally Made Me Cry.....
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:43:58 PM »
He made me want to cry! I am so happy you two are enjoying your time together. How long is he staying?

veronaz

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 09:01:11 PM »
What a nice gesture!

Yeah, I know the feeling.  There were a couple times when each of my parents saved my (adult) butt, in a manner of speaking.

Library Dragon

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 09:12:36 PM »
Very nice.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

NyaChan

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:15:19 PM »
That's so sweet  :)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 09:19:30 PM »
I always like these kinds of stories.  And just in time for Father's Day.  :)

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 10:51:35 PM »
What an awesome dad!

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 12:39:04 AM »
That is awesome!!!!  Just when we think our gruff old dads are gonna drive us crazy...they go and do something sweet!

bo

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 06:03:29 AM »
There should be a like button! ;)

cwm

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 09:17:28 AM »
Yay for your dad! I know my parents have gone above and beyond a few times since I reached "adulthood", and it's always floored me.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 10:41:59 AM »
That's wonderful. I had one of those moments when we moved into our new place - my parents came and not only bought us new bookcases, which we needed (we had so many mismatched ones, but they were all going to be on one wall and needed to match), but spent most of one whole day of their trip assembling them for us (I had hurt my back, and DP was still pretty frail). All told, not a huge expense or a tremendous amount of time, but done at just the right moment where it had an immense impact.

Sometimes, they surprise us. :-)

bo

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 01:01:12 PM »
My Father in Law drives me insane. He is judgmental, opinionated, outspoken, and gruff.

That said when we lived in Montana over a 1000 miles from my homestate. In a small town where the nearest airport that has two terminals and not many flights go out a day and no direct flight to Homestate. So flying home is an all day affair.

My dad fell ill suddenly and was rushed to the hospital. It happend Saturday night and there was no way I could fly out in time. My inlaws rushed no questions asked and used their miles to get me a ticket for Monday morning back to Homesate. I thanked them profusely but they brushed me off with "This is what family does."

My father in law is a mixed blessing. Whenever he drives me insane, I remember when the chips are down they are there for us.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 01:05:51 PM »
How sweet of him!  My mom is like that too. Several years back, when the transmission blew unexpectadly on my car, she sent me a very generous check, enough to pay 1/3 of the cost to replace it, which was several thousand dollars.

And I just bought a new used car, and she again, sent me a check to "help out" with the down payment etc. I don't ask, but am very grateful, and always appreciate when she does that. So now that I'm a bit better off, I will sometimes send her stuff "just because" books for her Kindle, and so on, which she still "yells" at me for and tells me its not necesary.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 05:35:03 PM »
Just remembered that I should respond:  Ladyknight, Dad is staying for the next month and a half.

I love the man to pieces but he does drive me out of my tiny china from time to time.  He's bought himself a whole lot of immunity with the air conditioner this time around!  Otherwise he might find himself sitting by the curb after some of his funner moments:

1) Asking me to go pick up his lottery tickets ten minutes before I leave for work
2) Complaining about the price of things while spending close to thirty dollars a week on scratch cards that net him five bucks at the most.  (He once hit a ticket that got him seventy five dollars and my brother and I asked him how much  he thought he had spent to win that.....)
3) Calling me to ask for various and sundry food items that are not sold in this part of the country.  (I KNOW they have that brand at Harris Teeter...that's Harris Teeter's brand and guess what:  no Harris Teeters up this way!)
4) Telling ME to get off the computer and go to bed when he sits up watching ball games. 
5) Oh, those ball games.  I think that if there was no ESPN or various other sports channels, Dad would be able to bring one in using coathangers and a See-n-Say a la E.T.
6) The all-flipping-cowboys-all-the-time-channel.
7) (My biggest gripe)  YOU HAVE HEARING AIDS NOW.  PUT THEM IN SO I DON'T RUIN MY VOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love having him visit.  I love having him to say hello to when I get home at night.  I love that he gives me a big hug and says I am always going to be his baby even though I am currently 58 years old and waaaaay to big to be a baby.  I love his long and crazy stories.  I love all that and more.

Getting up at six a.m. so he can have Dunkin' Donuts coffee before I go to work?  Not so much.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 11:07:17 PM »
That's really sweet. Your OP and also your update remind me so much of my own Dad.  :)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz