Author Topic: A Visit to MIL that Could Get Odd  (Read 3557 times)

daen

Re: A Visit to MIL that Could Get Odd
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 11:51:24 AM »
Maybe the lady has every intention of dropping in on her memorial service.  I don't think anybody can prove she won't be able to do exactly that.  It is presumptuous, disrespectful and impolite to assume everyone shares one's own spiritual and religious or non-religious views.  I am sure no one from this forum would do that deliberately, would you?

I thought the matter was settled.

I haven't seen anything on this thread that I would call 'presumptuous, disrespectful or impolite'. 

I have not noticed any reference to 'spiritual, religious or non-religious views'. 

All of the posters have been kind and helpful.

Could someone help me figure out what White Lotus is trying to say?

I believe White Lotus is referring to Maude's response, quoted below.

Part of the reason for the gathering is to make a video to be shown at MIL's Memorial Service.  She wants the people with whom she lives to 'see her family all at once'. 

MIL does not seem to understand that at her Memorial service she will no longer be alive.
The people with whom she lives probably suffer from dementia or other aged-related conditions
and will probably have little memory of or interest in her.
<snip>

ETA: Bolding mine. (I am also sure the statement was not made presumptuously, disrespectfully, or impolitely.)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:59:54 AM by daen »

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 11:55:40 AM »
It makes no sense in the context of the thread, so maybe it's a response to another one and just in the wrong place?

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 12:00:15 PM »
It makes no sense in the context of the thread, so maybe it's a response to another one and just in the wrong place?

Maude stated that MIL will not attend her own memorial service. White Lotus seemed to take that as an assertion that there is no afterlife, which she feels is disrespectful to those who believe in an afterlife.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 12:23:57 PM »

Maude stated that MIL will not attend her own memorial service. White Lotus seemed to take that as an assertion that there is no afterlife, which she feels is disrespectful to those who believe in an afterlife.

Ouch, you're probably right.  I don't think Maude was pushing her beliefs or was even out of line.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 12:37:08 PM »
Again, thanks to everyone.

I believe this matter is settled.  Let us bring it to an end. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »
...    In that situation, I don't think I would want to be told that I couldn't have, or attend, an event I wanted very much, because someone else was trying to maximize the number of uninteresting days I had left.

I LOVE the way you phrased that!   :)