Author Topic: Chicago Pizza  (Read 800 times)

Library Dragon

Chicago Pizza
« on: May 31, 2013, 05:40:07 PM »
I'll be in Chicago next month for the national library convention.  One of my staff members is receiving a national award for the paralibraian of the year.  She has requested that we have Chicago style pizza.  I dislike deep dish pizza, but figure she deserves to try this local specialty.

Does anyone have a recommendation other than Pizzeria Uno?  I would prefer an independent pizzeria, but know that may not be possible.  We are staying on S. Michigan near Balbo Ave, but will have passes for the bus. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

wheeitsme

Re: Chicago Pizza
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 06:07:24 PM »
We just came from a visit, and we went to Giardinos.  The pie was good, they can be found in safe areas, and they have thin crust pizzas, as well.

...and paralibrarian of the year?  Awesome!!!

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 06:20:18 PM »
I love Giordano's myself.  http://giordanos.com  They have their menu online.  Unfortunately don't have the version of the veggie special that was my favorite anymore :(

Oh and I like to ask for extra sauce on the side so that you can dip your crust into it. 

AngelicGamer

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 11:01:25 PM »
I was going to suggest Lou Malnati's, but that's a bit far from where you're staying.  Old Chicago Pizza is at 742 East 79th Street - there are good reviews there but I'm not sure if it's a chain or not.

Why are you against going to Uno's?  It's good pizza.  ;D

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Library Dragon

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 11:10:23 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations for Giardinos.  I'll also check out Old Chicago Pizza.

I've been to Pizzeria Uno's a few times in different locations in the US and didn't like the pizza.  I'd rather try someplace I haven't been to yet. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

cwm

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 01:28:49 PM »
Old Chicago is a chain, we've got them all across Kansas. They're not bad, but they're nothing special either.

When I was up there I went to a really neat place near the Lincoln Park Zoo, but I can't remember the name of it or exactly where it was, just that it was close to the zoo and had some amazing food.

Nornster

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 02:50:39 PM »
Was it a pizza place?  If so maybe My Pi on Clark?

cwm

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 09:31:12 PM »
I know it was Italian, I didn't have pizza, but they had this delicious dish where they put a thing of cheese on the bottom of a dish, then wrapped the sides in bread, put pasta into it, topped it with more bread, and baked it. Then when they brought it out, they flipped it so the cheese was on top and it was a bread bowl, and it was SOOOOO good. My mouth is watering just remembering that.