News:

• April 22, 2018, 07:36:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to address a letter when you don't know their name?  (Read 2623 times)

NyaChan

How to address a letter when you don't know their name?
« on: June 02, 2013, 11:44:19 PM »
I'm sending in a cover letter and resume to a local government office.  Their website instructs applicants to send their resume to a certain address and to mark it Attn: Office Administrator.

Their website does not identify who the Office Administrator is so I really don't know how to do the line for Dear X: or To X:

Any ideas?

katycoo

Re: How to address a letter when you don't know their name?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 11:55:25 PM »
Dear Sir/Madam

Dear Administrator

To Whom It May Concern

White Lotus

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 09:34:02 AM »
Ladies and Gentlemen:  or Dear Sir or Madam: are traditional and quite correct. 

PastryGoddess

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 09:46:01 AM »
Most, not all US government offices on the city/county/state/federal levels have a website with a staff directory. 

If it's really important to you, call and ask for the name.  If not, I POD katycoo

Shoo

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 09:58:47 AM »
Good morning,

Good afternoon,

Greetings,

Dear Office Administrator,

z_squared82

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 10:52:38 AM »
Dear Sir/Madam

Dear Administrator

To Whom It May Concern

I use this one all the time.

cwm

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 09:39:43 AM »
Dear Sir/Madam

Dear Administrator

To Whom It May Concern

I do emails for my job a lot, and sometimes the referrer that I'm emailing gives me an email address (generally in my line of work first initial, last name) but no name. I usually start those emails off with a simple greeting.

Hello,

(email body here)

Then again, the emails I send out are only vaguely formal, YMMV.

NyaChan

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 09:46:21 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I opted for using Administrator for the salutation.  Our CDO drills into our heads that one MUST use an actual name, and also insists that we should follow the guidelines laid out by the employers, but they don't really account for situations where the CDO rules and the employer guidelines conflict. 

ScubaGirl

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 09:47:22 AM »
This is only slightly related but it reminded me of when I was sending a card and didn't know the name.  See, on the way to and from work I would pass a house with beautiful, well maintained flowers all around.  I looked forward to it every spring/summer for years.  Finally I figured I should let them know that someone else appreciated their efforts so I bought a thank you card and mailed it to "the house with the flowers" (I knew the street address from their mailbox).  I just said I drove by each day for work and appreciated the view.  I debated before doing that for quite a while, actually.  I didn't want to come across as scary or a stalker.  I hope I was alright.

cwm

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 10:14:11 AM »
This is only slightly related but it reminded me of when I was sending a card and didn't know the name.  See, on the way to and from work I would pass a house with beautiful, well maintained flowers all around.  I looked forward to it every spring/summer for years.  Finally I figured I should let them know that someone else appreciated their efforts so I bought a thank you card and mailed it to "the house with the flowers" (I knew the street address from their mailbox).  I just said I drove by each day for work and appreciated the view.  I debated before doing that for quite a while, actually.  I didn't want to come across as scary or a stalker.  I hope I was alright.

If I had gotten a letter like this, I would have enjoyed it a great deal. Small things like that really make my day, and I wouldn't think it's creepy at all. It's nice when someone acknowledges shared beauty.