Author Topic: So is this normal?  (Read 6736 times)

Poppea

Re: So is this normal?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 02:25:33 PM »
I agree, with pp that the brother was treated very badly and I'd start putting out feelers for a new position.

Never the managers or anyone important of course, usually the receptionist or a contract worker.

So receptionists aren't important parts of an organisation?

A receptionist is not a professional employee, they are a staff worker.  Staff workers support the profesisonals, that doesn't mean they are not important.

I would be sending out my resume too. 

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 02:56:44 PM »
Not normal at all. I agree w/ the previous posters; it's time to start looking elsewhere.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 07:04:17 PM »
Did they at least thank him and bring him back some lunch? If not, then he should be looking for employment elsewhere.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

KarenK

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 08:25:48 PM »
I agree, with pp that the brother was treated very badly and I'd start putting out feelers for a new position.

Never the managers or anyone important of course, usually the receptionist or a contract worker.

So receptionists aren't important parts of an organisation?

I think you are finding offense where none was meant.
I agree. I think it's clear "important" in this context means "high ranking person," not "actually useful in running the organization".

I took Nyachan's remark as sarcasm.

DavidH

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 08:58:48 PM »
It's very unusual.  Is he a full time employee or a contractor.  If the latter, it is less odd, but still concerning.  Is the the only issue he's had or is there more to it?

Lexophile

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 04:00:18 PM »
In my opinion, his management has sent him a message. The message says that he really isn't part of the "family" and that everyone else at the organization is.

The amount of time he has been there makes no difference. They hired him. If they wanted to keep their junior staff (staff retention is a major concern at most successful organizations), they wouldn't be so blatantly exclusionary.

I'm incensed on his behalf. Not because he was asked to watch the phones (I think everyone should have to at some point in their careers), but because he was invited and then uninvited and excluded while everyone else got to go and celebrate. That's just rotten.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 10:35:02 AM »
In my experience, it is not normal for a member of the professional staff to cover the reception desk for the admin staff during something like this.  I find this very strange.

Pod both Shoo and Art!  I'd be highly offended and would probably start working on my resume.

veronaz

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 11:01:38 AM »
Maybe he has (perhaps unknowingly) ticked off the wrong person.  Could be someone in authority or someone who is ‘close’ to someone who makes decisions.  When that’s the case, there are usually other signs - sometimes subtle, sometimes not.

Regardless, I wouldn't be sticking around there any longer than I had to.

peaches

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 11:24:56 AM »
Maybe he has (perhaps unknowingly) ticked off the wrong person.  Could be someone in authority or someone who is ‘close’ to someone who makes decisions.  When that’s the case, there are usually other signs - sometimes subtle, sometimes not.

Regardless, I wouldn't be sticking around there any longer than I had to.

I had the same reaction. Is someone trying to send him a message, or are they just clueless about how to treat their employees? 

The other thing is, receptionists are important, they play a critical role. They are the front line, they make an impression on the public about the organization. It's just dumb to put someone in that role who isn't trained for it, even for a few hours.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »
I do not think it is a normal thing to do.  Like another poster stated, if the company can afford to do a four hour lunch for almost all of it's staff, but one, then they could have hired a temp. for those few hours.

I don't think that they meant it personally towards your brother though, as in, he is not doing a good job.  The company appears to be just clueless in how to treat all of their employees.  And, I think, they just went with the last person on the totem pole, so to speak, in regards as to who would man the reception desk.

What they should have done was just close up shop for those hours.  Would they really lose that much business?

Also, I sincerely hope that someone brought something back for your brother from the luncheon.

Would I look for a new job?  Possibly.

Would this leave a bad taste in my mouth as their employee?  Most definitly.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 12:30:38 PM »
...   The day of the luncheon one of the bosses told him that they'd decided hiring a temp would cost too much and asked him to stay at the reception desk during the lunch so that the reception staff could attend the lunch.  ...

So the normal reception staff attended the fancy lunch (complete with important CLIENTS with whom your brother may eventually have professional contact), but he was told to stay behind? 

No.  That most definitely is NOT normal.  (And my brother, my husband and my son are all CPAs.)

snappylt

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 02:43:39 PM »
...   The day of the luncheon one of the bosses told him that they'd decided hiring a temp would cost too much and asked him to stay at the reception desk during the lunch so that the reception staff could attend the lunch.  ...

So the normal reception staff attended the fancy lunch (complete with important CLIENTS with whom your brother may eventually have professional contact), but he was told to stay behind? 

No.  That most definitely is NOT normal.  (And my brother, my husband and my son are all CPAs.)

lellah,

I'm thinking along the lines of grandma dishes and others who've said this is not usual, especially because of the presence of clients there.  One would think they'd want him to meet the clients!

It's possible, though, (as others, too, have said) that this was just isolated thoughtlessness.  How does this incident compare with your brother's other experiences with that firm?  If this is the only case of shabby treatment and all the other signals he's receiving are positive, then maybe his resume can stay dusty.

something.new.every.day

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 05:34:52 PM »
Just to play devil's advocate, maybe they do NOT want him to meet the clients because they have observed him exhibiting awkward behavior, bad table manners, whatever. Or maybe his boss interacts with clients and he never needs to anyway. Also,  since he's a junior accountant, he is not necessarily a CPA or professional. He could be at the entry level and making copies and filling out spreadsheets for all we know. And for all we know, the administrative staff could be needed to interact with clients at this luncheon as they have a long-standing, friendly relationship that they have built with them. It's not always so black and white, and each company is different in size and in what each role means.

That said, it is really awful to leave one person out. Even if it was the receptionist. Just rude!

Stirling

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 02:49:11 PM »
I have worked for large multinational accounting firms in my career.  To answer your question, no it is not normal for a professional staff person to cover the reception desk so the rest of the professional staff and support staff can attend a professional luncheon where clients are present.  The partners usually want the professional staff at these things to help groom/train them to better perform their jobs. 

If I were in your brother's shoes I would start looking for something else since this is a clear sign that he isn't valued very highly at the firm, and that he has no longterm future there. 

EllenS

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 05:34:35 PM »
In companies where there is a hard divide between job duties of professional/admin (such as a law, medical or accounting office), it would be not only unsual, but downright silly to ask the jr. professional to take over reception.  A temp with reception expereince would do a much better job. 

May not be a personal dig, but very poor management in every way.