Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

How would you make a formal reception the best-ever formal reception?

(1/4) > >>

lellah:
I'm planning a thing.  A fancy thing.  Passed appetizers, desserts, drinks, decorations, music for around 150 people.  I also have a dream that everyone there will have the best time possible.  Can you, dear ehellions, tell me what makes you party at a party? 

What do you like to eat or drink or dance to or take home in your handbag?

something.new.every.day:
Who are your guests? That makes a bit of difference (old/young/people who know each other well already/a big group of strangers).

For me--- red wine, vegetarian food options, dance music from this decade, a place to sit where I can talk to my friends away from said dance music (and being seated near my friends).

I usually prefer casual over formal, though. 

Oh, and if you have a long event, make sure folks are taken care of throughout. For instance, if you serve food early but want folks to dance all night, maybe do "midnight snacks" later in the evening. 

ETA: And as they say in real estate, location, location, location. If I'm partying, I need to be able to take a cab home or stay in a hotel.  We have friends who try to host stuff at their place in the suburbs and no one wants to deal with it. 

*inviteseller:
Know your audience as far as decor and entertainment.  Make sure there is a food for a variety of tastes (vegan, vegetarian, carnivore,  gluten free), keep it simple..don't go overboard with the bells and whistles but more of an intimate type setting so people feel comfortable socializing.  And I agree with location.

Sharnita:

--- Quote from: something.new.every.day on June 02, 2013, 06:06:26 PM ---Who are your guests? That makes a bit of difference (old/young/people who know each other well already/a big group of strangers).

For me--- red wine, vegetarian food options, dance music from this decade, a place to sit where I can talk to my friends away from said dance music (and being seated near my friends).I usually prefer casual over formal, though. 

Oh, and if you have a long event, make sure folks are taken care of throughout. For instance, if you serve food early but want folks to dance all night, maybe do "midnight snacks" later in the evening.  ETA: And as they say in real estate, location, location, location. If I'm partying, I need to be able to take a cab home or stay in a hotel.  We have friends who try to host stuff at their place in the suburbs and no one wants to deal with it.

--- End quote ---

The bolded for sure.  I would add - some non-alcoholic options, some meat, some meat, some sweet, some savory. Music that is fun but not offensive.

Library Dragon:
Ensure that everyone has equal access to the food.  I've been to events where food comes out and is passed around those closest to the doors and the people on the other side of the room don't get anything but leftovers.  Those wonderful shrimp?  Sorry, only the people on side A had them and they had no incentive to move.  :'(

Make sure the food really is bite size.  I attended one party where the stuffed mushrooms were the size of bread plates.  Not easy to eat standing up.

I am pretty catholic in my food tastes, so as long as its done well I'm happy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version