Author Topic: Board Unavailable In the Mornings  (Read 6722 times)

veronaz

Re: Board Unavailable In the Mornings
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 02:46:11 PM »
I've had that problem for about a week or so......sometimes I can't get on the site until 10:00 +/-.  ??? :-\  Glad it's not just me.

Thought it was my computer but I have no problem getting onto other sites.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 02:53:31 PM »
I've been getting that, as well.

I looked back into older threads in this subfolder, and this is what the admin said: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=121555.msg2813973#msg2813973
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 02:56:27 PM »
I remember the Dame saying something about the server updating in the mornings.  As for the lunchtime downtime, I'm not sure what that is.

Most likely that poster is in a different time zone.
Utah

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 02:58:14 PM »
It was great for a few months but came back again in the last month or so.  Not sure why.  I haven't had the issues in the afternoon or evening, this time round, though.

It does explain the breakfast and lunch slowdown for the UK/Europe contingent, though.  Early AM here would be breakfast for them and 8-9 am would be just after lunch.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 08:16:42 AM »
I suffer from the same problem.  I've learned to copy my blog posts before hitting the "publish" button because I won't know if I'm in the morning dead zone.   

This is not a server or host provider problem.  It's called "table locking" and had to do with the forum software.   It is not an unknown problem with large forums.   The database table(s) can get so overloaded with requests that  they slow down.  It takes time then for them to "sort it out" and sometimes we help them out by rebooting the server.   A lot of what is happening in the morning is that a lot of you get to work, fire up those computers, check out Ehell and how many unread replies there  and the temporary search results log gets overloaded.   One way to speed up the forum is to disable these notifications of unread replies but I suspect most of you wouldn't like that.

I have begun pruning or disabling other features and logs. For example, I disabled the calendar which did not appear to be used anyway.   I also have deleted members who have not visited the forum in 3 years.   I will also be deleting threads that have not been posted in in years.   These were suggestions for improving the speed of the forum so we'll see how that goes.   

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 09:00:02 AM »
Thanks for your diligence, ehelldame. You rock!

Ehelldame

• Administrator
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 09:02:22 AM »
No problems this morning for me.   Forum is lightning fast.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 09:15:44 AM »
I'm on, too, with no issues.  I do kind of miss the calendar because it was fun to see people's birthdays but there were so many names on there that I didn't recognize, anyway.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jmarvellous

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 09:46:59 AM »
I had trouble for about 10 minutes this morning over breakfast.

Jones

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 09:58:38 AM »
I had trouble for about 10 minutes this morning over breakfast.
Me too, it didn't last long.

veronaz

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 10:34:52 PM »
I had trouble tonight for an hour - from about 9:20 PM until 10:30 PM EST couldn't get on the site.

jmarvellous

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 11:01:05 PM »
I had trouble tonight for an hour - from about 9:20 PM until 10:30 PM EST couldn't get on the site.
Me, too. Closer to 2 hours, actually.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 01:17:14 AM »
Me, too. Closer to 2 hours, actually.

I was deleting old member names and some topics,optimizing tables and cleaning up some logs at that time and it slows everything down when you crack the whip and make the mysql databases work more than usual.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 09:08:42 AM »
Working fine for me this morning, at a time I was normally having issues for the last couple of weeks.
Ontario

cwm

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 09:37:19 AM »
It was down for about 10 minutes this morning for me, but that's a wait time I can live with.