Author Topic: Does/Did your family sit down to dinner?  (Read 1902 times)

demarco

Re: Does/Did your family sit down to dinner?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 05:40:04 PM »
Growing up we rarely ate dinner together.  My father worked swing shift and my much older brother was never  home at a normal dinner time.  There was a lot of  screaming in the family when we were all  in the same room anyway so it was probably all to the good that we didn't eat together.  I usually ate in my room.

Now, DH usually gets home mid evening or later. I am struggling to maintain my weight and find it easier to eat early rather than late.  So, I hang out with DH in the family room while he eats but I don't eat then.  We do eat together on weekends and vacations. 

Library Dragon

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 05:46:26 PM »
When DSs lived at home we ate together as much as possible.  We ate in the kitchen.  No TV.  No phone calls.  Even if the boys left the table early they were not allowed to watch TV.  DH wasn't always there due to his hospital call schedule, but we tried.  We worked around sports schedules too. 

Things did a dramatic shift when DS1 was gone and DH regular work day was a 12 hour shift.  He didn't get home until after 8pm.  DS2 and I would eat together, but it wasn't quite the same.   

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Calistoga

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 05:55:43 PM »
Nope. We didn't have a kitchen table to eat at, and it just wasn't something we felt was necessary. Instead we cooked the food together and found our own space to eat in- usually my parents ate in their bedroom. Sometimes I'd come in and eat with them so I could watch Jeopardy and show off my uber knowledge with them.

Vall

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 05:56:48 PM »
Growing up, my family always, always ate dinner together.  I have many memories of eating meals together and talking.  The TV was turned off, the phone wasn't answered and no reading material was allowed at the table.  We talked.

When I was single and living alone, I usually splurged on an apartment with a separate dining room.  I really liked sitting at a table to eat even if I was eating alone.

When DH and I started looking at buying a home, I had to have a dining room.  I wouldn't compromise.  It's great.  We spend every evening together at the table eating dinner.  We talk.  No TV, electronic devices, phones, or reading material.  That's our time together to sit and talk about our day or whatever comes up.  Neither of us would give up that time together.  We work different shifts so our evening meal is the time that we connect with each other and share what's going on in our lives, what's going on in the world that interests us, our hopes, plans, general thoughts, etc.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »
Growing up, we almost always sat down to dinner.  It was one time where our schedules meshed and my parents and I could talk about anything and everything.  The conversation usually didn't get very intense or deep or anything, but I knew that, even if it was silly, my parents would still pay attention to what I said.  As I got older, my mom went back to school for a few years, and then I ended up getting a part time job, so our times to sit down at dinner together diminished, but were still greatly prized. 

My DH and I usually sit down and eat together as well.  I'd say it's probably 4 or 5 days out of 7 that we're able to.  We have approximately the same shifts at work, so that makes things pretty easy!  Sometimes we'll sit and talk, and sometimes we both bring a book with us and read.  It's just nice to both sit down and be together. 

nuit93

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 06:24:23 PM »
We did, although I never remember it being particularly bonding or positive.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 07:07:26 PM »
I grew up in a family where everyone sat down to dinner together and  raised my kids the same way.  However I hear it is rare anymore for families to do that.  What a tragedy.  Such a loss for everyone.  I guess with the two income family situation as it is now and everyone on the run and barely making it, that kind of thing is a luxury. 
My husband and I are the only ones in our household and even we don't eat together at the table often.  He seems to have a different hunger schedule than I have and we also eat pretty much differently.  He would survive on salads or green juice and bland stuff, but I like spicy stuff and like a salad with dinner, not for dinner.  On top of that I just have no interest whatsoever in cooking...been there, done that when the kids were little, so grabbing from the fridge is fine with me (healthy stuff, not junky stuff).  mThat reminds me, I have a couple of bunch of kale to wash up for dinner.  I should get to it.   :-\
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 07:17:24 PM »
We did, although I never remember it being particularly bonding or positive.

OP here.

We did take on our neighbor's suggestion. It wasn't really that hard to do, it just had to become habit. What I've found is that it may not seem bonding or positive at the time, but the benefits are more long term.  Some of you may recall that our DD, now 14, has special needs, and dinner time is not a great time for her...she's always bouncing around and never wants to just sit and eat.

However, even with some seemingly insurmountable barriers, she's learned:

1. Mom and Dad are always there to listen to her.
2. We expect certain behaviors from her that will be expected from society as she gets older.
3. Two words: table manners.
4. Making conversation. This is a tough one for her as she's not a good verbal communicator. We sometimes use "table topics" to get things going.

It's still a work in progress.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 07:50:12 PM »
During family dinners we talked about events or OUR days and events of THE day.  This usually wasn't a problem.  The problem came on the day that the new National Geographic arrived. 

I had to get to the magazine before my father did.  If I didn't, I'd have to undergo an intensive grilling about the latest articles and suffer great humiliation if I wasn't up on the Gobi Desert, the Great Barrier Reef or whatever the lead article was. 

I grew to hate National Geographic. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 08:20:10 PM »
We always ate dinner together. Dad was walking out when we got up but Mom, sis and I would eat breakfast together. Summers sis and I ate lunch at the swim and later country club.

Friday nights Mom and Dad would go out. Dad would call mom when he was leaving the office. She would wait 10 - 15 minutes and call Mac's Burger Joint. Dad would pick up our order and bring them home. THey would be marked Kimberly and Melissa. Dad would sit with us while Mom finished getting ready. That was the one night the TV would be on because it was 6 and Dad wanted to watch the local news.

Long time Houstonians 6 pm news friday nights in the 70s.

Dad would watch channel 2 one night, channel 11 the next, channel 13 the next then back to 2.

One fateful Friday it was channel 13's turn 6 pm on a Friday and I was 6

Me - Dad please change the channel
Dad - it is the news you don't watch it
Me - Daddy change to channel 11 Ron Stone is nice
Dad Hush
Me - Daddy Marvin Zindler is mean turn it to channel 11 lets watch Ron Stone
Dad Hush
Mom - Harvey If I made you watch Marvin Zindler's restaurant report while you were eating you would turn 15 shades of green and lose you dinner change it to channel 11

After that we never again had to eat our hamburger while listening to SLLLLLIIIIIIIMMMME in the ICE MACHINE or worse.

The part that stuck my parents funny was me calling Marvin Zindler mean. They asked why.

I said - I'm not allowed to call people gross and he is mean to people when he golfs. At which point Mom gave Dad the LOOK and comment something like little pitchers have big ears.

Dad HATED dealing with Mr. Zindler at golf tournaments and was very vocal about his complaints. On the other side Ron Stone helped Mom's civic group with various fundraisers - his wife was in the group I think. So he was nice.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

katycoo

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 08:29:27 PM »
We did as a family growing up.  DH and I don't often now due to lodgistics.  We don't always eat together full stop.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 08:30:26 PM »
Growing up, we ate a family meal together nearly every night. I remember that being an important part of our family life.

DS and I have breakfast together, all three of us have dinner together 6 days a week. As DS grows and gets older, I think it is important to have that time where he can talk about anything he needs to and we will listen.

lisat

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 08:41:27 PM »
Growing up we all ate dinner together. No TV and no phone. Expect for Sunday night when we got egg sandwiches and Constant Commet tea and got to watch  The Wonderful World of Disney and Mutual Hall's Wild Kingdom.
When we were teenagers we still ate together. When I got married and the rug rats came we ate together. Family time is where we caught up with what was going on. As my hubby deployed alot it was important to maintain the routine. As adults-when the girls come home to visit we still eat together and when it is just my husband and I still together. We really enjoy each others company. Sharing food is a vital part of our family.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 01:36:37 PM »
We eat as a family.  Dinner is a "thing" in our house.  Sometimes we all watch our favorite sitcom while we eat and sometimes we don't.  At any rate, it is a really nice time of the day for us all.  Helps us touch-base with one another.  Best part is that everyone helps clean up the kitchen after! ;-) 

This wasn't a tradition we started purposefully.  It just happened and I'm so glad it did! 

gingerzing

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 02:00:23 PM »
My folks and I almost always sat down for supper/dinner.  Granted it was a small house, so it was usually on tv trays in the living room.  And when I was about 12, my mom started having me make about 2 meals a week. 
Now my husband and I eat together almost every night.  And we are trying to get back in the habit of more home meals rather than eating out. 

There are tons of studies over the past 15-20 years on this subject.  The research has shown an association between regular family meals and improved family nutrition and overall well-being. And in general that families who eat together are happier, healthier, and more connected.