Author Topic: Does/Did your family sit down to dinner?  (Read 2211 times)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: Does/Did your family sit down to dinner?
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 02:07:39 PM »
We try to. Because I've got teenage sons with conflicting schedules it's not always possible.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Cami

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 02:27:18 PM »
My dd (who is now a young adult) once mused aloud that we are the only family she knows that sit down to dinner together 29/30 nights per month and we're also the only family she knows that gets along and she's the only kid she knows who likes to spend time with her parents.  She obviously sees a causal factor there.

Margo

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 02:39:15 PM »
Growing up, we always sat down together, at the table, for breakfast and dinner, and at weekends, generally for lunch, too.(although at weekends, unless we had plans, we didn't have to get up for breakfast if we didn't want to, but if you don't get up, you didnt  get  breakfast cooked for you, and had to clear up after yourself.)

We never had a TV in the dining room so we did have conversations over meals, and we were all expected to help from a very early age with things like setting and clearing the table and (a little later) washing up.

If one of us asked politely we would be allowed to take our meal, once served, to eat in the living room (we didn't have a video recorder until quite late on, so we would be allowed to go if there was something one of us was desperate to watch) but that would be the exception, not the rule.

We always used to eat the same meal, too. It really surprised me when I first visited friends homes and would find adults & children eating totally different meals, often at different meal times..

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2013, 02:58:53 PM »

If one of us asked politely we would be allowed to take our meal, once served, to eat in the living room (we didn't have a video recorder until quite late on, so we would be allowed to go if there was something one of us was desperate to watch) but that would be the exception, not the rule.

We always used to eat the same meal, too. It really surprised me when I first visited friends homes and would find adults & children eating totally different meals, often at different meal times..

Growing up we always ate dinner together; dinner every night unless someone was at a friends, or meeting, or dad was away on business, or just not home during mealtime. Or if I was sick, I might get dinner in bed, but it was soup, or toast, nothing fancy at all. When I got older, I swam competitively 2-3 nights a week, which worked out well since my parents could have all the stuff I didn’t like on those nights!  But if I was home, I was expected to sit down, and eat with my parents.  I never got a special meal either; if I didn’t like what was served, too bad. I could eat it or go to bed hungry.

Even after college living at home I ate with my parents most of the time, but if I wasn’t going to be home, it was expected I would let them know, as a courtesy, so they could again have something I didn’t like, go out, or not have to worry about waiting for me.

Once in a while, if something special was on, like the Superbowl, etc. we would all eat in front of the tv, but we had one, and it remained off during all meals. In contrast, my BFF growing up had the tv on all the time, during meals, and from the time they got up, until the time they went to bed.

gingerzing

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »

This.  This has been the thing that seems to be a stickler for several of my friends.  It is like my friends who cook have become short-order chefs for their family.  I get it if you have set aside plain noodles because the littles don't like spicy red sauce or if someone gets soy milk instead of dairy milk.  But I had one friend who cooked burger and fries for son, a pasta dish for daughter and steak with baked potatoes for her and hubby. 
My SIL has been known to stop at 2 or 3 different drive-thrus because one kid wanted Wendy's fries and a frosty, but the other kid wanted a McSandwich and the third just wanted a chicken sandwich and fries from some random place. 

Rohanna

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 04:33:42 PM »
When we can we do- my husband works what is called a fire-fighter's schedule, so it's not possible on most of his days on to all sit down together. I work as well, so with two boys and a job, sometimes I'm having to run around getting stuff done while the boys eat if he's on shift. We do eat together at the table most of his days off, and we have frequent family/friend gatherings at the house.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2013, 04:38:32 PM »
We definitely do.  When my husband and I were still dating, I'd make dinner a lot, and we started having dinner together at my tiny dining table.  Now that we're married with a child, it's just important for us to have that time together.  Dinner time is our family time, and I look forward to it every night (even if I don't look forward to cooking it every night).

Jones

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2013, 04:41:12 PM »
Hey if we are counting together in front of entertainment (TV, game, reading material) then my family actually eats together nearly every night. I was only counting "without" that stuff when I answered earlier in the thread.

Library Dragon

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2013, 12:12:29 AM »

This.  This has been the thing that seems to be a stickler for several of my friends.  It is like my friends who cook have become short-order chefs for their family.  I get it if you have set aside plain noodles because the littles don't like spicy red sauce or if someone gets soy milk instead of dairy milk.  But I had one friend who cooked burger and fries for son, a pasta dish for daughter and steak with baked potatoes for her and hubby. 
My SIL has been known to stop at 2 or 3 different drive-thrus because one kid wanted Wendy's fries and a frosty, but the other kid wanted a McSandwich and the third just wanted a chicken sandwich and fries from some random place.

This makes me nuts. One of my mantras was 'This isn't a restaurant and I'm not doing cooked to order meals.'. I think one of he reasons DSs have such eclectic tastes is that they were expected to try was was served for supper.  They didn't have to eat it al. If they didn't like it they didn't have to eat it all.  They did have to try three real bites in order to give it a real chance.  Now they aren't afraid to try new things.

This was part of eating together. Trying new foods, discussing them, and preferences.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Margo

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2013, 07:18:00 AM »

This makes me nuts. One of my mantras was 'This isn't a restaurant and I'm not doing cooked to order meals.'. I think one of he reasons DSs have such eclectic tastes is that they were expected to try was was served for supper.  They didn't have to eat it al. If they didn't like it they didn't have to eat it all.  They did have to try three real bites in order to give it a real chance.  Now they aren't afraid to try new things.

This was part of eating together. Trying new foods, discussing them, and preferences.

Yup, I don't remember my papretns ever cooking more than one meal. If you didn't like like it, you were not forced to eat it, but we all were taught early on to fend for ourselves, so you could make sandwiches or even cook something else (provided you cleared up after yourself, and didn't take tomorrow's dinner from the fridge) but we were expected to try new stuff, and we were expected to all sit down together.

As we got older and had avtivities in the evening or after school one person might have their portion set aside,to eat later when they got it, but the default setting was a family meal.

I think it has value in that it allows children to learn table manners by observation and practice instead of just by being told, including less obvious things like noticing and offering to pass dishes or condiments, learning to wait for everyone to finish before moving on to the next course etc, which I think are things which don't automatically come up if you are feeding the kids but not eating with them.

My mopther also pointed out that if you eat together and have conversations at meal times you tend to eat more slowly, which has benefits in terms of weight control, as you have time to notice you're not hungry any more, plus you don't need to adjust when you eat out or with others. (She attended a boarding school, where the rules were no talking during meals. I think they also ate in 2 sittings so were expected to eat fast. )

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2013, 05:50:15 PM »
When my parents were together we ate together as a family and my Dad still does with us when we eat at his place. He was always strict about the TV being off, which isn't a bad idea.

My Mum and stepdad usually ate separately from myself and my sisters while they watched TV, which I didn't mind as it was usually intimidating to have them at the table, particularly my stepdad.

DH and I eat together, we sometimes watch something together while we eat but we still talk to each other and sometimes we would turn off the TV if neither of us were paying attention to it. For special dinners, TV is off or maybe on the jazz radio channel.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2013, 07:08:44 PM »
Growing up, the whole family sat down to dinner, in the dining room, every night. Well, dinner on Sundays was at noon. Mom, Dad and us seven kids.

Breakfast during the school year was staggered as we went to 2 or 3 different schools, with different start times, so we'd trickle down to the kitchen in shifts. During the summer, Dad would leave for work early, but most of us would eat breakfast with Mom in the kitchen. Once you were in high school, you were allowed to sleep in during breakfast during the summer.

Lunch was always eaten together, in the kitchen.

As we grew older and the boys started joining sports teams (there weren't any for girls back in the 60s), they might miss dinner one or two nights a week, but the rest of us all ate together. The four oldest of us had assigned chores--setting the table, clearing the table, doing the dishes and sweeping the floor/taking out the trash. I can remember more than one night when the three oldest boys would be at a game or practice and I had to do all the chores that night, and many more where I had to do the chores for one or two of them. Now, when we have family get-togethers, I sit back and let them do the clean-up. I figure they owe me years of doing their chores.

I remember being taught table manners and how to carry on a conversation while at the dinner table. As well as the boys' burping contests while Mom was out in the kitchen getting dessert.

No TV was allowed, no radio, we couldn't take phone calls during dinner. Sunday dinner was a pain, because of the no TV rule. The boys would all be watching a football game and Mom didn't want to make them miss any of it, so she'd hold the food until half-time. I'd be starving, but I couldn't have a snack, because we were "about to eat." Only with all the time-outs and stuff in sports, those last 3 minutes of a quarter last half an hour.

Oh, and everyone had to wear a shirt at the dinner table. Not really an issue for me, but in the summer the boys tried to wear as little clothing as possible.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2013, 09:44:46 AM »
Perhaps it was because I was an only child but my mother never made 'kid' food.  I always ate what me parents were eating.  This was only a problem when we had fish.  My father liked his fish just dredged in white flour and fried.  It never tasted like much of anything. 

It wasn't until I went to College that I learned fish could taste good.