Author Topic: Have you heard of a stay-vacation?  (Read 1880 times)

Jocelyn

Have you heard of a stay-vacation?
« on: June 03, 2013, 07:24:28 PM »
If so, what do you think it means?

A local RV sales company just ran an ad about how you'd want to buy one of their RVs for your stay-vacation. I've always heard the term refer to staying at home as opposed to going somewhere. What fun would it be to park an RV in your driveway and camp in it for a week? ::)   From my understanding of the word, if you leave your home and go anywhere, even if it's to a local state park, and stay THERE, it's not a stay-vacation.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Have you heard of a stay-vacation?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 07:28:03 PM »
A "stayaction" is when you stay home and vacation in your home or at least in your home town/city/general area. If you are going somewhere more then a day trip away, its not a stayaction.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:41:44 PM »
A "stayaction" is when you stay home and vacation in your home or at least in your home town/city/general area. If you are going somewhere more then a day trip away, its not a stayaction.

'Staycations' can be fun if you use them to see your town from a tourist's point of view. Doing what a guide book suggests instead of what you know can be a real eye opener.   The idea of buying an RV and living out of your own driveway instead of in your comfy home strikes me as litle short of masochistic as well as very expensive.     

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 07:48:34 PM »
I thought another purpose of a stay-cation is to not spend as much money as you would on a "regular" vacation where you'd be traveling somewhere. Some RVs can cost as much as a house!

ETA: And renting an RV can cost more than renting a hotel room.

Library Dragon

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 08:36:57 PM »

'Staycations' can be fun if you use them to see your town from a tourist's point of view. Doing what a guide book suggests instead of what you know can be a real eye opener.   The idea of buying an RV and living out of your own driveway instead of in your comfy home strikes me as litle short of masochistic as well as very expensive.   

Agreed.  At the Library we will have stay-cation activities during winter and spring holidays.  Fun things, different than summer reading.  The idea being to explore different topics and kids not bored because the family couldn't on on vacation.  The year I did a culture safari was a lot of fun. 

Pitching tents in the backyard sounds more fun than spending $$$ on an RV.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 09:39:29 PM »
Agreed, it means staying at home and doing vacation things--meaning both not doing your paid work and not treating this as the ideal time to paint the spare bedroom or such. That could be tourist stuff, or just taking the opportunity to go to the beach in the middle of the week.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 11:03:11 PM »
I think the RV dealer was trying to make a joke that if you have an RV every vacation is a staycation because you take your home with you, and it fell flat

I have a couple of friends that are doing the homeschool while seeing the US in our RV thing. Basically the husband's job is going to require him to go to distance states and stay there for up to two months, but they are considered based out of Houston.

So my friend and their girls will follow him up to his assignment in the RV. They call it their staycation in X city on their blog.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 11:11:07 PM »
It sounds very strange to me, as well - and if it's a marketing gimmick it falls pretty flat.

Now, maybe they're trying to make the point that if you have an RV you can hit the road at fairly short notice (depends on where you're going, some popular places require reservations) and spend two or three days at a place maybe a few hours drive away.  But I still would not call that a stay-cation.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 12:57:31 AM »
I do staycations.  I started it with my older DD when she was young.  I couldn't afford for us to travel somewhere, so I would take a weeks vacation and everyday we would do something different..zoo, museum, all day picnic at the park, stage show, ect.  It was fun and I didn't have to pack or worry about hotels.   

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 03:51:19 AM »
I kind of like the idea of a staycation, like going camping at a local park, but with reservations (no pun intended)  What it comes down to for me is that it is the same amount of work as packing up to go miles away, which I hate to do, and you still end up using a grungy old bathroom shared with strangers and generally doing what would be easier at home.  The things I see as advantages is that your money stays in your community and the ride home is 15 minutes instead of hours.  Oh, and if you forget something you can run home and get it.  Now going to a bed and breakfast where everyone waits on you...neat idea!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

veryfluffy

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 05:52:49 AM »
In the UK, a staycation means staying in the country, rather than going abroad for a holiday. Here, it does not mean staying at home.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 06:50:51 AM »
Yeah, RV in the driveway does not a staycation make, and doesn't sound much like a vacation to me, but rather a marketing gimmick falling flat.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 10:26:42 AM »
We have done staycations which consisted of day trips to the beach, zoo, local museums, parks, theme parks, anything within two hours drive from home is game. We usually have one meal out and picnic for the remainder of the day. We love to picnic!

squeakers

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 02:44:17 PM »
We just did a stay-cation with our pop-up camper.  Well, it was parked in the drive-way of DH's buddy.  It did two things: allowed us to see if there was anything missing from the camper before we went on a real camping trip (bowls/spices/toilet paper/bug spray) and it let us know if the camper needed any work done to it (running lights/interior lights/AC working/heater working/no roof leaks).

I was impressed with our campsite: free wi-fi, a tv in the "pavilion" (the shop), the "hosts" made us breakfast one day (we made it the next).

My only complaints were the swimming pool always had a dog in it (baby pool that their Lab plays in), the hot tub only had bubbles when the Lab jumped in it (same baby pool) and one of the other campsites were really pigs (really, a pig and a goat).  ;D

Doing the stay-cation also let the guys get a lot of work done on their garden. At the end of last summer they were canning salsa while we were camping.  Canning can be done at the campsite.. putting in the plants has to be done at home ;)

A lot of the time we have our camper set up at home.  DH will use it as a study room.  The boys will play Magic the Gathering in it.  It also comes in handy as a guestroom during the summer when my nephews come and spend the night. It sleeps 6 comfortably.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Margo

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 03:07:50 PM »
In the UK, a staycation means staying in the country, rather than going abroad for a holiday. Here, it does not mean staying at home.
I've heard it used in both senses. My first thought if someone said they were having a stay cation would be that they were staying at home, but I agree it's also used by people holidaying g in the UK rather than abroad. I guess given the size of the USA it's less likely it would be used that way (& other than Canada, you presumably wouldn't take an RV  for foreign holidays!)

I had a staycation 2 years ago - I took a week off work and stayed at home, going out each day. I went to some of the smaller museums and stately homes  near here, one of the 'tourist hot spot' places I haven't been since I went on a school trip (it's interesting but expensive) and treated myself to a couple of nice meals out and so on.