Author Topic: Have you heard of a stay-vacation?  (Read 1866 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Have you heard of a stay-vacation?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 03:15:42 PM »
Squeakers, that sounds like so much fun!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 03:18:26 PM »
I think the RV dealer was trying to make a joke that if you have an RV every vacation is a staycation because you take your home with you, and it fell flat

That's about the only explanation. Bcs yes, a "stay-cation" is when you stay at home and do vacation-like stuff instead of chores.

I have a couple of friends that are doing the homeschool while seeing the US in our RV thing. Basically the husband's job is going to require him to go to distance states and stay there for up to two months, but they are considered based out of Houston.

So my friend and their girls will follow him up to his assignment in the RV. They call it their staycation in X city on their blog.

When Iw as a kid, our social studies textbook about about a family that had to move from Vermont to California or somewhere. And they traveled there in an RV, without much money, and the dad would stop and get jobs in the different states/regions they traveled through. So you'd learn about the land, and the industries, and the people (accents, customs, etc.) of all the different regions of the U.S.

It was written in a narrative, like a story, and I loved it! I always thought that would be a great educational experience. (So did the mom in the book.)

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »
I always do stay-cations, but then, I live in the Washington DC area.  Lots to do around here. 

texgalatheart

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »
My brother, his wife and DD5 live near Dallas and do a stay-cation a couple of times a year. They go to their favorite hotel/resort place and spend the weekend lounging around or in the pool. Mostly it's just a few days away from home without having to go far and spending time together.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 11:08:45 PM »
My understanding of a stay-cation is also staying in one's hometown and doing fun, touristy things. I've never been able to manage it though. There's always errands to run, chores to do, and deep cleaning to tackle.  :-\
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 09:21:34 AM »
My understanding of a stay-cation is also staying in one's hometown and doing fun, touristy things. I've never been able to manage it though. There's always errands to run, chores to do, and deep cleaning to tackle.  :-\
I'm guessing that's why texgalatheart's brother's family goes to a hotel.

I can stay in my house and not get sucked into the chores. But not everybody can.

ilrag

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 08:31:53 PM »
I think the trick to a successful staycation is tell everyone you have plans - or really make them (beach/hike/museum/ect) and keep them. Otherwise it's too easy to do not fun stuff while you're off work.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 09:31:33 PM »
I know people who dug out a little lake on their property.  With gas so high in Michigan right now ($4.29) their RV will just be going to their own little lake.  Local friends will "go camping" at their place instead of going several hours up north.