Author Topic: s/o it's only a couple dollars/is this weird?  (Read 3824 times)

NestHolder

Re: s/o it's only a couple dollars/is this weird?
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2013, 02:00:42 PM »
For me, it depends on whether I'm better off than the other person(s) or not.  If I'm going to something with friends who I know aren't as well off as I am, I prefer to pay a little more (and therefore don't mind not getting change), and I would always give back the right change if someone else paid for me.  Someone who's, say, a student, might need that extra pound or two.  When I'm with someone on a roughly equivalent financial level, it can be more casual because we all know that a couple of pounds here or there doesn't matter. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 04:43:20 PM »
A group of friends and I used to get together before Christmas and have a meal together at my place, since I had the biggest place.  I was also the only one with a decent job at the time but everyone chipped in and I'd buy the groceries.  One year, I participated in a product feedback thing and won a $50 gift card for the grocery store!  I was really pleased because I could tell my friends that dinner was on me.  I didn't tell them that the groceries cost more like $80 and, fortunately, they didn't ask.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

DollyPond

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2013, 05:37:18 PM »
I learned at an early age to spot moochers.  When I was in 7th grade (no allowance and no income so any amount of money I had was quite dear), a classmate asked to borrow 50 cents for lunch (quite odd now that I think about it because her father made quite a bit of money while my parents did not).  I loaned it to her.  Before she paid that back, she asked to borrow another 50 cents for lunch.  I loaned it to her.  When I ran across her again, I asked her when she was going to pay me back the dollar she owed me; she said (I think she was lying), "I do?"  When she asked me if she could borrow 50 cents again, I said, "No," and she never asked me again.

I have a friend who twice had no cash on her when we went out to eat (and she knew in advance we were going out to eat).  Both times, she asked me to cover her, and she'd pay me back.  By the third time we were to go out to eat, she hadn't paid me back so I made sure to have exact change when we went out.  Sure enough, she said, "Oh, I forgot to get cash; I only have my debit card."  I said, "I have exact change so I can put down what I owe."  I noticed, after that, she managed to have cash when we went out.

This is a perfect description of my moocher (was friend, now acquaintance).  If you owe HER money her memory is excellent!  She can tell you when, how much, every detail of the money you borrowed or what she paid for.

On the other hand, when she owes YOU money she is ever so forgetful and often uses her age, hormonal state, etc. etc. as excuses for her bad memory.  She also becomes very annoyed when a group of us go to eat and everyone asks for separate checks because we have wised up to the bill mooching and her contributing less than her share.