Author Topic: Where Did The Scar Come From?  (Read 7594 times)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: Where Did The Scar Come From?
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2013, 03:27:39 PM »
I haven't seen this one yet:  "I'd lose my head if it wasn't sewn on."

LMAO!

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2013, 03:29:30 PM »
My sister had her thyroid removed a few years ago.  The scar was pretty nasty at first, but her surgeon did an excellent job slicing along a natural crease.

When people would ask her what the scar was from, she'd answer nonchalantly,  "Someone slit my throat."  Most people would get so weirded out by her answer that they'd leave her alone.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »
My sister had her thyroid removed a few years ago.  The scar was pretty nasty at first, but her surgeon did an excellent job slicing along a natural crease.

When people would ask her what the scar was from, she'd answer nonchalantly,  "Someone slit my throat."  Most people would get so weirded out by her answer that they'd leave her alone.

Ohhhhh I LOVE THIS!!!!! 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2013, 03:31:29 PM »
It will fade, with time.  You could try vitamin E or BioOil to see if you can hurry the fading along.

Would it be rude to completely ignore the question from a perfect stranger?  Continue on with whatever interaction you were having as if they didn't ask the question.  So if you are checking out in the grocery line and the cashier, during the process, says, 'Where did you get that scar?', you could answer, 'I'll be using my credit card, today, thanks.' or 'I brought my own bags.'

It might also have the secondary effect of giving the person a clue that they'd just asked something extremely personal and horribly rude.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2013, 03:46:44 PM »
Like previous posters, I'm a fan of humor. The fact of the matter is that people are probably going to ask. Unless you start wearing scarves or turtlenecks (not very seasonal), they'll see it.

I do enjoy the idea of pretending you don't know what they are talking about. I might also explain how I got a different scar. "Oh, this?" (pointing to the faint scar on my finger) "I cut myself in the kitchen."

I might also say, very seriously, "There can be only one."

This is what I am wondering.  Isn't it rude for them to ask?  I would NEVER comment on a visible scar on someone's face/neck, especially on someone I don't know.  My friends obviously know about the surgery.  Some have mentioned the scar, others haven't. I actually prefer the ones who don't, but  I don't really mind if other friends mention it because they knew about the surgery and tell me they  notice it is healing up etc.

The problem I have is complete strangers asking.  I just wouldn't do it.

Yes, absolutely, it is rude.

And I don't ask other people either.

A lot of us are facing the reality that you can't really stop people, so we were making suggestions.

But it's incredibly impolite; bad form; boundary trampling; and flat-out offensive.

I think you'd be absolved from saying, a bit coldly, "I can't imagine why you would need to know that."

And Outdoor Girl's suggest that you completely act as though they never asked the question is a viable solution, I think. You are not required to answer every question asked of you anymore than you are required to stay on the phone with a telemarketer.

nuit93

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2013, 03:56:58 PM »
"Live-action performance of Sweeney Todd.  The main character got a bit carried away."

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2013, 04:00:47 PM »
"From my maker."  >:D

I have burn scars on my arms.  They've faded quite a bit in the past few years, and I don't care anymore.  I had minor surgery last year, and I was wearing bandages on part of my forearm.  I was washing my hands in a restroom when I noticed a little girl couldn't take her eyes off of my arm.  She asked, "how did you get THAT?"  I replied, "Alligator wrestling.  They're pretty slippery."  She just stared at me. 

whatsanenigma

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »

Ohhhhh I LOVE THIS!!!!!

I love this too! And the bonus is, it's not a lie.  Somebody really did slit her throat.  It just happened to be a trained surgeon under sterile conditions for a very good reason!

And now I am thinking about my own neck scar in a whole new, weird, way.  My scar is not noticeable any more due to the doctor's skill in using a natural neck crease, but there is one, due to a surgery I had to fuse two neck vertebra after falling down some stairs.

(Slight derail: I have to admit that it is funny to be able to tell people I once fell down some stairs and literally broke my neck.)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2013, 05:33:25 PM »
When younger DD wears a tank type top or something scoop necked, you can see the top of her heart surgery scar.  It amazed me the amount of busy bodies that would get a look on their face and say (to a 2 yr old!) what happened???!!!  I would just mumble surgery and walk away...I didn't want her to get upset by people saying things.  Now (at the age of 6) she will gladly tell you aaaaaaalllllllll about that surgery (she can't remember it, just that she was in the hospital and had lots of balloons) but she just goes on and on about how they cut into her chest..so veryvery TMI but it makes people run away, sorry they ever asked.   >:D

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2013, 07:34:06 PM »
"Tried out for a part in the Game of Thrones?"

No? >:D

Miss Misha

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2013, 07:47:52 PM »
I agree that people asking are horribly rude.  Sparksals, I'm sorry you are being subjected to such rude, unwarranted curiosity. I could understand small children staring and asking questions, but adults?  I would likely reply with eHell approved complete silence or the PP's suggestion of "Why?"  That's along the same lines as no-is-a-complete-sentence.  Sometimes one does has to be terse with questioners to get the dual point across:  Your question is inappropriate and considered rude.

Nevertheless, some of the humorous responses are making me LOL. DoubleTrouble, one could also say, "Auditioned for Catelyn Stark.  Didn't get it."

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »

Hey, this is what I do, too.  Although, my surgeon also did a really good job of getting it in a crease, so I don't often get the question.

gmatoy

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2013, 08:47:12 PM »
Just wanted to say that my scar has faded to the point that no-one mentions it anymore.

Funny story: I was saying, jokingly (to the nurses in my doctor's office) that I thought I should be able to get, if not a diamond choker, at least a silk scarf out having this scar. They rapidly assured me that I wouldn't need that as my scar wouldn't show in a few months. I said, "All this and no scarf! I change my mind!" My DH had to assure them that I joke when nervous and that I was having the surgery.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2013, 09:11:19 PM »
One of my cousins had open heart surgery as a child in the 1960's.  It was a huge scar running down the centre of her chest, around the rib line and halfway up her back. 

We grew up in a beachside town, and as a teenager she was forever at the beach in a bikini.  If anyone ever asked her about the scar, they were told it was a shark bite.

JoW

« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2013, 10:41:45 PM »
......To me, the scar sticks out like a sore thumb.   I never thought a scar would bother me so much - I feel like I'm being vain when others have so many other worse scars or conditions.
To the owner EVERY scar looks like its outlined in neon.  To others it fades quickly.  I only recently started leaving home without make up on mine and its 27 years old.   Most others couldn't see it after 6 months.  (Left temple, eye to hair line, from breaking a car window with my face.)

The plastic surgeon who stitched mine told me to wear sunscreen.  Thats partly because it does keep a scar from getting dark and partly because a big part of his income is from removing skin cancer and other sun damage.