I have (yup, you guessed it
) a dead potted plant in my cubicle. It's been dead for 8+ years, completely dried out with a small bit of dried dirt in the bottom of the planter. I've even added thoroughly dried rose-flower-tops-only to it (from an awards banquet) probably 4 years ago.
It's a personal, private joke of mine. I love that dead plant.Stupid question:
Can a dried arrangement like this all of a sudden turn moldy?
I was slightly aware of an unusual odor this morning. There was a stronger than normal breeze coming through the vents (one of which is directly above my cubicle.) I paid it no nevermind.
Boss sat down in my guest chair today (which is right next to Dead Plant, a chair that she's easily sat in for 15-20+ minutes many times a week during the last 2-1/2 years that she's worked here with never a complaint.) After about 3 minutes into our conversation today she suddenly got up and said "I have to move. I can smell the mold coming off of your plant."
(It is known that Boss has severe mold and other allergies. When she was first hired she had her office thoroughly cleaned and had a special filter installed on the vent to her office which is changed monthly.)
Add a bit of irony . . . Boss acted exactly the same as I did with my aversion to her bananas (#2 in the OP of "Unappealing Smells" http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=126577.0
) She stood outside of the entrance to my cube, looking away, as we finished our conversation.*
After business was taken care of, I thoroughly inspected my dead plant. I stuck my nose right in the middle, and didn't detect any odor. I put my finger in the dirt . . . dry and crumbly. I gently picked up and turned over the roses, put them to my nose . . . nothing. I honestly don't believe my dead plant is moldy.
*As an update to the banana thread . . . Whenever I walk into Boss' office, she'll say "Oh. Wait." and she takes the bananas off of her desk and tucks them into a drawer.
So, my question are: What would you do? Would you get rid of your plant? Even though originating mold aroma is questionable? What would you say to your Boss? Especially since Boss has been accommodating to my aversion of banana smell?
Is there any way I can politely defend my dead plant and keep it?
I honestly do understand allergies. If my beloved dead plant is causing a serious allergic reaction to Boss I will certainly be rid of it. But after 2+ years of Boss sitting next to the dead plant, is the dead plant really the cause of the problem?