News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 11, 2017, 09:50:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A gift with strings attached (clothing as a gift?) update post #22  (Read 14600 times)

cb140

Re: A gift with strings attached (clothing as a gift?) update post #22
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2013, 01:46:07 PM »
I think what I would do is not pre-emptively turn it down, but go shopping with DF and see what happens and then if DF insists on a ugly suit, then turn it down at that point.

I hope we don't have a similar situation with our son (playing the DF role!). We are buying him a suit for school, he has been very excited about this and building up to it for months (even years!) but his idea of budget and ours are wildly different! We think we've come to a compromise on amount, but I've just got a feeling that if he chooses a "high fashion" suit, I am going to think that I don't want to spend that amount of money on a suit that may, fashion wise, only last a couple of years.  And yet if we pick out a very conservative suit, it may not live up to his expectations (and he is putting a lot of his own money towards it as well). Not sure what to do, other than hope that we find something that we all like!

/end thread jack/

TootsNYC

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2013, 01:53:33 PM »
Or have the learning experience of pointing out that a more classic suit will last longer and be a wiser buy. (My son wanted a white suit for his first communion; I  pointed out that it would probably get dirty pretty fast, and he said, "That's true," and completely switched to the green suit, even when I told him that I'd just realized the white suits were on sale and I'd be willing to get him one.)

Or find a more boring suit that he can zing up with a snazzy shirt and tie.

Or (as w/ my kid) recognize that the suit isn't going to fit him that long anyway; he might as well have something fun.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2013, 01:54:01 PM »
Just take a deep breath and remember, it doesn't have to be Armani to look really good.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

RegionMom

• ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2013, 03:39:07 PM »
when my brother needed a suit, he was taken to a men's suit store and they listened to his needs and fixed him up very nicely, with two shirts and a few ties, also.  worked great!
So, if you go to a men's store, and the salesman "does not have loose pleated suits" (call in advance with your story) then maybe you can get what would really work.

DH's college grad suit is now just for Easter, because in the tech world, only newbies interview in suits.  Now he might change his tennis shoes to loafers, but no suits now!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:40:55 PM by RegionMom »
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.