Author Topic: Etiquette of renting out a room  (Read 3459 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Etiquette of renting out a room
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 08:36:19 AM »
I agree with the background checks and asking for ID. OK, admittedly I watch too much judge Judy, but you are letting a stranger into your home. And clearly your current'screening process' isn't cutting it: :-)

On Sunday, I had one guy see the place, and he was really nice, albeit fairly young, and said hed like to take the place.  I told him Id like to have a deposit within the next couple days so I felt OK with telling other prospects that it was taken. He agreed and said hed stop by first thing Monday with the rental agreement and check. I havent heard from him (he had been very quick to respond before), so e-mailed to ask him to respond by today or Id be contacting other potential roommates. It left me in a weird spot where I wasnt sure if the place was open or not in addressing all the responses I got. Did I mess up in saying the place was his, or is it better to say the first person Ive approved who brings me a deposit?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

rashea

• Super Hero!
Re: Etiquette of renting out a room
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 09:49:46 AM »
Think of it like filling a job position. It's not the first person to get through the process, it's the person who gets through with the right stuff.

And that let's you say, "I'm meeting with 4 other people. I'll let you know on x date."

But, that does mean they might move on in the meantime.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont