Author Topic: Tuna Salad dressing suggestions, please.  (Read 1716 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Tuna Salad dressing suggestions, please.
« on: June 05, 2013, 06:28:10 PM »
I make my tuna salad with:

Elbow noodles
Green onion
Tomato
Tuna
Romain lettuce (alternative, usually used only if the tuna salad is a main dish)
Salt/Pepper/Garlic powder

And just straight mayo (Hellman's ;)) for the dressing.

I really like it. I like the simplicity of it because there's not a lot of spices so the tuna is centerstage. But the DDs are on a health-kick (I guess I raised them right, huh?)

The only "bad" thing is the mayo dressing, otherwise it's a good healthy satisfying meal . . . I don't dress the salad and let everybody put on as much or as little mayo as they like. (I like lots-o mayo ::))

So, I'm looking for a healthier alternative dressing for my Tuna Salad.

Any suggestions? Something simple that doesn't overpower the tuna flavor?

(Please don't suggest a Lite mayo. I've tried them and really don't like them. Yes. I'm a mayo snob. :P)

Opening this thread up to any recipes for Tuna Salad . . . how do you make yours?

camlan

• Super Hero!
Re: Tuna Salad dressing suggestions, please.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 07:13:14 PM »
At one shower I attended, they had the best tasting tuna sandwiches I've ever had. When I asked, I was told that instead of mayo, they used ranch dressing. Maybe you could try a low-fat version of ranch?
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »
My DH has made me yummy tuna salad using low fat yogurt instead of mayo.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

NyaChan

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »
I love a dressing made of yoghurt, a little mayo, lots of lemon zest, a little italian dressing, and a little sugar. 

ETA:  I forgot the celery!  I need my crunch :) 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:42:21 PM by NyaChan »

magician5

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 09:26:34 PM »
Lite mayo - amid all those ingredients, it won't be a detriment.

And chopped apple - goes wonderfully in tuna salad in any proportion.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Airelenaren

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 09:32:52 PM »
I'm not sure how well it would mix with the ingredients you use, but I use a sauce based on cream cheese when I make salad sometimes. Just take a portion of cream cheese, a bit of vinegar, stir until the cream cheese has completely dissolved, add milk until both the taste and the thickness are to your liking. You can also take joghurt instead of cream cheese if you stir the tuna directly into the sauce.

POF

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 09:43:36 PM »
I like tuna mixed with cottage cheese.  Sometimes - I'll blend it until smooth .

I also make a curry tuna with a dressing of OJ, mayo, curry powder and chutney.  I don't really measure - just eyeball it.  I find it really enhances the tuna.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 10:20:04 PM »
I've had tuna salad that was dressed with a little lemon juice.  I think it also had tomatoes, onions, and olives.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 07:06:59 AM »
I seem to recall having something similar that had a light Italian dressing and squirt of lemon. It was really good like that.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 08:47:24 AM »
Greek yogurt.  Olive oil and lemon.

And measure the amount of mayo used.  If it's a smal amount, who cares about the little bit of fat?

Amara

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 11:26:20 AM »
Yes, yogurt is good but if you would prefer to stick with full-fat mayo how about halving it, then adding soft tofu in the amount you cut out and mixing well. It will continue to taste like it is all mayo.

NyaChan

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 11:28:58 AM »
I actually like the flavor of the yogurt so it isn't so much a calorie saving or fat saving mechanism for me (thought it is a nice benefit).  I like that slightly sour flavor and then adding the spoon or two of mayo makes it just creamy enough for me.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 11:35:47 AM »
I make my tuna salad very much like yours - but I like a light vinaigrette on mine.  Newman's Own makes two of my favorites:  Lime Vinaigrette and Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette.  I use the low-fat version of both.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »
Get the tuna in Olive Oil.  The tuna is MUCH more flavorful and you could probably use less mayo. 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 08:49:10 PM »
Lite mayo - amid all those ingredients, it won't be a detriment.

And chopped apple - goes wonderfully in tuna salad in any proportion.

LOL! I can taste the difference between Lite mayo and regular full blend mayo.

But I love the thought of adding chopped apple. Thanks!

I make my tuna salad very much like yours - but I like a light vinaigrette on mine.  Newman's Own makes two of my favorites:  Lime Vinaigrette and Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette.  I use the low-fat version of both.

I like Newman's dressings. I'll look for the Lime vinaigrette. Thanks!

I've tried an Italian dressing on my tuna salad, but it just seems a bit off . . . maybe a bit too Italian spicey for me, but adding lemon to it might cut down the spice.

I have never been a yogurt eater. Don't know why. It's not like I have any aversion to yogurt, it's just that I've never used it for cooking before.

Since many posters have mentioned yogurt, I'll have to try it in lieu of mayo. Plain yogurt? Greek Yogurt? Which is best? Do you use it as a straight substitute for mayo?