Author Topic: S/O of I know you're clean... but you still smell - smelling strong at the gym  (Read 4062 times)

Library Dragon

I think if I were the trainer, I'd just bring it up.

The underlying message shoudl NOT be "you're inconveniencing other people; fix it."

It should be "this scent problem might indicate something serious--perhaps you should check it out so you will be safe."

"I've noticed that your underarm body odor is quite a bit stronger than other people's. Sometimes that's an indicator of medical conditions, like reduced kidney function. Have you ever investigated that?" and then, especially if the answer is no, "I think perhaps you should talk to your doctor about it. I'd feel so much better if you did--just in case it is an indicator of something serious."

I say this bcs I've had medical issues that I kept brushing aside until someone who cared about me said, "You should take that to a doctor, just in case."

I agree but I would add that it would be even better if the attitude of "I've seen this before, I've seen everything before and you're not actually bothering me, other people have had this problem that I have seen and there was a reason and they could fix it."   That way, it would help her not feel as isolated or "different". 

Something as simple as a modification of your original statement, like this: "quite a bit stronger than most other people's" could go a long way.  Just some way to make it seem like less of a personal judgement and more like a helpful comment, that is what I would want.

I think this appropriate. 

I have a family member who has suffered from something similar.  She also has problems with her sense of smell. She s also allergic to most deodorants and antiperspirants. It was effecting her professionally. She wasn't being included in meetings with clients.  Finally her boss mentioned it. She went to the doctor and found out that she had thyroid problems.  She was able to address the larger medical problem.  For the short term she had her dermatologist use Botox to control the sweating.  By the time the Botox wore off she had been stabilized on her thyroid medications that she didn't need to have more injections.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Roe

• Super Hero!
I feel sorry for the poor woman.  Just leave her alone.

Some people can't even use deoderant due to nasty reactions (cracked skin with weeping sores, anyone?).  She's working out, of course there will be a sweat smell.

Pod.  It's a freakin gym! You don't want to smell sweat or yucky smells, avoid the gym. 

Rohanna

I think that's where the disconnect comes from- I work in healthcare, and trust me sometimes body odor is a *lot* worse than just sweat. While you expect sweat and smells in a gym, other people also should have a certain expectation that every attempt is being made to mitigate truly awful smells. It really can be *that* bad sometimes- while I am very, very used to all kinds of odors, I have had patients that have personal odor issues that make even me struggle not to gag or become ill. I can imagine in a gym this might become truly intolerable, and I don't think it's unreasonable that people might object to sharing space with smells that can sometimes be truly stomach turning.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.