Author Topic: I know you're clean... but you still smell  (Read 7216 times)

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
Re: I know you're clean... but you still smell
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2013, 04:01:37 AM »
Could be often worn clothing that smells. I had 2 bras I wore everyday and over time they absorbed sweat and deodorant so much it would not come out clean no matter how many times or how they were washed. Took me a while to figure that one out and they got tossed. It can happen with anything you wear a lot. Also, it could be the washing machine. Sometimes they can get mildewy or gunk can build up in the hoses and transfer the smell to clothing. Front loading washing machines are known for that off stink if not aired properly. It could even be shoes that have absorbed smells and are giving out a peculiar odour. My school shoes in high school stank to high heaven. I sprayed them with glen 20 antibacterial and they reeked of that old person scent forever after, at least until I tossed them (triple bagged and I could still smell it ugh) Febreeze or odour eaters did zilch.

It's surprising what can stink.

scotcat60

Re: I know you're clean... but you still smell
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2013, 04:03:41 AM »
In the Johnny Depp version of "Charlei and the Chocolate Factory" Grandma Georgina tells Willy Wonka he smells of peanuts, and he tells her she smells of soap and old people.

Roe

• Super Hero!
Re: I know you're clean... but you still smell (#25, #38)
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2013, 10:04:48 AM »
Since so many people were unsure about what I meant with old people smell, I started to think that maybe it's something else. So it hit me that my grandfather and her both have diabetes. I have just now looked it up and apparently it's possible that it changes the way you smell.

I'm now inclined to believe it has something to do with this (and for me this smell will always be coupled with my grandfather) and because of this I have decided I will do nothing. If and/or when people comment I will simply tell them that I know she's very clean.

"What perfume do you use? It's very distinctive." might be an opening.

Some perfumes smell dreadful on people. I once shared a car with my SIL's sister, and her perfume smelled like burning rubber to me, but obviously not to her.
Coincidentally, I had the same thing! I was with my best friend and was smelling wet dog all the time. Luckily I didn't say anything, because it turned out to be her new perfume!

Glad you decided not to say anything.  I can't imagine how you would say something without being rude or at the least, nosy.

Also, why is it "luckily" you when didn't say anything to your best friend?  This is something 'best friends' do say to one another, esp if it's something as simple as perfume.  I don't understand why you were willing to speak to a person you didn't know well but "luckily" you didn't mention anything to your best friend.  ?