Author Topic: Rude gift(?) - unexpected live lobster delivery (follow up post 12)  (Read 6718 times)

cwm

Re: Rude gift(?) - unexpected live lobster delivery (follow up post 12)
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2013, 03:59:08 PM »
I agree with Pen^2. Lobsters aside, you should know your recipient for anything that requires effort on their part.

Two instances come to mind for me:
In college, I complained about the lack of good hummus available, so my friend decided to ship me some from home. He did the whole box with dry-ice thing, but didn't take into account that boxes weren't just delivered to my doorstep, and just because it is delivered doesn’t mean it was to me, since the mail center could also sign for it at my college. He also decided it should be a surprise, so didn't tell me until after he had assumed I’d picked it up (based on the shipment delivery confirmation). Because of the college’s schedule and my own, I couldn't get my box from the mail center until almost 24 hours after it was delivered—far beyond when the hummus would have been safe to eat (judging by the room-temperature interior, since the dry ice was gone).

Another time, a friend shipped some wine to me. Now, I’m not one to turn down good wine, but had he mentioned that he was shipping it to me before the fact, I could have instructed him to ship it to my work. Instead, I was incredibly lucky to run into the mail carrier when I went home on lunch so that I could sign for the wine (because you need a signature for alcohol, I guess). That was after having to spend over 15 min on the phone trying to find out whether I could change the shipping address (no) after getting a failed delivery tag on my door. Had I not happened to run into the delivery person, it would have been returned to sender. There's no way I was going to take time off work to sit home waiting for a couple of bottles of surprise wine.

Had either of these shipments been something *live*, I would have been very upset with the lack of foresight on my friends’ part.

Okay, this is kind of off topic to start out with, but I read that as a friend sent SWINE to you. Completely changes everything you wrote.

On topic now.

I've lived in apartments for a while now, and there's a good reason I have any purchases sent to my mother's house to pick up there. Different apartment complexes have different rules about packages and where to go to get them and who can sign for them and the like. I actually ruined a perfectly good surprise from a friend when I was in college because the office signed for a package, put a note on my door, and it came off in the wind. It wasn't until a few weeks later that they called me about the package I had waiting. (It wasn't food, fwiw, but it was a piece of electronic equipment that I had gone out and bought on my own and wasn't returnable.) If it had been food, it could have been very bad and disgusting for anyone else who had to get a package out of that small room.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Rude gift(?) - unexpected live lobster delivery
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2013, 05:48:41 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of Dave Berry?

Jillian Keenan, the writer of this article, fits the style of Dave Berry's writing to the "T".

She also refers to her husband as David in the article. She could be married to him  :)

According to wikipedia, Dave Barry's current wife's name is Michelle  ;)

THANK YOU! Harriet Jones, for correcting me.

I was talking about Dave Barry . . . not Dave Berry.

My apologies to anyone who might have been confused due to my misspelling.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2013, 06:27:58 PM »
A know your audience type situation for sure.

But if you get some that you don't want, you can ship it to me!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2013, 08:00:10 PM »
DH, DS and I are foodies and love to cook, so live lobster is welcome any time!

Miss Tickle

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2013, 10:34:14 PM »
Do you ever read a title and think, are they talking about me?

Once upon a time our friend moved back to Nova Scotia, and that first year he promised to send us lobsters. I told him if he could send us lobsters for our Xmas eve dinner, that would be awesome.

December 16th or so I get a long-distance call,

Him: Hey, the lobsters are on the way!

Me: Yay! Lobster! When will they get here?

Him: Tomorrow!

Me: Yay! So, how to we keep them alive until Xmas eve?

Him:...

Me:...

Him:...

Me: Hello?

Him: I'll send more.

The next day we get the notice from the courier and pick up at least a dozen (maybe sixteen?) lobsters, and had an amazing "it's not Xmas yet, but we got lobster! party".

Dec. 24th we got another box of lobster (and a stern lecture about shipping live animals) from the courier.

I thought afterwards that I was rude in asking about the lobsters, thinking I'd put him on the spot, but he told me it was no problem with sending them on time, he just totally forgot, and when I asked about it, he realized his mistake. The extra were the least he could do.

Amara

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2013, 12:21:12 AM »
The newest issue of Cook's Illustrated showed up today and lo and behold one of the articles was titled "The Best New England Lobster Roll."

A sidebar noted what happens when you plunge them into boiling water then says "if I could figure out how to sedate the lobster before cooking--and minimize the time it spent moving in the pot--these could only be positive developments." One of those methods includes slicing through the lobster's head with a sharp knife but this resulted in the same distressing movements as doing nothing but plunging. The hypnosis method--standing it on its head and rubbing its shell did have an effect but one that only lasted until it was put into boiling water. It was only the third method, below, that worked.

Chilling lobsters in the freezer for 30 minutes produces a comalike state that makes it easier and safer to maneuver them into the pot. It rendered them motionless and once in the pot there were only a "few flutters." Which is a considerable change from the other methods.

Now returning you to your regular topic.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:25:27 AM by Amara »

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2013, 01:06:37 AM »
Chilled lobsters are very lethargic, so I buy the comalike state theory. Don't ask how I know this.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Pen^2

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2013, 02:44:24 AM »
Chilled lobsters are very lethargic, so I buy the comalike state theory. Don't ask how I know this.

They actually slowly lose consciousness and die if you keep them in the freezer. They basically go to sleep and don't wake up. It works for most cold-blooded things, actually. That's how I've always done it: freezer for an hour or so. Then I'll thaw them in the fridge before cooking.

Even though they don't have a very complex CNS, I always like to kill things as quickly and painlessly as possible, and via sleep if ever feasible. No sense in distressing the poor animal. And I'm kind of clumsy with spiny animals, so things like lobsters might take me a few tries, and I don't want to end up stabbing wildly at a dimly-uncomfortable paraplegic lobster like Norman Bates.

As a result of once living with someone who's cat was some kind of serial-killer of small creatures, I've had to kill a lot of critters who were disemboweled or otherwise mortally wounded and then left to die agonisingly slowly on the front steps. So I know how to kill most common things very quickly :( lobsters and crabs are kind of fiddly though, so I just freeze them.

Janice

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2013, 11:09:12 AM »
My friend's mom once received (unannounced) a whole wheel of Stilton cheese, which reeks at the best of times. It was sent by a relative via regular mail from Southwest England to the Pacific Northwest.  This was 30 years ago, when mailing something large and bulky internationally could take several weeks. Did I mention that it arrived in August?

Her mom arrived home one day to find a *dripping* package of Stilton lurking on her doorstep. She brought it inside instead of throwing it out right then, for reasons known only to her, and it took about 6 weeks to clear the smell from the house afterwards.

Rude? Not sure. Clueless? Definitely.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2013, 12:53:47 PM »
Dec. 24th we got another box of lobster (and a stern lecture about shipping live animals) from the courier.

Lot of good giving you the lecture did.  You were just the recipient!  It wasn't your fault live animals were shipped.

And this:

stabbing wildly at a dimly-uncomfortable paraplegic lobster like Norman Bates.

had me, literally, laughing out loud! :D

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2013, 02:20:09 PM »
I don't think you should send anyone a live gift unless they have requested it and are waiting at home for it.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

sweetonsno

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2013, 03:44:25 PM »
I agree with posters who say that it's mostly a know your audience thing. I would not be amused if someone sent me live lobsters. I wouldn't want to kill an animal or give it to someone who would unless it was absolutely necessary. I suppose I could go drop it in Puget Sound or take a trip to the Olympic Peninsula, but I don't think I'm qualified to pick a good spot to release it (or accurately determine whether or not doing so would be eco-friendly).

Also, an aside: while many chefs do claim that crustaceans can't feel pain, biologists generally agree that it's likely that they can. Apparently, the best choice is to chill and then split: http://www.mpi.govt.nz/news-resources/news/chill-it-then-split-or-spike-it-the-humane-way

(I do recommend the article for those of you who like to cook your own lobster, as the author discusses the advantages and disadvantages of each method, including how some of them affect your final product.)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2013, 04:08:42 PM »
I happily pay the nice folks in the kitchens of Red Lobster or any local seafood eatery to do that job.  the person who would send me lobster is invited to send me wine instead.

jolyan

Re: Rude gift(?) - unexpected live lobster delivery
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2013, 01:46:17 AM »
Has anyone ever heard of Dave Berry?

Jillian Keenan, the writer of this article, fits the style of Dave Berry's writing to the "T".

It's a humorists style of writing. Very funny to read. While it's based on fact (we received a shipment of lobster), the writer embellishes the true events in order to make the reader laugh.out.loud.

Erma Bombeck was another humorist writer. She could take a simple chore, like cleaning a toilet, to unbelievable LOL

Lewis Grizzard too.  Chili Dawgs Always Bark at Night is an excellent read.

Library Dragon

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2013, 02:46:04 AM »
In the late 80s when we lived in Italy my mother sent a box of Christmas gifts from California. It arrived on the 23rd. I put the box by the tree without opening it due to a hectic schedule.

Christmas morning we are opening presents. I open the box from my mother and reach into the newspapers she used for packing and SCREAM

My mother had sent avacados.  You ripen an avacado by placing int in a dry, dark spot. After weeks in transit I had put my hand into a nasty, green/black, goo.  Poor DS1 (4 at the time) was afraid to open any of the presents sent to him.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter