Author Topic: Rude gift(?) - unexpected live lobster delivery (follow up post 12)  (Read 6620 times)

snappylt

Can it be really rude to give someone an expensive surprise?

I just read an odd feature story in the Washington Post about a couple who were given the unexpected surprise gift of a delivery of live lobsters.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/lobster-delivery-prompts-a-pandoras-box-of-issues/2013/06/03/392a46b2-c48c-11e2-914f-a7aba60512a7_story.html?tid=pm_lifestyle_pop

I'm guessing that that must have really happened (or else the editors wouldn't have printed the piece)... but I found it hard to believe someone would ever give someone else a gift like that without some kind of notice ahead of time.

I'm thinking that it was really rude to give a surprise live gift that must be killed and eaten within hours of its unexpected arrival.  But am I wrong?  Could a surprise like that ever be polite?

ETA: Follow-up post, #12.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:50:59 PM by snappylt »

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
Re: Rude gift(?) - unexpected live lobster delivery
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 08:44:06 PM »
An  unexpected delivery of anything alive would freak.me.out and I would have to really question where the person who mailed its head was!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Depends on the person giving them to me, really. If someone presented me with live lobsters I'd probably say thanks and start wondering what to do with them. DH would probably have to kill them, though.

I don't think it's rude, though. Unless I had previously express distaste in lobsters (which I haven't) or said I'm allergic to them (which I am not).

kitchcat

• Flickr
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »
I don't think it's rude per say, but it just doesn't seem like the best idea.

The writer obviously had a huge issue with having to kill the lobsters, so it seems the gift caused her anguish...which is never good.
Quote from: magician5
Quote from: Kinseyanne
In the bag was two cans of kitten formula

So now ... just add water and you get kittens? What will they think of next??

Library Dragon

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 08:56:05 PM »
My friends should be this rude to me!  ;D

I've not sent lobsters, but other edible items I needed to provide a clear window when it could be delivered because it would not be left outside or in a hallway.  Of course these lobsters were dead and would probably have stayed frozen a day or two if left unopened.  We've had food deliveries that come in a styrofoam box (great for when you go grocery shopping in the summer) and dry ice. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 09:03:46 PM »
If you know someone likes (and knows how to cook) lobster, it seems like a perfectly fine gift.  However, I can see how this could go very wrong.  *I* certainly wouldn't have any way of cooking them.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 09:08:19 PM »
I don't know how to cook lobster, but I'd be willing to have a go at it.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 09:10:46 PM »

I just read an odd feature story in the Washington Post about a couple who were given the unexpected surprise gift of a delivery of live lobsters.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/lobster-delivery-prompts-a-pandoras-box-of-issues/2013/06/03/392a46b2-c48c-11e2-914f-a7aba60512a7_story.html?tid=pm_lifestyle_pop

I'm guessing that that must have really happened (or else the editors wouldn't have printed the piece)... but I found it hard to believe someone would ever give someone else a gift like that without some kind of notice ahead of time.

I'm thinking that it was really rude to give a surprise live gift that must be killed and eaten within hours of its unexpected arrival.  But am I wrong?  Could a surprise like that ever be polite?

While it is an interesting query, they were not actually given a gift of live lobsters. They only worried they had been given such a gift.

They were given a bulky and perishable gift however, and that itself can be an issue, but certainly much less of an ethical dilemma. To me, to be honest, the bigger problem with the gift was giving shellfish to a Jew.

m2kbug

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 09:11:04 PM »
My friends should be this rude to me!  ;D

I've not sent lobsters, but other edible items I needed to provide a clear window when it could be delivered because it would not be left outside or in a hallway.  Of course these lobsters were dead and would probably have stayed frozen a day or two if left unopened.  We've had food deliveries that come in a styrofoam box (great for when you go grocery shopping in the summer) and dry ice.

I have managed quite well with a thick comforter and putting the perishables close to the frozens.  Ice cream might not survive quite as well, but I've left food in the car for more than an hour and it stays COLD.  Thought I'd share in case someone doesn't have a the box.

I am rolling in laughter.  Thanks for sharing.  Rude?  Er, nah, but definitely not much thought was put into the ability of the recipients to deal with it.  Even if they were already dead and frozen, I really don't know if I could maneuver around the little guy - I only eat the food "they make" at the grocery store, wrapped and ready to go. ::)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
I want "rude" friends that send me lobster!

I don't know how to cook them, but I'd learn really quickly if someone wants to send one!

Mmmmm...I haven't had lobster with drawn butter since the last time I was in DC.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 09:32:30 PM »
I am kind of doubtful the story was 100% genuine.  It reminded me quite a bit of the scene in Annie Hall.

MrTango

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 09:45:24 PM »
I don't know how to cook lobster, but I'd be willing to have a go at it.

On his show Good Eats, Alton Brown dedicates an episode to preparing lobster.  He also discusses a couple options for how to quickly and neatly dispatch them.

snappylt

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 09:47:59 PM »

While it is an interesting query, they were not actually given a gift of live lobsters. They only worried they had been given such a gift.

They were given a bulky and perishable gift however, and that itself can be an issue, but certainly much less of an ethical dilemma. To me, to be honest, the bigger problem with the gift was giving shellfish to a Jew.

WillyNilly,

OP here, hanging my head in embarrassment.  (If I were a male version of Gilda Radner's Roseanne Roseannadanna, I suspect I'd say, "Never mind.")

Yes, I can read.

But sometimes I read too fast, and when I start skimming, I start missing important facts.

You're right.  When I went back and read more carefully I realized that near the end of the article, the lobsters turned out to be frozen, not live. (So what were those noises the author wrote about hearing earlier in the article?)

Anyway, that fact changes the picture for me.  A gift of frozen lobster (that doesn't have to be cooked at once) seems a lot nicer to me than the thought of an unexpected surprise of live lobsters.

And, actually, the more I think about it, I think unexpected live lobsters would be more "not-well-thought-out" than actually "rude".

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 10:10:18 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of Dave Berry?

Jillian Keenan, the writer of this article, fits the style of Dave Berry's writing to the "T".

It's a humorists style of writing. Very funny to read. While it's based on fact (we received a shipment of lobster), the writer embellishes the true events in order to make the reader laugh.out.loud.

Erma Bombeck was another humorist writer. She could take a simple chore, like cleaning a toilet, to unbelievable LOL heights.

I enjoyed this article simply because it made me laugh. The humor was well written and exaggerated to the point where I could imagine myself in that same situation. ;D

Oh, as to the rudeness of somebody sending me live lobster since (at the end of the article) “They were dead all along.”

I say no rudeness there.

;D ;D ;D

(2 posts while I was typing . . . posting anyway.)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:15:03 PM by jpcher »

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Rude gift(?) - unexpected live lobster delivery (follow up post 12)
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 10:14:44 PM »
www.lobstergram.com - I've both sent and received live lobsters.  And yes, in both cases they were appreciated.  It's a "know your audience" thing, though - my parents sent us some on our first anniversary, knowing that we love to cook and that (at the time) we didn't have the budget for something like that normally.  And I sent them some on their 25th anniversary, but in that case my sister was visiting them and was able to arrange things so they didn't have other dinner plans (and so she could leave and go see a movie so they could have a romantic evening cooking).

No problem with this here, obviously  :)