Author Topic: Clothing argh!!!  (Read 8102 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Clothing argh!!!
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2013, 08:38:49 PM »
JeseC -- I admire your spunk. This is coming from an old fuddy-duddy that used to try to go out on a limb with fashion (back in my teens/early 20's) but couldn't pull it off because I was raised with "elegance ::)" and never felt comfortable when I chose to wear something that wasn't in my mother's approval scope of fashion, even though I really tried!

You seem to be very comfortable with your style (wearing black since you were 10) and that's a very good thing. You should wear the clothes that speaks your personality instead of trying to fit your personality into an outfit that society deems proper.

Other posters mentioned that wearing the same dress for two occasions (cruise and wedding) and accessorizing in different ways is okay . . . I strongly disagree. I see absolutely no need to do this.

That being said, I think that you're set with your outfits. ;D

- An evening cruise on the lake

This seems, to me, to be more of a party nightclub atmosphere. I think that you can go wild here (but it might be safe to check with your hosts . . . or even look online at the cruise website in order to get an idea of what is the norm.)

I really like this skirt  http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hthif5mxHD0/TTSq6jdP4JI/AAAAAAAADsk/hdVRquEU0kQ/s1600/real.jpg matched with the corset you posted. However I do think it should be toned down a bit with maybe a bolero jacket like this:

http://www.flowergirldressforless.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SK_C17_SALE&Store_Code=Flower-Girl&gclid=CPqM6sbR0LcCFUtgMgodOxkAgg#ad-image-0

or a shrug like this:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/style-co-cardigan-cap-sleeve-crochet-scalloped?ID=829385&CategoryID=17043&LinkType=PDPZ1

or

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/style-co-sweater-cap-sleeve-ruffled-open-front-cardigan?ID=829386&CategoryID=260&LinkType=PDPZ1

Once the party gets started, you can always lose the shrug. ;D

Your mini top hat would work well with this outfit/event.

- An evening wedding

http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5425616/il_fullxfull.361313541.jpg -- I think a dress of this style is perfect for an evening wedding. Fishnet gloves (I hope you can find them ;)) black heels, sheer black hose, and I'm leaning towards the large black flower in your hair instead of the top hat. It really depends on your hair style for the evening. I can see the top hat maybe working, but it might be a bit too campy for the wedding.

Accessories? Keep it simple. Your personal style can be very elegant. Over accessorizing? Pushes it to the "look at me!" over-done limit. I don't see the cat-print scarf working with this outfit at all. At this point, your gloves are the accent to your outfit. A classy bracelet (you said that you were an "excellent jewelry-maker") something shiny around your wrists would fit the bill. Add a silky black ribbon (choker style) around your neck . . . and you're done.

The wedding is the most formal of all the occasions. This is where you want to be at your style elegance best. Does that make sense?

- A morning breakfast in honor of  the couple

I think you're perfectly fine with your dressy skinny jeans and black mary janes . . . you will want comfortable shoes for the after breakfast walking tour. As for the top? I think the dressiest casual top you have in your closet will work.

This is where your cat-print scarf might be able to come into play.;D

Even though you're not thrilled with your blazer, if the weather is chilly, the blazer could work well with your outfit.

- A tour around the city, immediately following the breakfast

The breakfast and walking tour follow hand-in-hand, you won't be able to go back to your room in order to change outfits. So I think that dressy/casual/comfortable is the way to go

All in all, I think that you can and should wear your style with pride.

Plus, it sound like you have most of everything in your closet. ;D

peaches

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2013, 11:58:13 PM »
Oh yeah, one other thing - is there an appropriate way to use hats or other headwear?  I'd really love to do something but I'm afraid I don't have hair that can really be done up.

Can you give us an example of the type of hat?

As for your accessories, if you want to wear gloves, I think I'd wear them on the cruise. If you want to wear a hat, I think the wedding would be the perfect place, depending on the type of hat. With the LBD you pictured, I'm thinking a small, fascinator-type hat would be good.

I have a couple of options.  I've got a little mini top hat that would match, or just a large black flower.  There's also just plain headbands, of course, but I don't have anything really fancy there.

I wouldn't wear a hat to an evening wedding. A hat would be more appropriate at a daytime wedding.

However, some ornament in your hair would be pretty.

JeseC

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2013, 10:49:55 PM »
Ok, so some updates:

Scarf tried with LBD, looked horrible.  Changed it around to have a little red tophat-style fascinator (http://www.claires.com/store/us/goods/hair/cat1260200/barrettes+%26+clips/p24078/feather+fascinator+hair+accessory/ in red with black trim).  Matching swiss dot hose and I'm putting together a black-and-red jewelry set out of the glass crystal beads.  So that's pretty well under control for the actual wedding.

Since the scarf does, helpfully, look extremely nice under a blazer, I'll pack it in for breakfast with said item (I don't object to blazers, I just don't like the open-blazer look on me).

The cruise appears much more casual than I was expecting, based on pictures from the company site.  So I'm thinking I can probably throw the corset top over a long skirt and call it a night, though I'll still pack the scarf in case of chilliness.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2013, 10:28:49 AM »
Regarding heels: stilettos can be very difficult to walk in if you are not used to them, but for a 'dressy' occasion, heels are usually expected and IMO do look more 'dressy' than flats.

Elegant, dressy flats are perfectly acceptable, however. There is nothing formal, dressy or appropriate about shoes that are uncomfortable or you can't walk in.

This is especially true if the event is to be held outdoors.  There's nothing elegant about having your toes turn up when the heels of your shoes sink into the lawn. 

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2013, 11:07:37 AM »
If you did decide to go with gloves, remember they are fine whilst circulating with a drink, but should be removed whilst eating. If you're wearing very long gloves you can just undo the buttons, pull your hands out of the "hand" part and tuck that into the "sleeve" part if they are too much hassle to put on/take off.

Don't rule gloves out completely- they can make a relatively informal outfit into something much more formal. They are very dressy though. I've only ever worn them to weddings or nights out a very glitzy/full on glam places.
NE England

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2013, 02:11:01 PM »
Ok, so some updates:

Scarf tried with LBD, looked horrible.  Changed it around to have a little red tophat-style fascinator (http://www.claires.com/store/us/goods/hair/cat1260200/barrettes+%26+clips/p24078/feather+fascinator+hair+accessory/ in red with black trim).  Matching swiss dot hose and I'm putting together a black-and-red jewelry set out of the glass crystal beads.  So that's pretty well under control for the actual wedding.

Since the scarf does, helpfully, look extremely nice under a blazer, I'll pack it in for breakfast with said item (I don't object to blazers, I just don't like the open-blazer look on me).

The cruise appears much more casual than I was expecting, based on pictures from the company site.  So I'm thinking I can probably throw the corset top over a long skirt and call it a night, though I'll still pack the scarf in case of chilliness.

This all sounds lovely! ;D

And I do like that hat with the LBD, especially with matching hose. It's much dressier than what I was picturing.