General Etiquette > Family and Children

Inviting half of a social "unit," when their "other half" is rude/disrespectful

<< < (2/17) > >>

nuit93:

--- Quote from: Cat-Fu on June 06, 2013, 01:07:13 PM ---I think this is a situation where you simply stay out of it.

I'm confused, though, why is event in quotes?

--- End quote ---

I was wondering that too...

Shoo:
Your sister needs to be the bigger person and invite her son and his partner.  I have to say, though, that I'd be absolutely heartbroken to know that a child I raised turned out so mean and selfish that he'd threaten to keep my grandchild away from me unless I bent to his will.  That would tear me up.

MineralDiva:

--- Quote from: Cat-Fu on June 06, 2013, 01:07:13 PM ---I think this is a situation where you simply stay out of it.

I'm confused, though, why is event in quotes?

--- End quote ---

Event is in quotes, because the situation does not apply only to weddings. 

peaches:
From an etiquette standpoint, you invite both halves of a couple to a wedding, or neither.

Inviting one-half of a couple, besides being inconsiderate, tends to backfire (as your sister is finding out).

I do agree with Cat-Fu that this isn't your problem to worry about (thankfully!).

MrTango:
Depending on what specifically your nephew's SO has done to your sister (it'd have to be pretty severe), I think she is within her rights to invite her son only and not his SO.

Your sister, however, has to live with the consequences of making that decision (including losing contact with her son and her grandchild, if that is the consequence her son and SO choose).

Pesonally, I'd stay as far away from this drama as physically possible.  If my sister were acting this way, I'd stay so far away that I'd probably decline the invite altogether.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version