Author Topic: That sound you hear is my heart breaking  (Read 2294 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Silversurfer

Re: That sound you hear is my heart breaking
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 06:46:21 PM »
Oh no!! Why would they do that???   :'(  :'(

chibichan

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:30:47 PM »
Right , just what I needed ... a good cry before I went off to work today  :'( .

You shouldn't post stuff like this to be seen by someone who gave names to her rice cookers....
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

HockeyNut

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 02:23:28 PM »
So sad.   On the 16th Mall in downtown Denver they have creatively painted
donated pianos up & down the Mall for people to play.  It's such a treat to take
a stroll on the Mall & hear the beautiful music some people can make.
I'm sure some are vandalized but for the most part no one abuses them.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 02:50:09 PM »
I'm sorry, guys.   :'  (  I probably shouldn't have posted this.  It's too sad.  I was going to show it to my husband, but maybe not, on second thought.

Mods if you want to remove this, please do so
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

cwm

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 03:07:09 PM »
I think it's not only heartbreaking, but very touching, in a way. It reminds me of the giant horribly-tuned broken soundboard keys sticking hammers missing piano that I grew up with and all the lovely hours I spent practicing on that beast. It also reminds me of the "piano smash" the music program did nearly every year at my college. There was always one piano that wasn't for some reason worth keeping, and you could pay money towards a certain number of hammer hits or time to do whatever you wanted to it.

It may be worth noting that we don't know what was going on with the people who destroyed it. They may have been doing it for wood to burn, saving the strings and selling them elsewhere, taking the soundboard as an art piece, and taking the mechanical bits to use on their own. They may have had very good reason to do what they did. We don't know.

Was it sad that a piano was destroyed? Well, the loss of art/beauty/etc., but it wouldn't have survived long on the street without a great deal of maintenance and upkeep, and I'm sure there was a reason to put it on the street rather than dispose of it in some other way. So yes, it was sad, but there may be more to it than that.

Personally I find it heartening that so many people interacted with the piano before it got destroyed. It shows that there is room in this world for beauty, even in unexpected places.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 04:20:57 PM »
I must have totally missed the point.  I thought they destroyed the piano because it was easier to dismantle it and haul it away in pieces than to move it, and it had been "abandoned" on the sidewalk and couldn't stay there. 

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 04:41:24 PM »
I must have totally missed the point.  I thought they destroyed the piano because it was easier to dismantle it and haul it away in pieces than to move it, and it had been "abandoned" on the sidewalk and couldn't stay there.

I imagine that was the case (and/or they wanted firewood). Its not the the regular garbage men will just take a piano and its even possible the home owners or landlord was getting ticketed for the piano being there.

The sad bit was the couple that came back with dollys to bring the piano home but came too late.

On a side note, for the third year in a row, NYC streets have been graced with public pianos:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/07/arts/music/the-sing-for-hope-pianos-project.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 05:39:04 PM »
I'm sorry, guys.   :'  (  I probably shouldn't have posted this.  It's too sad.  I was going to show it to my husband, but maybe not, on second thought.

No, please don't remove this thread!

While the end is very sad, indeed, especially with the couple that wanted to give Abandoned Piano a happy home, I really enjoyed watching the curiosity factor of all the people playing the piano during the day that was left curbside.

At the end of it's long life, that piano brought joy to many people. I loved watching the people inspecting the inner workings . . . they probably never saw a piano opened up before! And the smiles of people that actually played it? Priceless. (I could tell the one guy was playing chopsticks. I bet he had a good long lost memory going on in his head. ;D)

Yes, the ending is very sad. But the rest of the video is beautiful.

Thank you for posting this, Bijou, because it truly is very near and dear to my heart. Yes, I cried, too.

Several years ago, I destroyed my own beloved piano. :'(

I inherited my Great Aunt's piano when I was about 14 years old. Long story short (I really could write an epic about my love, adoration, trials and tribulations with this piano. Moving it many times, getting it fixed, more things wrong with it, etc.) So after 35 years with this piano, it really was akin to putting a favorite pet down when I finally tore it apart.

I loved that piano, but it was time.

I really wish that my piano had a last day or two, giving joy to people, like Abandoned Piano did before it was put to rest.

I think the video is beautiful.

P.S. I still have the face board, scroll-worked legs, other parts of the cabinet and I still have all of the keys! I'm trying to figure out what to do with the remains . . . maybe make a wall hanging (nice carvings on the faceboard) or a bench of some sort.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 05:56:32 PM »

I agree. The piano was put to the curb and then a refuse company was called to take it away.

There's also a very great probability  ;)  that the videographer staged the whole thing. I'm betting not with the random people walking past the piano. But with the destruction of the piano along with the 2 people who looked like they wanted to take the piano away. Listen to the music during the destruction.

This video was not happenstance.

It was very nicely produced.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:01:09 PM by jpcher »

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »

I agree. The piano was put to the curb and then a refuse company was called to take it away.

There's also a very great probability;)  that the videographer staged the whole thing. I'm betting not with the random people walking past the piano. But with the destruction of the piano along with the 2 people who looked like they wanted to take the piano away. Listen to the music during the destruction.

This video was not happenstance.

It was very nicely produced.

Yeah, the people with the rolling carts at the end was probably staged.  Good effect, though!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 07:45:43 PM by Shoo »

MrTango

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 06:04:44 PM »
It's quite possible that the piano was destroyed before it was placed out there.

The single component of a piano that can never be replaced is the sounding board, which can easily crack or warp if it is subject to adverse conditions (such as swings in humidity and/or temperature).  If the sounding board was already cracked or otherwise broken, the piano was already ruined before it was placed outside.

Seraphine1

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 06:51:42 PM »
Yes to this.

I got a piano for free off Freecycle, and found that the soundboard had dried and cracked. There was no way to repair the E or G above middle C, thereby rendering it useless.

I refinished the woodwork, and put it back on Freecycle.  The man who took it was an art student, who wanted it for a performance art piece.  It was a lovely instrument once, but there was no way to make it sound beautiful again.  I'm glad it found other uses.

chibichan

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 12:25:40 AM »

No worries Bijou...it is sad , but beautiful too . I don't regret seeing it and getting teary . It's the price one pays for getting emotionally involved with inanimate objects  :P .
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 03:28:01 AM »
Thank you all for your thoughts.  I thought it was poignantly beautiful.