Author Topic: Office Popcorn aka Why I'm the Worst Person in the World  (Read 11329 times)

Rockstar420

Office Popcorn aka Why I'm the Worst Person in the World
« on: June 06, 2013, 05:30:32 PM »
sooo what's everyone's opinion on office popcorn?? I had a colleague from another branch bring me some bags of microwave popcorn to the office as a gift.. I'm not going to make it at home (I have an air popper) so I made myself a bag at work.. aaaand everyone just went nuts like a kicked a puppy or something!!! LOL

I know its a faux pas to some -  but REALLY? In our office, we have catered lunches, people routinely eat at their desks, and lots of people eat take out or bring stuff from home, and I have to endure their odours (side note: I'm pregnant, so that's been harder at some times than others  ;))So what gives? Why the double standard with the popcorn??

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Office Popcorn aka Why I'm the Worst Person in the World
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 05:32:44 PM »
Did you burn it?  Because that's an extremely bad smell that seems to linger.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 05:34:32 PM »
Burnt popcorn is dreadful. Plus there's always one person in the office who leaves the bag in way too long and then claims "I didn't know I had to watch it." And that lingering popcorn smell long after the popcorn is gone is annoying, too.
*ETA: I especially detest burned popcorn because our university dorms were evacuated for that on a regular basis. Smoke detectors love burned popcorn. And slick people sneaking cigarettes  ::)

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 05:36:53 PM by TeamBhakta »

Carotte

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 05:40:36 PM »
Could it be the noise? 2 or 3 min ti undure is not that much but depending on the envoronment, when people are trying to work or talk.
What kind of remarks did you get?

Jones

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 05:42:55 PM »
My office provides popcorn, as it is an inexpensive and reasonably healthy snack. Just don't burn it.

Rockstar420

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 05:52:50 PM »
Not burnt at all, not noisy at all - we have a seperate kitchen, away from the work space, that has a door.. it's also the "beer and wings" room every Thursday and Friday, beginning at around 3. The door was actually installed for when it got too rowdy and was distracting people who are trying to work. Much noiser and smellier than my little bag of popcorn (ummm... I work in a very laid back office...) So why so uptight about the POPCORN?!?!  :o

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 06:00:40 PM »
Sometimes the fake butter smell can be pretty gross, too, but if you didn't burn it and people regularly cook other food in the microwave, I don't see a problem.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 06:05:48 PM »
I made a bag of popcorn at work one day and my boss lost.her.mind!!!!   Popcorn in the office microwave seems only second to fish in the microwave (yuck).  I have heard others complain about it in their offices too, and I do know when someone makes it, even unburnt, you can smell it far and wide.

Oh Joy

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 06:10:48 PM »
sooo what's everyone's opinion on office popcorn?? ...

Purely opinion?  To me, it smells awful.  I'd rather someone burn their leftover tuna noodle casserole than smell microwave popcorn...not even burnt.

But that's solely my opinion, and I wouldn't raise a stink (pun intended) if someone properly cooked a bag.

veronaz

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 06:11:26 PM »
(OP, calling yourself the worst person in the world because of popcorn is taking it a bit too far)

Anyway, I really don’t like the strong buttery odor; I get out the air fresnener.  Lite butter or plain is fine.

So, it’s not always about “burnt”.  Some people find the strong odor of popcorn, especially heavy buttered, to be offensive.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 06:14:27 PM »
As long as you don't burn it, no problem.  Maybe everyone wanted some and that's why they were whining.

Before I started, one person was banned from ever making popcorn again.  He could ask someone else to make it for him but he wasn't allowed.  What he did?  He set the timer for 23 minutes, rather than 2 minutes and 30 seconds, by mistake.  And since he left it and went back to his desk, it just kept burning and burning.  I think they had to throw out the microwave.

So don't do that!   :D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

EMuir

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 06:17:46 PM »
Were the comments possibly joking?  I know some coworkers will moan "Argh, popcorn" when they smell it because it is a temptation to them.  Some of them then go pop some for themselves, or occasionally I will offer some.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 06:23:10 PM »
I had absolutely no idea that popcorn or fish were problems in office microwaves until I read it on ehell.  I love both and had been reheating them for years. 

Personally, I gag at the diet pasta meals many of my coworkers reheat -- to me, they're the worst smells possible.  But they're what my coworkers like to eat, so I don't complain.  They're allowed to choose food they like. 

I really think it's ridiculous to police what people heat up or get angry over a specific food.  Everything smells bad to someone, because we're all different.  If someone gives you trouble over the popcorn, they're the rude one, not you.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 06:23:16 PM »
I find the artificial smell of fake buttered popcorn to be gross, but I can't imagine throwing a tantrum at work about it - actually it might make the office feel like a movie theatre.... :-)

How many people are making a fuss, and what specific concerns did they raise?
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 06:41:08 PM »
My office provides popcorn, as it is an inexpensive and reasonably healthy snack. Just don't burn it.

Mine, too. In our old building we even had a big ol' movie theater style popper. It was so great. Of course now instead of associating popcorn smell with picnics or baseball i accociate it with work; but that's ok.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem