Author Topic: Office Popcorn aka Why I'm the Worst Person in the World  (Read 12139 times)

nuit93

Re: Office Popcorn aka Why I'm the Worst Person in the World
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 06:46:56 PM »
My BF used to work for a company where microwaving popcorn was a fireable offense.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 07:30:33 PM »
We have an old-fashioned movie style popcorn popper at work, and at least 5 people make popcorn on a regular basis in the microwave. Popcorn is not an issue at my office.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 07:46:47 PM »
My BF used to work for a company where microwaving popcorn was a fireable offense.

For some reason this just cracks me up.  :)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

lilfox

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 08:01:17 PM »
One of the buildings where I frequently work banned popcorn altogether two months ago, after one too many people walked away while their bag was going.  Not only did this result in burnt popcorn, but this particular building has a lot of delicate equipment and (therefore) a Very sensitive and thorough smoke detector/fire suppressant system.  So, there was a mass shutdown of all that equiment and a whole building evacuation.

This was not the first time, but obviously just putting up progressively more strict warning signs was not enough.  I don't know if it's now a firing offense, but it might get your building privileges revoked, which means severely limiting your usefulness to the company.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it (in a standard office) but if the prevailing attitude is anti-popcorn, I'd find a substitute (puffed rice snacks?) to munch on.

Amara

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 08:18:15 PM »
I too dislike that fake popcorn/butter smell, though I adore the real thing. Fortunately, no one seems to eat it at work where I am now.

I wonder, OP, if the office might consider going in on an air popper? They can be quite inexpensive--I got mine on sale for $12--and would ensure no metallic smell. Then people can add their own butter and salt if desired.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 08:20:10 PM »
I too dislike that fake popcorn/butter smell, though I adore the real thing. Fortunately, no one seems to eat it at work where I am now.

I wonder, OP, if the office might consider going in on an air popper? They can be quite inexpensive--I got mine on sale for $12--and would ensure no metallic smell. Then people can add their own butter and salt if desired.

My home air popper is very loud, which I'd think would be much worse in an office situation.  It's 15 years old though, so maybe they make quiet ones these days?  Not sure.

POF

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 08:21:19 PM »
SO I love the smell of burnt popcorn..... and I love the smell of micro popcorn....

When someone makes popcorn at our office you have to hold it tightly and run the gauntlet of people who want a handful !

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 08:24:36 PM »
I wonder, OP, if the office might consider going in on an air popper?

That's tantamount to telling the OP to get a machine that makes cardboard! :D  Blech!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 08:36:17 PM »
If you want an alternative to popped corn, I'd recommend these.  My mouth is watering for the wasabi ones now!

http://www.snapdragonfood.com/rice-crisps.htm

cwm

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 11:12:45 AM »
At my office the big problem with popcorn is that the smell is distracting. It's a smell that carries very far, and everyone immediately recognizes it. Whether they like it or dislike it, it's extremely polarizing. So when one person has popcorn (or when the popcorn cart is started up again) everyone starts talking about it and we lose a lot of time discussing popcorn. Or going downstairs to get popcorn for ourselves, or what have you.

I have to admit, I was one of those people who caused a fire alarm to go off in college. To be fair, it was a personal sized bag of popcorn, but still said to leave it for the full 2:30, and I was using my suitemate's microwave, but she did NOT want me in her room while it was cooking. So I asked her to pay attention for me, as I was sure the time listed on the bag was wrong. Nope, within a few minutes the smoke alarms were going off and everyone was evacuated. I never trusted anyone else to watch my popcorn again, and I've never walked away from it.

AvidReader

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 11:26:03 AM »
Love to eat any kind of popcorn, however, I loathe the odor of microwave popcorn.  Last place I worked, the odor would get into the air handling system and next thing, the entire public library smelled of microwave popcorn.  Seems to me that a public space like that shouldn't bear any kind of food odor...

lowspark

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 11:41:54 AM »
They sell microwave popcorn packages in the vending machine in our kitchen so people here make it all the time. It seems to me the smell just makes people want some but if they do, they're welcome to buy a package themselves and pop it.

We used to have a guy here who loved the stuff. He'd make it every day. But he would also keep a stack of those bowl-shaped coffee filters at his desk and pour out some to share with anyone who wanted some. It was the perfect amount to satisfy the craving brought on by the smell.

I pop popcorn at home the old fashioned way -- in a pot with oil. I like it better than MW plus it's incredibly cheap to just buy it by the bag. I often pour leftovers into a container and bring them to work for a nice snack. That way I get to eat my popcorn without the smell wafting too far.

So... were people like "ewww popcorn" or "ahhhhh popcorn". In other words, disgusted or envious?

exitzero

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 11:58:47 AM »
The only issue around here is that the smell makes everyone hungry.

I've always wanted to start a rule that who ever passes the popcorn around must also make dental floss availalbe.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 12:06:52 PM »
At my office the big problem with popcorn is that the smell is distracting. It's a smell that carries very far, and everyone immediately recognizes it. Whether they like it or dislike it, it's extremely polarizing. So when one person has popcorn (or when the popcorn cart is started up again) everyone starts talking about it and we lose a lot of time discussing popcorn. Or going downstairs to get popcorn for ourselves, or what have you.

I would bet this is the reason: smell carries.  If you love it, you're distracted.  If you hate it, you're distracted.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Hillia

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 12:19:46 PM »
I worked once in an area with a person who couldn't stand any sort of smells in the office.  He wasn't allergic, no breathing issues, he just didn't like them.  So we couldn't bring in microwaved popcorn, couldn't eat lunch at our desks, on and on and on. The rest of us finally got fed up and came in early one day to create a bubble of Saran Wrap over his desk and chair to protect him from our foul selves (think Boy in the Bubble).  We also individually wrapped everything on his desk in plastic wrap, put the files on his desk into big plastic bags, etc.  It was definitely a 'know your audience' thing; he took it in good humor and after everyone had a good chuckle and took some pictures, we unwrapped everything and put it back to the original state.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools