Author Topic: Office Popcorn aka Why I'm the Worst Person in the World  (Read 12136 times)

Rockstar420

Re: Office Popcorn aka Why I'm the Worst Person in the World
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 03:43:02 PM »
Re: the air popper - I have one at home. Love it. But eating popcorn in the office isnt something I do regularly, I just happened to have a bag that a visiting co-worker brought me. I think the air popper would be even more distracting, tbh.

re: odours.. EVERYONE else eats at their desk, whether it's take out, or the catered lunches that our employer provides. So yesterday for example, there were 100+ people eating stuffed peppers at their desks. BLEH - but of course, I dont say anything, I mean, our company provides us lunch, which is a huge benefit (even if I don't always like the smell)

I think it was more a situation of "you can't have any unless you bring enough to share with the whole class" -- 100+ people!!  ::)

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2013, 10:32:12 PM »
I love the smell of popcorn, but yeah, it's distracting because it makes me crave it even if I'm not hungry ;D.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2013, 10:56:47 PM »
sooo what's everyone's opinion on office popcorn?? ...

Purely opinion?  To me, it smells awful.  I'd rather someone burn their leftover tuna noodle casserole than smell microwave popcorn...not even burnt.

Ditto.

Burnt, or not burnt, the smell is awful. It's revolting having to put up with it in movie theatres.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2013, 10:39:20 AM »
So why so uptight about the POPCORN?!?!  :o

Some people just like the complain!

You didn't burn it, the noise wasn't obnoxious, plus the office always has many other "smelly" foods around so I say just ignore them and keep doing what you want to do.

If they can't take a few smells like butter and/or microwave popcorn but expect a pregnant woman to smell things like wings and whatnot, I'd say they are the ones being babies.  Wings have a much stronger scent than popcorn does. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 10:43:22 AM by Roe »

SiotehCat

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2013, 04:46:57 PM »
I have a perspective here that's a little gross, so I am going to white it out. This probably has nothing to do with the OPs coworkers, but you never know. Warning! It's gross.

I work in a dog grooming salon and have for a long time. When some dogs urinate, it smells exactly like microwaved popcorn. In several different salons, with many different people, this is something that is regularly commented on. I have had customers say it also. 

A lot of people don't know what that smells like, because their dogs probably potty outside. Also, not every dog will have that smell and a spritz isn't enough to make that smell. It has to be a puddles worth. 

So, maybe that's why?

Sorry.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »

You didn't burn it, the noise wasn't obnoxious, plus the office always has many other "smelly" foods around so I say just ignore them and keep doing what you want to do.

If they can't take a few smells like butter and/or microwave popcorn but expect a pregnant woman to smell things like wings and whatnot, I'd say they are the ones being babies.  Wings have a much stronger scent than popcorn does.

That's news to me  ???

veronaz

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2013, 09:36:29 PM »

That's news to me  ???

Me. too.  I also doubt people were looking for something to complain about.  As many have said, some find the odor of microwave popcorn to be offensive.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 11:38:19 PM by veronaz »

Hillia

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2013, 10:45:39 PM »
It may be unpleasant for some, but if you're going to ban (unburned) popcorn, then you have to ban all foods in the office - everything is offensive to someone.  The OP has mentioned that she doesn't like the smell of some lunches taht the office has brought in, but she deals with it as part of working in a shared space.  The others should extend her the same courtesy.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2013, 10:47:09 PM »
I think everyone finds different smells to be strong.  I mentioned upthread that I hate the smell of the pastas my coworkers eat more than anything.  Some folks at ehell hate the smell of popcorn.  Roe hates the smell of wings, but recognizes that we all have to eat, so tolerance of each other's preferences makes sense  :)

Edit: Hillia posted while I was replying, and I agree with her post as well.

veronaz

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2013, 11:42:15 PM »
It may be unpleasant for some, but if you're going to ban (unburned) popcorn, then you have to ban all foods in the office - everything is offensive to someone.  The OP has mentioned that she doesn't like the smell of some lunches taht the office has brought in, but she deals with it as part of working in a shared space.  The others should extend her the same courtesy.

(bolded)No, not necessarily.  I saw a post where making microwave popcorn is grounds for firing but I didn't see where all food had been "banned".  While I personally feel that's extreme, different workplaces set different policies (as is their right).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 11:44:44 PM by veronaz »

Hillia

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2013, 11:55:50 PM »
So my microwavable popcorn can get me fired, but Susie's fish is ok?  Now we have to ban Susie's fish, because it's offensive to me.  But Susie finds Joe's chili nauseating, so out it goes.  Joe can't stand tomato based pasta sauce...and on and on.  If you occupy a shared environment, it's on everyone to give a little to get along.  I get that companies can make whatever ridiculous rules they want, but it sets a bad precedent IMO.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

veronaz

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2013, 12:04:56 AM »
So my microwavable popcorn can get me fired,

Apparently it could have if you worked at the same office as nuit93's BF.  As far as Susie and her fish and Joe and his chili, that would be an HR matter.  Good luck with that!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:06:47 AM by veronaz »

Amara

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2013, 12:58:55 AM »
Fish is a major exception and I doubt anyone here (or most people) are willing to put up with someone heating that in the office microwave. But the thing about microwave popcorn, it seems to me, is that for some reason its smell lingers longer than just about anything else.

Oh Joy

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2013, 09:26:16 AM »
We're talking about courtesy here (the bans are out of our hands, though they add perspective to our discussion.)

The underlying principle is that doing something for pure pleasure that you know commonly makes other people uncomfortable is discourteous.  There are many valid nuances and exceptions, but the principle remains.

It's up to each of us to evaluate the specific circumstances and make the right decision.

Kari

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 09:31:53 AM »
My experience is that microwave popcorn odors are more strong and linger longer than other lunchroom smells. My office is really divided on this issue: some really want to make it whenever they want, while others just go nuts when they do. (It got so bad that someone on the anti-popcorn side who donated a microwave to the kitchen took it back after someone kept using it for popcorn.) As for me, Popcorn is up there on my favorite foods, so when someone else makes it and the smell lingers, it's agony. Especially at that 3:00 slump when I'm trying to get through the rest of the day without pigging out on snacks at my desk. My boss used to make microwave popcorn every day at 3, so I would delay my lunch break until then and take a walk because it was too distracting.

So I love popcorn with all my heart, but I won't bring it to work because it's a distracting smell.