Author Topic: Office Popcorn aka Why I'm the Worst Person in the World  (Read 11463 times)

Roe

• Super Hero!
Re: Office Popcorn aka Why I'm the Worst Person in the World
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2013, 11:40:35 AM »
So why so uptight about the POPCORN?!?!  :o

Some people just like the complain!

You didn't burn it, the noise wasn't obnoxious, plus the office always has many other "smelly" foods around so I say just ignore them and keep doing what you want to do.

If they can't take a few smells like butter and/or microwave popcorn but expect a pregnant woman to smell things like wings and whatnot, I'd say they are the ones being babies.  Wings have a much stronger scent than popcorn does.

That's news to me  ???

Me. too.  I also doubt people were looking for something to complain about.  As many have said, some find the odor of microwave popcorn to be offensive.

Wings smell hurts my nostrils and makes my eyes water.  So it's okay to have wings and not popcorn because you find popcorn offensive?

Food smells are always going to offend someone so if you can't stand popcorn smell, fine, but then ban all food.  Pod Hillia and Surianne.

MrTango

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2013, 11:45:49 AM »
Food smells are always going to offend someone so if you can't stand popcorn smell, fine, but then ban all food.  Pod Hillia and Surianne.

I worked for a company where the CEO did just that.  Turns out that when he came in to the office on his first day of work, someone had reheated fish in the microwave and was eating it at their desk.  His first official act as CEO was to ban all employees from eating any food at their desks.

veronaz

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2013, 12:00:34 PM »
So why so uptight about the POPCORN?!?!  :o

Some people just like the complain!

You didn't burn it, the noise wasn't obnoxious, plus the office always has many other "smelly" foods around so I say just ignore them and keep doing what you want to do.

If they can't take a few smells like butter and/or microwave popcorn but expect a pregnant woman to smell things like wings and whatnot, I'd say they are the ones being babies.  Wings have a much stronger scent than popcorn does.

That's news to me  ???

Me. too.  I also doubt people were looking for something to complain about.  As many have said, some find the odor of microwave popcorn to be offensive.

Wings smell hurts my nostrils and makes my eyes water.  So it's okay to have wings and not popcorn because you find popcorn offensive?

Roe, I’m a bit confused by the way you’re wording your posts and the direction in which you’re venting your anger..

I said I don’t like the strong odor of heavy buttered popcorn.  Actually, I like popcorn – microwave, in a cellophane bag, whatever.

You’re telling me (and whoever) to ban all food.  I didn’t start this thread, I'm not the only person who expressed displeasure at the strong odor, and I don’t make policy at the company where OP works or at any other company.  Even if you’re demanding that all employers (who have people who don’t care for the odor of microwave popcorn) “ban all food” I doubt all or any of those employers will follow your orders.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:16:43 PM by veronaz »

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »
Veronaz, I'm not seeing any anger in Roe's posts.  She's simply saying (as are a few of us) that everyone has different food smells they dislike, so picking out one as being not okay to eat at work (popcorn) is a bit silly, because there are a dozen other foods that are equally offensive to other people.  If it's rude to eat popcorn at work, it's equally rude to eat any other type of food.  "Ban" in the sense of "declare rude by etiquette standards."

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2013, 01:25:27 PM »
Veronaz, I'm not seeing any anger in Roe's posts.  She's simply saying (as are a few of us) that everyone has different food smells they dislike, so picking out one as being not okay to eat at work (popcorn) is a bit silly, because there are a dozen other foods that are equally offensive to other people.  If it's rude to eat popcorn at work, it's equally rude to eat any other type of food.  "Ban" in the sense of "declare rude by etiquette standards."

Thank you Surianne.  It definitely takes more than a popcorn thread to make me angry. ;) 

I'm just pointing out the fact that someone will always find some food smells offensive.  So unless we ban all food in the workplace, we should extend our co-workers the courtesy of letting them warm their meals in the microwave. 

I don't think popcorn smell is offensive at all and can't see the issue with it, others disagree with me.   Others don't find wing smell offensive and wouldn't mind it in the workplace, I can't stand wing smell.

All I'm saying is that working in a close environment with others requires quite a bit of give and take.  The OP wasn't wrong to do as she did, esp since her co-workers often eat "smelly" foods and expect a pregnant woman to live with it. Why can't they extend the same courtesy that she offers them?  It's hypocritical to complain about popcorn when you (general) use the microwave as well.

HyenaInPetticoats

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2013, 02:22:20 PM »

I have to say, I had no idea the smell of popcorn could be considered offensive to people until just now. I love the smell!

I think unless a food smell is considered universally bad then it shouldn't be considered rude.  Surströmming anyone?

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2013, 02:27:08 PM »
I'm just pointing out the fact that someone will always find some food smells offensive.  So unless we ban all food in the workplace, we should extend our co-workers the courtesy of letting them warm their meals in the microwave.

I agree with this.

Rockstar420

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »

I have to say, I had no idea the smell of popcorn could be considered offensive to people until just now. I love the smell!

I think unless a food smell is considered universally bad then it shouldn't be considered rude.  Surströmming anyone?

I guess that's my question - is popcorn one the ones considered "universally bad"? I don't see how it's worse than the foods other people eat at their desks, including fish, chili, curry, etc. Is the difference because it's lunchtime, smells are to be expected, but if I make popcorn at 3pm, its a nuisance?

There's no official policy on any of this, just had a few people make comments in a half-joking way... I think it was mostly a joke, but I'm like - why say anything??? Now I feel awkward about it and will never make it again!

Allyson

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2013, 04:50:44 PM »
I agree with Roe, Surianne etc--I honestly had no awareness that microwave popcorn was even an issue til now. If someone had asked me, what's a universally stinky food that many people would object to, popcorn wouldn't even occur to me.

Sure, if an office wants to have a 'list of banned foods' that is totally their right. It might actually make sense in a small office where everyone is reasonable. Everyone gets to say 'I hate this food smell' and have that respected, so there ends up being a list of several foods not allowed but it's based off the preferences of those specific people, which is all that matters.

But I think the problem happens when there's an assumption that it is/should be widely known that certain foods are universally problematic.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2013, 05:51:02 PM »
Microwave popcorn COULD be dangerous to your health. Diacetyl has been linked to something called "popcorn lung." It mainly affects the people who manufacture the microwave popcorn. I could see how someone would not want to be exposed to it since the evidence of effects are still murky.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2013, 06:07:20 PM »
Microwave popcorn COULD be dangerous to your health. Diacetyl has been linked to something called "popcorn lung." It mainly affects the people who manufacture the microwave popcorn. I could see how someone would not want to be exposed to it since the evidence of effects are still murky.

I think that getting into a medical discussion could get the thread locked.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2013, 07:14:28 PM »

Sorry, I don't want to get in trouble. I just wanted to point out that some people may be worried about safety rather than just being annoyed by the smell.

veronaz

« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2013, 07:16:57 PM »
I just wanted to point out that some people may be worried about safety rather than just being annoyed by the smell.

Thanks, BigBadBetty.  That's a valid point.

Rockstar420

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2013, 07:18:03 PM »

Sorry, I don't want to get in trouble. I just wanted to point out that some people may be worried about safety rather than just being annoyed by the smell.

Definitely not the case in this scenario  ;) The comments made were more along the lines of "boooo didn't bring enough to share??? rude!!"

veronaz

« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2013, 07:21:50 PM »
The comments made were more along the lines of "boooo didn't bring enough to share??? rude!!"

Then smell wasn't even an issue.

I still don't see how not having enough for everyone makes you the worst person in the world.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 07:23:32 PM by veronaz »