Author Topic: Office Popcorn aka Why I'm the Worst Person in the World  (Read 12155 times)

Roe

• Super Hero!
Re: Office Popcorn aka Why I'm the Worst Person in the World
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2013, 07:52:18 PM »
I just wanted to point out that some people may be worried about safety rather than just being annoyed by the smell.

Thanks, BigBadBetty.  That's a valid point.

BigBadBetty, could you post links to support your claim, please?  I did a quick search and not one link discussed the "smell" of popcorn.  It did say that microwave popcorn could be bad for you (which I've read before) but never had I heard that the smell alone was dangerous to one's health.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2013, 08:14:46 PM »
Microwave popcorn COULD be dangerous to your health. Diacetyl has been linked to something called "popcorn lung." It mainly affects the people who manufacture the microwave popcorn. I could see how someone would not want to be exposed to it since the evidence of effects are still murky.

I think that getting into a medical discussion could get the thread locked.

Sorry, I don't want to get in trouble. I just wanted to point out that some people may be worried about safety rather than just being annoyed by the smell.

Yeah, the way I'm looking at it is I could easily find articles that don't support the "smelling popcorn leads to health problems" conclusion, so I could post those, but we'd just get into a fight over whose medical evidence is correct, and then the thread would get locked. 

Since the OP hasn't mentioned that her coworkers have medical concerns about smelling popcorn, I don't think it makes sense to go down that road in this thread.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2013, 08:28:52 PM »
Since the OP hasn't mentioned that her coworkers have medical concerns about smelling popcorn, I don't think it makes sense to go down that road in this thread.

I agree.  Especially when we do know it's not something approved of here.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2013, 09:38:23 PM »
I just wanted to point out that some people may be worried about safety rather than just being annoyed by the smell.

Thanks, BigBadBetty.  That's a valid point.

BigBadBetty, could you post links to support your claim, please?  I did a quick search and not one link discussed the "smell" of popcorn.  It did say that microwave popcorn could be bad for you (which I've read before) but never had I heard that the smell alone was dangerous to one's health.

I don't want to get into a debate about this. I am not a medical professional. In fact, I got a BA so I didn't have to take all the science required of a BS. My point was there are people who BELIEVE the chemical in microwave popcorn is harmful. We have had a baby rush lately. Many of women were extra cautious about being exposed to anything that could possibly be harmful. I am not trying to argue whether actually is or not.

veronaz

« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2013, 09:50:48 PM »
BigBadBetty, don't worry about it.  If someone wants more information or "substantiation", they should send you a PM - not ask for it here and prolong the discussion.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2013, 10:40:41 PM »
BigBadBetty, don't worry about it.  If someone wants more information or "substantiation", they should send you a PM - not ask for it here and prolong the discussion.

I won't continue this particular "health" discussion as Dotty and Surianne are right, it could get the thread locked. 

But just so you know, asking for more information is perfectly acceptable to do in a thread.  One doesn't have to go to PM in order to do so. FYI, I'm not the first person on eHell to ask for further information and I won't be the last. 

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2013, 01:01:39 AM »
But just so you know, asking for more information is perfectly acceptable to do in a thread.  One doesn't have to go to PM in order to do so. FYI, I'm not the first person on eHell to ask for further information and I won't be the last.

Oh, absolutely. It's just that this particular more info is teetering into a dangerous area in terms of the EHell rules. So, in this case, it's probably better to play it safe.

I think it's important that we do have the ability to ask for a cite for facts we see posted. We need to make sure "facts" aren't just thrown out and taken as truth without some evidence of it. For that reason, I'd like to be included on the PM with the info on the "popcorn smell is dangerous", if you could, BigBadBetty. That's a new thing to me, too. I'd be interested to see the medical rationale behind that that you were referring to.

So, Roe, i agree with you and didn't mean my post to sound like I was chastising you for asking. I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:07:22 AM by DottyG »

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2013, 08:00:48 AM »

Oh, absolutely. It's just that this particular more info is teetering into a dangerous area in terms of the EHell rules. So, in this case, it's probably better to play it safe.

I think it's important that we do have the ability to ask for a cite for facts we see posted. We need to make sure "facts" aren't just thrown out and taken as truth without some evidence of it. For that reason, I'd like to be included on the PM with the info on the "popcorn smell is dangerous", if you could, BigBadBetty. That's a new thing to me, too. I'd be interested to see the medical rationale behind that that you were referring to.

So, Roe, i agree with you and didn't mean my post to sound like I was chastising you for asking. I'm sorry.

Dotty, it's fine. We've agreed and disagreed on many discussions through the years.  Key is, when we disagree, you always post with respect and I've never felt "chastised".  (from you, anyway)  lol  :D

BigBadBetty

« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2013, 08:26:23 AM »

I guess I am not being clear: I am not making any health claims. The fact is that I have worked with people who have made this claim that the chemical in some microwave popcorn is dangerous to inhale. That is the only fact I am stating.

veronaz

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2013, 03:12:17 PM »
Just to clear up some apparent confusion, I never said people aren’t supposed to ask for additional information in a discussion thread.  Questions and additional information are part of a discussion; everyone knows that.  The point was that to ask for verification of a medical claim in the thread, thus prolonging the medical discussion – vs PM – could get the thread locked.

But as OP has already said, smell of popcorn was not the problem.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2013, 03:55:31 PM »
Way back in the dark ages, when microwaves were just beginning to be an office item, the employees of the office next door chipped in & bought one. They used to make popcorn most days, and it drove us nuts. No one complained that the smell was bad; it just had us constantly craving popcorn.

So, one day I brought in a toaster oven and baked bread. The other office laughed & said the equivalent of "touché," and started offering us the use of the microwave.

Many years later, the offices of an Important Elected Official were temporarily relocated to one of the upper floors in our building. Not long after, the fire alarm went off. We dutifully left the building until the Fire Dept. sounded the All Clear. The building manager later told me what happened. Yep. Burnt popcorn in one of those offices. However, what really did not amuse the Fire Dept. was that the staff had decided that they were Too Special to have to abide by the "no smoking anywhere in this building" rule. So they had taped plastic bags over the smoke detectors, just in case they were sensitive enough to catch cigarette smoke.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

BarensMom

« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »
At one Evil Oil Company site, microwave popcorn was temporarily banned due to the stupidity of one woman and her resulting tantrum.

Lady put her popcorn into the microwave, set the timer to 23 instead of 2.30 minutes.  Of course, it caught on fire, and the smell/smoke caused an incident, which ended by the Security people having to remove the by-now trashed microwave.  Lady got a reprimand from the Security Head and her supervisor and some ribbing from her coworkers.

About 2-3 hours later, one of the plant workers came into the office and, not knowing what took place, innocently commented to Lady, "Gee, I smell popcorn."  Lady went into a rage and went off on the poor plant worker, who then complained to Lady's supervisor.  Lady was suspended for 2-3 days, a new microwave was purchased, and popcorn was banned from the office for several months.  Once Lady was transferred to another site, popcorn was allowed back.

Cami

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2013, 11:02:28 PM »
A beloved coworker is retiring this month and a card has been making the rounds. The number one comment? About his continual burning of popcorn.

Yup, after 30 years of service and being the most popular staff person in the organization, nonetheless the #1 comment is about the stupid popcorn because it infuriates people so much.

People hate the fish and brussels sprouts, but it's the popcorn that sets them off. Why? Because the smell of burnt popcorn  lingers far longer and spreads throughout the building in ways that other smells do not. It's like a miasma that encompasses us all.

wyliefool

« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »
The comments made were more along the lines of "boooo didn't bring enough to share??? rude!!"

Then smell wasn't even an issue.

I still don't see how not having enough for everyone makes you the worst person in the world.

I'd say they're just being big babies and not to worry about it.

Or, start bringing in durian fruit for your snacks.  >:D

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2013, 09:57:58 AM »
I worked for a law firm where popcorn was not permitted because the smell was so pervasive and they felt it was unprofessional.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls