Author Topic: Office Popcorn aka Why I'm the Worst Person in the World  (Read 11954 times)

Mrs. Tilney

Re: Office Popcorn aka Why I'm the Worst Person in the World
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2013, 11:12:31 AM »
On my first day at a new job, I was shown the microwave and told I couldn't cook fish or popcorn.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
I haven't read the other responses yet, but oh boy is popcorn a volatile work topic!

I am not easily grossed out or nauseated at all. As in I had no problems eating when I worked emergency shift at an animal hospital, or at a human urgent care, or while reading my husband's forensic sciences magazines.

Microwave popcorn, however, I find nearly intolerable. The plain stuff I can more or less handle, but the stuff with the fake butter makes me feel sick to my stomach and sends me into coughing spasms (no, I don't have asthma). When someone at works makes that stuff, I avoid the break room until the smell dissipates even if I'm starving.

Burned popcorn smells awful, but for me it's not as bad as the unburned fake butter stuff.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

White Lotus

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2013, 04:45:48 PM »
I love the smell of popcorn!  I find it cheerful and friendly, and don't mind it at all in places of business -- better than air-fresheners, which I find very unpleasant.  But I don't eat the microwave stuff because of the chemical concerns. If I worked in a regular office, I suppose I'd have to resort to bringing my own pre-popped, with different seasonings for different days, but would miss it not being warm.  I had no idea so many people didn't enjoy the smell of popcorn!  I suspect many others of those who like it don't know how many others don't care for it at all.

EllenS

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2013, 05:29:46 PM »
For me, it is not so much that it is a bad smell, but that it seems to travel much farther and linger much longer than other smells.  We don't even have a microwave on our floor, and the stairwell is on the opposite end, but the whole office was full of popcorn smell this afternoon, either from upstairs or downstairs.  It's distracting and just kind of oppressive in some way - you can't get away from it.

CocoCamm

• Leader of the 3 ring circus
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2013, 10:58:17 PM »
I have a perspective here that's a little gross, so I am going to white it out. This probably has nothing to do with the OPs coworkers, but you never know. Warning! It's gross.

I work in a dog grooming salon and have for a long time. When some dogs urinate, it smells exactly like microwaved popcorn. In several different salons, with many different people, this is something that is regularly commented on. I have had customers say it also. 

A lot of people don't know what that smells like, because their dogs probably potty outside. Also, not every dog will have that smell and a spritz isn't enough to make that smell. It has to be a puddles worth. 

So, maybe that's why?

Sorry.

Yes!!! I thought I was the only weirdo who thinks microwave popcorn smells like *that* I swear whenever my hubby makes popcorn and I'm not aware of what he's doing and I just smell it my first thought is which dog had an accident gosh darn it!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2013, 07:17:34 PM »
The comments made were more along the lines of "boooo didn't bring enough to share??? rude!!"

Then smell wasn't even an issue.

I still don't see how not having enough for everyone makes you the worst person in the world.

I'm sure the OP was using hyperbole and a bit of sardonic humor to make a point about how her coworkers made her feel and how odd she found their behavior.  Obviously, that isn't your sense of humor.

OP, even if your coworkers were joking, it wasn't the kind of joke you like/respond to how they expect.  Next time just shrug it off; foods with strong odors are a norm and your office and no one should be made to feel bad about eating them.  I think your coworkers were being passive aggressive about wanting popcorn and their own jealousy that they didn't have any.  Ignore them, give noncommittal responses, and go about your day.  "How rude of you to make popcorn and now share it," may get a response from me of, "Are you going to share Whatever Your Delicious Snack is?" with a quirked eyebrow and no-nonsense face.  I may have also said, "I guess I'm rude then for wanting to eat my own popcorn."
OP,
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

lellah

« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2013, 09:42:45 PM »
So here's a thing: people who work in microwave popcorn factories have an incredibly high incident of lung disease, including cancer, because of the weirdo chemical sludge used to make the butter flavor.  Of course, there's no compelling evidence that occasional exposure to the smell or the food itself has worrisome health effects.  But it freaks me out, and, as others said, the smell never ever goes away.  I'm soundly team No Popcorn in the Office.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2013, 11:26:12 AM »
So here's a thing: people who work in microwave popcorn factories have an incredibly high incident of lung disease, including cancer, because of the weirdo chemical sludge used to make the butter flavor.  Of course, there's no compelling evidence that occasional exposure to the smell or the food itself has worrisome health effects.  But it freaks me out, and, as others said, the smell never ever goes away.  I'm soundly team No Popcorn in the Office.

I don't base my actions on another person's paranoia. That doesn't make me rude.