Author Topic: Who chooses the birthday cake flavor? #18, 75  (Read 10168 times)

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
Re: Who chooses the birthday cake flavor?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 07:04:53 PM »
The birthday person should get to choose the cake they like (although like I others, I think within reason - if other/important guests have easy to avoid allergies, that flavor/ingredient shoudl be avoided).

...On a related note, this thread reminds me of a conversation with my SO recently.

Kaypeep:  Honey, what kind of cake do you want for your birthday?
SO:  Pie.
Kaypeep:  What kind of pie?
SO:  Pizza
 ::)

OT but this reminded me of a stand up routine I saw once. The comedian was talking about his first night at college and his new roommate, a guy from NYC. The roommate said "hey first night at college we should celebrate! Lets split a pie!" Comedian said "sure sounds good," thinking it a bit weird, but ok, yum, pie. Roommate says "what kind do you like?" Comedian replies "apple". The comedian then told the audience that night he and his roommate dined on a half pepperoni half apple pizza.
Where does one find a shop that stocks apples for pizza?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

NyaChan

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 07:10:20 PM »
Its probably just an exaggeration for the joke, but they do have apple filling for the dessert pizzas in some places.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 07:54:12 PM »
Where does one find a shop that stocks apples for pizza?

CiCi's (the pizza buffet chain) sells apple dessert pizzas

TomatoBunny

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 02:04:24 AM »
On a related note, this thread reminds me of a conversation with my SO recently.

Kaypeep:  Honey, what kind of cake do you want for your birthday?
SO:  Pie.
Kaypeep:  What kind of pie?
SO:  Pizza
 ::)

Kaypeep, that is hilarious and sounds like something I would say!  ;D  Then I'd be all unpopular because I usually like black olives (in addition to other stuff) on it and practically no one I meet ever likes black olives on pizza.  :P  Also, some of those apple pizzas are awesome. I even had a great chocolate chip/rocky road-ish pizza once, fresh from the oven too... so gooood.

In regards to the allergy comments; I agree that allergies should be considered, but in this case, Jackie just hates chocolate, no allergies. I'm sorry, I meant to include that in the OP. Jackie actually doesn't eat many sweets, so it's beyond me why she even made this offer, other than she must be having her biannual cake craving or something.  ::)

Adam generally makes his own cake, from a box mix. It's usually chocolate. He didn't this year because of Jackie; he felt having two regular sized cakes in the house at the same time would be too much. He initially thought she was going to make a box mix for him, so he was going to rattle off a few flavors he liked, some of which Jackie also likes, so this way would have worked out much better, but Jackie didn't want to make one, she wanted to buy one premade from the grocery, so that limited the options significantly. She is capable of baking a box mix, but I think she simply wanted the convenience of a premade cake, which apparently was still too much of a hassle for her in the end.  :-\

Adam's a bit put out about how everything went down, but the consensus here made him feel a bit better than he wasn't being unreasonable and Jackie was making it about herself. Lately Adam's been realizing that he has been more generous with Jackie than vice versa and this is just another instance on the pile.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 03:12:31 AM »
I agree, birthday person's choice unless allergies and what not. Then a good compromise can be found.

My own funny birthday cake stories.... I didn't much care what flavor my cake was because I couldn't eat it! (Those store bought cakes are too sweet for me) If I could choose any cake in the world though it would be a dairy queen ice cream cake. I actually can eat those. :D

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 10:17:43 AM »
There's only 5 in my immediate family and even then, the birthday person gets to choose. 

My dad once bought me a cheesecake for my birthday. I hate cheesecake.  Hate it!  But it's his favorite.   ::)  I took one bite to be polite and then gave it to my DH.  On my actual birthday, my DH got me an actual birthday cake, strawberry, my favorite. 

I get cheesecake for my son when it's his birthday even if I won't eat it.  Cheesecake is his favorite and it's his day so he gets to choose.

I honestly don't understand why people make birthdays about themselves when it's not their birthday!

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 10:25:16 AM »
Birthday person gets to choose.  My DD's birthdays are this coming week and both have picked their cakes (yes, we get separate cakes for birthdays 4 days apart) and ice cream flavor (birthday cake ice cream is beyond disgusting!).  There was only 5 of us at my last job so we always got the birthday person a special treat..they got to pick...usually.  For some reason, my last birthday there Boss lady brought in 2 pies for my birthday (I prefer pie to cake).  She brought a peach pie and a raspberry pie.  Lovely thought but it was widely known there were only 2 fruits I don't eat..guess which 2 they are?  So they enjoyed the pie and my boss ripped me up and down for being "a baby for not eating it".  FTR, all I said was none for me thank you.  It sounds like Adam's sister is a bit of a SS trying to make it about herself.

jmarvellous

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 10:43:04 AM »
My story about why I am adamant that everyone gets to choose for themselves:  Growing up, my dad's birthday was two days before mine and my brother's was the day after. We had a family tradition that the birthday person got to pick a birthday dinner and dessert, but since my day was right in the middle and my brother also often had a birthday party on the nearest Saturday (which sometimes fell on my birthday, of course) and Easter generally was in there somewhere, I was always asked to be the compromiser and pick something other than cake.

Not sure why it always fell on me, but after 10+ years of that,  I'd even managed to convince myself that I liked "cookie cake" better than real cake, mainly because it held up better leftover-wise.

MummySweet

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 10:56:41 AM »
Birthday person chooses.   I am allergic to strawberries but my oldest son loves them.   He gets white cake with strawberry buttercream and fresh strawberry slices.   I just don't have any cake on his birthday.  (If there was an issue of airborne or contact allergy reaction we would look at this differently;  but we don't feel a need to make sure everyone can eat the cake.)

Oh Joy

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2013, 11:09:51 AM »
My vote is for Jackie to accommodate and adapt.  For example, serve the chocolate cake, but with vanilla ice cream and sliced strawberries, and each person (meaning she) can choose whichever components they like.

kudeebee

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2013, 07:51:54 PM »
Birthday person gets to choose.  Otherwise, it really isn't for him, is it?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2013, 10:38:06 PM »
A birthday cake is for the birthday person, so I think they should get to choose what flavor cake/desert they want.  If someone doesn't like that flavor, then that person can go and get their own desert.  I do think that compromise is good and nice, but ultimately the person being celebrated should have what they want.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2013, 11:26:40 PM »
I don't understand why anyone would ask someone what they wanted for their birthday and then deny them.  ::)

Minmom3

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 12:47:43 AM »
I think the birthday person gets to choose, but if it's such a problem get cupcakes in assorted flavours.

Jackie should not try to make someone else's birthday about what she wants and prefers.

Heh.  The tradition in my DH's family was that the birthday person got to choose the meal of their choice.  It could get pricey, but that was fine.  FIL would trot down to the Commissary and bring home something yummy.  One BIL wanted X potatoes.  SIL (only sister) said she didn't want to make them, she wanted baked potatoes, and she was going to make them.  When it was pointed out that she always got what SHE wanted on her birthday, and today wasn't her birthday, it was his, she said to his face that she didn't care, she wanted baked potatoes and she was making baked potatoes.  Somehow, for many years after that, we happened to be absent on DH's sisters birthday dinner.  She saw nothing wrong in her behavior; MIL didn't think she could win in a contest with her daughter so didn't even try to correct her behavior, and FIL didn't think his little girl could do anything wrong, EVAR - so we all had baked potatoes that night. 

Oddly enough, she's on the side of the family DH no longer speaks to.  Long messy stories.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

mharbourgirl

• I am what I am, not what everyone wishes me to be
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 09:26:37 AM »
Kaypeep, that is hilarious and sounds like something I would say!  ;D  Then I'd be all unpopular because I usually like black olives (in addition to other stuff) on it and practically no one I meet ever likes black olives on pizza.

Well, now you know someone!  *waves* Hi! :)  The Husband Unit hates black olives and can't wrap his head around my passion for them.  I kindly don't put them on the pizza I make for him, but I definitely eat the pizza with olives on it at work functions, and if I get a sub I ALWAYS get black olives on it.  Greek salad is also awesome because, black olives.  Hey, we should do lunch. ;)