Author Topic: Who chooses the birthday cake flavor? #18, 75  (Read 8908 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Who chooses the birthday cake flavor?
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 09:31:03 AM »
Kalamata olives on a pizza, swoon!

We have a similar issue since MIL refuses to touch chocolate, and all three guys love chocolate the most! I generally bake a cake for the birthday person and then vanilla cupcakes so she can have one of those.

katycoo

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2013, 09:37:23 AM »
If you are making the cake, I think the baker gets some say, but should consider the birthday persons preferences.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2013, 09:48:48 AM »
If the person who is buying the cake wants tog et a certain flavor, fine.
And the most gracious choice *might* be the honorees favorite flavor, but if it's a communal b'day, then "a flavor that everyone can eat" is fine--because it's not a one-person cake.

But it's sort of ungracious to say, "you get to pick, but you don't get to pick your favorite flavor."

I don't understand why anyone would ask someone what they wanted for their birthday and then deny them.  ::)

Yeah, if you're going to ask, be prepared for the answer.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 10:31:43 AM »
I think the birthday person gets to choose, but if it's such a problem get cupcakes in assorted flavours.

Jackie should not try to make someone else's birthday about what she wants and prefers.

Agreed on both counts.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 10:39:11 AM »
I agree that birthday person gets to choose.  The person makign the cake could make two kinds of dessert if they wanted somethign different.

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 10:39:32 AM »
Kaypeep, that is hilarious and sounds like something I would say!  ;D  Then I'd be all unpopular because I usually like black olives (in addition to other stuff) on it and practically no one I meet ever likes black olives on pizza.

Well, now you know someone!  *waves* Hi! :)  The Husband Unit hates black olives and can't wrap his head around my passion for them.  I kindly don't put them on the pizza I make for him, but I definitely eat the pizza with olives on it at work functions, and if I get a sub I ALWAYS get black olives on it.  Greek salad is also awesome because, black olives.  Hey, we should do lunch. ;)

Large with tomato, mushroom, garlic, black olives and Italian sausage on half is standard takeout order.  :D

And yes, the birthday person's preference should have taken precedence in this case.
The days are long but the years are short.

nayberry

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 12:58:11 PM »
Birthday person gets to choose

Hub's had his birthday not very long ago and he wanted Xcake, now this is a cake i have never made or like,  so we found a store that sold them, got one and shared it out, turns out if i scraped yukky bit off the rest of Xcake was ok.

Secret

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2013, 03:46:59 PM »
Absolutely, Honoree's choice.  I've been involved with my SO's family for at least10 years.  My SIL's birthday falls during prime strawberry picking season. EVERY year her mom makes her a strawberry shortcake dessert.  I asked her about it and she doesnt' get to pick the cake, it just appears and while she doesn't loathe it, she would like another flavour.  So I bake her birthday cake for her now and ask what flavour she wants (and actually bake it to!)

snowdragon

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2013, 04:20:29 PM »
I gotta agree, the person's whose b-day it is picks.
I feel bad for Adam

Allyson

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2013, 11:34:00 PM »
Yep, main problem here is asking an open ended question and then saying 'oh no, not that!' If she doesn't want to make Adam a chocolate cake, then she should say, "Would you rather vanilla or carrot?" or something. It's a huge peeve of mine when people will say something like 'what do you want to do' or 'what do you want for dinner' and then veto things at random.

Isometric

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2013, 12:24:41 AM »
I'm confused, where is Adam's cake?? That's a mean thing to do!

But, yes, definitely birthday person's choice!!

CakeEater

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2013, 01:35:48 AM »
I think the birthday person should choose, but in this case, I don't think he should have chosen chocolate.

If there's only 4 or 5 people sharing the cake, I think it's nice if a flavour can be chosen that everyone will like to eat so they can all join in the celebration.

Birthday boy can go and buy himself his favourite cake any day of the year.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 09:58:01 AM »
I think the birthday person should choose, but in this case, I don't think he should have chosen chocolate.

If there's only 4 or 5 people sharing the cake, I think it's nice if a flavour can be chosen that everyone will like to eat so they can all join in the celebration.

Why does that not extend to Jackie, though ?

magicdomino

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2013, 10:32:48 AM »

Why does that not extend to Jackie, though ?

Exactly.  Most people like chocolate cake well enough, and it is quite possible that Jackie is the only one who won't eat it.  Jackie can make carrot cake any time.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2013, 12:53:58 PM »

Birthday boy usually made his own cake.  Jackie offered to buy him a cake, asked him what kind he liked, and then tried to change his mind when she didn't like what he had chosen.
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/