Author Topic: Posting for sponsors on a buisness facebook group  (Read 1966 times)

jilly

Posting for sponsors on a buisness facebook group
« on: June 08, 2013, 02:07:26 PM »
The business in question is the gym I am a member of. It has a group on facebook, set up by the gym, and is mostly used to update opening times for bank holidays, letting members know about membership deals, supplements and so on. There have been posts from members, gym related stuff or does anyone want to go to fitness show with me type stuff. There was a post to raise sponsorship once but this was for an event taking place in the gym.
My question is would it be inappropriate to post asking if anyone would sponsor me, via on-line form or txt so no need for anyone to hold cash, as I am taking part in a charity fun run? I guess my best bet would be to ask the owner as it's a small local gym so he's rarely not there?

I think I just answered my own question but are there any general guidelines for this type of facebook group?

NyaChan

Re: Posting for sponsors on a buisness facebook group
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 02:34:19 PM »
Based on the interaction you've described on the FB, I wouldn't post about it there.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 02:51:06 PM »
 I think you can message the business on FB (if that option is available) or ask staff/owner in person or email.

Promise

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
No, don't post it there. Post it on your own FB page. Probably most of the people are strangers to you who go to that page and they might not care to have you solicit them. It's best to solicit from people you know.

katycoo

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 11:53:54 PM »
1 non-pushy post just saying you were doing a thing and anyone interested in supporting could follow the link wouldn't bother me.  But if it inadvertantly led to a lot of people doing similar things, I would be annoyed.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 10:47:11 PM »

I  would say yes, inappropriate - the message is posted in a forum where it will be mainly read by customers of the gym, who will likely not appreciate being asked for sponsorship by someone they don't know.

You can post a message on *your* Facebook feed asking for sponsorships. If they follow your posts, they'll see it, if they don't, you're not close enough to ask them for money. You could also send a private Facebook message to the owners of the gym, but I wouldn't recommend that - you're their customer, not their friend.

jilly

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 02:54:03 PM »
I haven't asked for sponsorship on the gym group page or even mentioned it to the gym owner apart from requesting a training plan for the 5Km. I struggle with face book as it blurs friends/business lines especially with small businesses in an area where you often find the person you are talking to is  friend of a friend.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 04:24:08 PM »

I  would say yes, inappropriate - the message is posted in a forum where it will be mainly read by customers of the gym, who will likely not appreciate being asked for sponsorship by someone they don't know.

You can post a message on *your* Facebook feed asking for sponsorships. If they follow your posts, they'll see it, if they don't, you're not close enough to ask them for money. You could also send a private Facebook message to the owners of the gym, but I wouldn't recommend that - you're their customer, not their friend.

I agree, I think it would be very inappropriate to post it on the gym's Facebook page, and I'd hope they'd delete it if you did. 

Posting it on your own would be fine.  You could even say you're training @Gym Name and then the gym would see your post, and could repost it if they were interested in sharing it on their own page.

thedudeabides

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »
Definitely inappropriate. You would be spamming the group.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 02:31:55 PM »
I think the only things that a person should post on someone else's wall are those things that directly benefit the person whose wall it is.

So, posting a link to some sort of fitness story in which the type of techniques the gym uses are praised? OK.

For a friend, posting a link to a story about something you know the person has discussed with friends before, OK.

Posting a link that says, "Hey, fellow fitness buffs, there's a charity run--want to enter?"
Maybe OK.

Posting a link that advertises something you are doing (charity or not) on ANYone else's wall? Not appropriate.