Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Girls Only . . . what would you serve for an afternoon get-together? UPDATE#37

<< < (2/9) > >>

NyaChan:
If you are going to be drinking, I would want something substantial.  So cut up sandwiches, chips with good dips or salsa, a salad with actual vegetables and protein, some dessert. 

kudeebee:
How about a salad that the guests can add chicken or shrimp, strawberries, pineapple, pecans, walnuts, cheeses, etc to along with a variety of dressings for your dinner?  Like the appetizers that have been suggested--dips and hummus with fruits, veggies, pita crackers; the small sandwiches; brushetta; maybe a hot dip.

ladyknight1:
I just saw a recipe today for a grilled chicken salad with avocado, red onion, tomato and lime. You serve it with the larger tortilla chips. Sounds divine! I will be making that for lunch this week.

Also, skewers are usually popular.
Caprese - grape tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and sprinkled with salt and pepper.
Thai chicken - grilled and marinated chicken, served with a peanut sauce.
Shrimp - place raw shrimp on skewers, sprinkle with seasonings, grill or broil for a few minutes until opaque. Serve with lemon wedges.
Dessert - small square brownies, fresh pineapple, fresh strawberries, served with caramel sauce.

Library Dragon:
Will you be sitting at a table?  My go-to for summer at this type of gathering is quiche, salad, bread, and a nice dessert. I make a few different types, spinach, quiche Lorraine, and a tomato-mozzarella tart.  They are hearty without being ordinary. 

(Winter time I like to make ribollita since its a hearty soup most people haven't had.)

cicero:

--- Quote from: Sharnita on June 08, 2013, 06:17:29 PM ---I am not actually a fan of the idea that being a female means I'm inclined toward eating a bit of fluff.  I want substantial food.  I think that is probably what a lot of women enjoy.

--- End quote ---
i agree but i think this is a "know your audience" kind of thing. I also prefer "food" and not its and bits.

I'm thinking about "what would I do if this was me and my nieces and sisters/SILs" and I  think it might be fun to have a fancy tea party - sandwiches (can go lighter or more substantial, cut into quarters), a nice tea (and coffee of course!), scones and cream, veg sticks and dip, etc. Depending on how late this will go, i would then offer a meal - in my family this would probably be some kind of roast chicken dish, salad, 1-2 sides.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version