Author Topic: Girls Only . . . what would you serve for an afternoon get-together? UPDATE#37  (Read 6101 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Maybe this should be posted in the recipe request topic, but I'm thinking of doing something special for an afternoon get-together with my MIL, SIL, Niece, my 2 DDs and I.

Since it's Girls Only, I'm thinking of doing a lighter/classier type of appetizer menu rather than my usual go-to apps. But I'm clueless, here. Probably because I'm a bit bored of my usual go-to apps, which are rather hardy when men are invited. Any suggestions for a lighter menu?

The get-together will start at 2:00 and last 'till everyone wants to go home. I don't think that I'll need to plan a dinner, but maybe I should have something in mind just in case we're having a really good time and the get-together goes into the evening hours.

Do you think I should plan on a dinner just in case? What type of dinner would you plan, whether it's served or not?

I do know that (with this crowd) the wine bottle will be flowing, and I'll have iced tea, coffee, and sodas on hand.

But I'm in a quandary as to what to serve for apps. For this type of get-together would you serve sweets? Chip's-n-dips? Finger sandwiches? Shrimp cocktail?

Or not serve any apps at all?

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated. ;D

Thanks, in advance.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 06:17:57 PM by jpcher »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Girls Only . . . what would you serve for an afternoon get-together?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
Personally, I'd have something heartier on standby, in case the outing continues on into the evening.  Something that can be heated up, like a lasagna with salad and fresh bread.  But something you can use another day if it doesn't carry on.

I'd go heavier on the veggies and fruit and easier on the heavy, meaty appetizers.  What about fancy little sandwiches?  Little cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off, for example.  My Mom would make up three separate fillings, get square uncut loaves of bread.  Then she'd slice them lengthwise, spread the fillings in layers and put the loaf back together then ice the whole thing in cream cheese.  Then, when you sliced it, you'd have these pretty layers with different colours of the different fillings.

Then you could have a veggie tray, a fruit tray, maybe a cheese tray, maybe some hummus and assorted crackers and breads.  Mom made a fruit dip that was whipped cream with no sugar added and some orange juice concentrate.  It was really good.  I can dig up the recipe, if you want it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 05:47:47 PM »
Sounds fun! I usually head to the Mediterranean for inspiration. Bruschetta, spanakopita, hummus, caprese skewers, fruit and crudités. But maybe because I am so dreadfully warm right now and can't bear using the stove or oven. As for sweets, petit fours and chocolate dipped fruits wouldn't be too heavy. If grilling, I have a recipe for grilled and stuffed portabella caps that I use for vegetarian guests at barbecues.

Any of this sound appealing to you?

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 06:08:09 PM »
I came here to say that the timing is a bit early for tea, but I'd look at some little cakes and sandwiches that would be served at a tea--cucumber sandwiches, or watercress, with some little cakes and cookies.

However, I read Valentines Mommy's menu and now I want that.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 06:17:29 PM »
I am not actually a fan of the idea that being a female means I'm inclined toward eating a bit of fluff.  I want substantial food.  I think that is probably what a lot of women enjoy.

NyaChan

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 06:19:50 PM »
If you are going to be drinking, I would want something substantial.  So cut up sandwiches, chips with good dips or salsa, a salad with actual vegetables and protein, some dessert. 

kudeebee

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 07:50:42 PM »
How about a salad that the guests can add chicken or shrimp, strawberries, pineapple, pecans, walnuts, cheeses, etc to along with a variety of dressings for your dinner?  Like the appetizers that have been suggested--dips and hummus with fruits, veggies, pita crackers; the small sandwiches; brushetta; maybe a hot dip.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 12:09:26 AM »
I just saw a recipe today for a grilled chicken salad with avocado, red onion, tomato and lime. You serve it with the larger tortilla chips. Sounds divine! I will be making that for lunch this week.

Also, skewers are usually popular.
Caprese - grape tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and sprinkled with salt and pepper.
Thai chicken - grilled and marinated chicken, served with a peanut sauce.
Shrimp - place raw shrimp on skewers, sprinkle with seasonings, grill or broil for a few minutes until opaque. Serve with lemon wedges.
Dessert - small square brownies, fresh pineapple, fresh strawberries, served with caramel sauce.

Library Dragon

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 03:36:50 AM »
Will you be sitting at a table?  My go-to for summer at this type of gathering is quiche, salad, bread, and a nice dessert. I make a few different types, spinach, quiche Lorraine, and a tomato-mozzarella tart.  They are hearty without being ordinary. 

(Winter time I like to make ribollita since its a hearty soup most people haven't had.)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 06:19:19 AM »
I am not actually a fan of the idea that being a female means I'm inclined toward eating a bit of fluff.  I want substantial food.  I think that is probably what a lot of women enjoy.
i agree but i think this is a "know your audience" kind of thing. I also prefer "food" and not its and bits.

I'm thinking about "what would I do if this was me and my nieces and sisters/SILs" and I  think it might be fun to have a fancy tea party - sandwiches (can go lighter or more substantial, cut into quarters), a nice tea (and coffee of course!), scones and cream, veg sticks and dip, etc. Depending on how late this will go, i would then offer a meal - in my family this would probably be some kind of roast chicken dish, salad, 1-2 sides.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

shygirl

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 08:55:24 PM »
I just saw a recipe today for a grilled chicken salad with avocado, red onion, tomato and lime. You serve it with the larger tortilla chips. Sounds divine! I will be making that for lunch this week.

Ooh, that sounds really good!  Is it a recipe you can post?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 09:06:49 PM »
It is in the Cooking Light "Fast & Fresh" magazine. I looked again and there are 4 chicken salads.

Avocado Chicken Salad - 2 Tb olive oil, 2Tb lime juice, salt & pepper, 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast, 1/4 cup cilantro, 3/4 cup fresh salsa, 1 avocado (diced)
Mix the first four ingredients, add chicken and toss to coat. Gently combine remaining ingredients and serve with tortilla chips.

Let me know if you want the others, Greek chicken salad, Tarragon chicken salad, and Chicken and green bean salad.

veronaz

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 09:32:10 PM »

Agree.  Also, I'm not  a fan of the term "girls" being applied to adult females.

Curious Cat

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 11:34:38 PM »

Agree.  Also, I'm not  a fan of the term "girls" being applied to adult females.

Presumably the OP knows her guests well enough to not invite anyone that would be insulted by her hospitality.  It seems churlish to chastise her without giving even one piece of advice about how to make the party a success.

Personally I think a girls only super fancy tea party with different finger sandwiches and lots of cute pasteries (maybe macaroons?) sounds delightful and I might have to throw one myself.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 11:46:21 PM by Curious Cat »

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 05:44:15 AM »

I think you are looking for offense when none was intended.

OP, I like the "afternoon tea" ideas!  :)