Author Topic: Girls Only . . . what would you serve for an afternoon get-together? UPDATE#37  (Read 5374 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Girls Only . . . what would you serve for an afternoon get-together?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 07:44:27 AM »
My onion tart is very simple and a major hit with everyone I've served it to.  I also do a pasta and veggie salad that can easily have cooked chicken or shrimp added to it.

lowspark

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 09:27:35 AM »
I am not actually a fan of the idea that being a female means I'm inclined toward eating a bit of fluff.  I want substantial food.  I think that is probably what a lot of women enjoy.

Agree.  Also, I'm not  a fan of the term "girls" being applied to adult females.

I'm in my 50s and my friends and I refer to ourselves as "girls" all the time. I can see that some might take offense but I'm not sure that it was appropriate to chastise the OP for that here. After all, she wasn’t calling you a girl.

Back on topic, I like the idea of light tidbits with a meal after. On the other hand, if you do a more substantial “tea” with more substantial foods, then you don’t need a dinner afterwards.

Either way, I’d definitely let your guests know that is what you’re planning so that they can plan accordingly. If I know there’s a regular meal coming, I won’t fill up quite as much on the appetizers. Or if there will be a substantial meal at 2, I would make sure not to eat a regular lunch at noon.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 04:40:45 PM »
Cream scones with fresh strawberries and clotted cream is my go-to choice.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

NyaChan

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 04:50:22 PM »

Waaaaant.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 08:40:41 PM »

Do you have a recipe for this?  Sounds amazing!

katycoo

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 08:44:19 PM »
I'd do it High Tea style.

Some little sandwiches

Some savouries - individual pies, sausage rolls, or other tart type thing

Some desserts - little cakes, muffins, scones, slice or chocolates

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 08:47:40 PM »
I am not actually a fan of the idea that being a female means I'm inclined toward eating a bit of fluff.  I want substantial food.  I think that is probably what a lot of women enjoy.

I agree.  What I'm worried about is if the women know your normal appetizer menu, they may eat a small lunch expecting your regular appetizers that are filling -- and then wind up hungry if they get the "female" versions that are less substantial.  Can you make it clear on the invitation that these will be smaller or lighter appetizers, versus what you normally serve? 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 08:53:45 PM »
Can someone please explain why the cucumber sandwiches have to have the crusts cut off when that is usually the best and tastiest part of the bread?

NyaChan

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 08:56:39 PM »
Can someone please explain why the cucumber sandwiches have to have the crusts cut off when that is usually the best and tastiest part of the bread?

Well they don't have to, but it makes it easier to cut neat shapes for the sandwiches.  Sometimes I leave em' on, others I chop the off and use the crusts in something else.

Ginger G

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 01:50:23 PM »
I'm from the south and we adult women often refer to ourselves as "girls".  For example, girls night out, etc.  It can come off as a bit condescending when a man does it though.

If I was having a ladies afternoon get-together in the warm spring/summer months, I would serve some or all of the following:  chicken salad and pimento cheese finger sandwiches, guacamole and salsa with tortilla chips, cheese and fruit plate, steamed (crisp) asparagus with a dill dip, and cheesecake and/or lemon bars.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 07:29:54 PM »

Do you have a recipe for this?  Sounds amazing!

2 cups self-rising flour
2tsp sugar
1tsp salt
1-1 1/2 c heavy cream

Preheat oven to 425.
Sift dry ingredients into bowl. Gradually add enough cream to make a soft dough. Use only as much cream as needed- you may need less or more.
Knead lightly on a floured board.
Roll out to 1/2-3/4 inch thickness. Cut into two inch rounds or make dough square and cut into triangles, depending on the size you want.
Space out on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
If you don't eat them that day, they can be frozen, then thawed and warmed in a slow oven.

I got the strawberries at the farmer's market and the clotted cream at Whole Foods. If you don't have access, whipped cream with a touch of vanilla and sugar is wonderful.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 02:13:07 PM by Winterlight »
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 08:28:15 PM »
Thanks for your responses everyone! ;D

I agree with you. I just thought of "dressing it up a bit" you know, for something different and special. Maybe even putting a table cloth down :o, using the nice dishes (instead of paper plates) adding a pretty centerpiece . . . Kinda pretending that we're actually a classy bunch for the afternoon. 8)

Maybe I should just stick to the norm. :-\

Agree.  Also, I'm not  a fan of the term "girls" being applied to adult females.

My apologies, I never meant to offend anyone. Should I have said "Ladies Only?" Would that have been better?  :-\

My Mom would make up three separate fillings, get square uncut loaves of bread.  Then she'd slice them lengthwise, spread the fillings in layers and put the loaf back together then ice the whole thing in cream cheese.  Then, when you sliced it, you'd have these pretty layers with different colours of the different fillings.

I remember my mom doing this for her get-togethers many years ago. But for the life of me, I can't remember what the fillings were. What does your mom fill it with?

Library Dragon -- Yes, we'll be sitting at my patio table.

I was thinking of having the table set with the apps before people arrive. I don't think I'll actually have place-settings, just a stack of plates and napkins. I don't want people to think that they have to eat since it's between lunch and dinner . . . that's another reason for the lighter fare.

Sounds fun! I usually head to the Mediterranean for inspiration. Bruschetta, spanakopita, hummus, caprese skewers, fruit and crudités. But maybe because I am so dreadfully warm right now and can't bear using the stove or oven. As for sweets, petit fours and chocolate dipped fruits wouldn't be too heavy. If grilling, I have a recipe for grilled and stuffed portabella caps that I use for vegetarian guests at barbecues.

Any of this sound appealing to you?

Bruschetta -- is a good thought, but I'll probably stick to only one sandwich type app . . . I'm leaning toward cucumber finger sandwiches* or a sandwich loaf like Outdoor Girl suggested.

caprese skewers -- Yes! excellent suggestion!

crudités -- This shows how un-classy I actually am. :'( I had to look this up. Oh! Veggie tray! :-[

I would very much appreciate your recipe for the mushroom caps. I make a stuffed mushroom but am always interested in other variations. Probably won't use a grill, though. Can these be made in the oven? Thanks!

I came here to say that the timing is a bit early for tea, but I'd look at some little cakes and sandwiches that would be served at a tea--cucumber sandwiches, or watercress, with some little cakes and cookies.

This is exactly the sort of sandwiches that I was thinking of!

Just winging it, I would think of spreading a slice of hearty white bread with a cream cheese mixed with a bit of milk/cream, add a slice of cucumber and top with fresh dill . . . yes, I think I should cut of the crust and serve open face, it's just prettier that way, in my opinion.

camlan -- if you have a recipe for cucumber sandwiches, I'd love to see it. Along with a recipe for watercress sandwiches. Thanks!

I'm thinking my menu might be:

*caprese skewers
*crudités
*crackers/cheese
*Cucumber finger sandwiches (maybe watercress, too?) or Outdoor Girl's sandwich loaf?
*Stuffed mushrooms
*Winterlight's scones with whipped cream
*Fresh-cut fruits (to go with the scones and whipped cream)

Then, again, I'm thinking this is way too much for only 6 people.

Thoughts?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 09:50:50 PM »
For the loaf of sandwiches, I know one layer was salmon salad and one layer was ham salad and I'm not sure what the other layer was.  Maybe egg salad?

The idea was that you would use a knife and fork and eat each layer kind of on its own.

I think any kind of finely chopped salad type filling would be fine in any kind of combination you like.  I'm not a fan of salmon so I'd probably do chicken, ham and egg.

Don't completely discount the bruschetta.  It is an easy one to do ahead and cook as you need it.  I make up the filling and refrigerate it as much as a day ahead.  You don't want to make it too far ahead or the garlic gets bitter.  Then I cut the baguette into rounds and pop them in ziplocs until I'm ready to toast the bread and add the bruschetta mixture and sprinkle of parmesan.

My only question is when and where do I show up?   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Oh Joy

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 02:15:24 AM »
... My Mom would make up three separate fillings, get square uncut loaves of bread.  Then she'd slice them lengthwise, spread the fillings in layers and put the loaf back together then ice the whole thing in cream cheese.  Then, when you sliced it, you'd have these pretty layers with different colours of the different fillings.

... Mom made a fruit dip that was whipped cream with no sugar added and some orange juice concentrate.  It was really good.  I can dig up the recipe, if you want it.

The sandwich might be a 'know your audience' kind of dish.  I've only seen it once, at a baby shower many years ago.  There were two camps of guests: the host family who devoured it, and the rest of the guests who smiled politely and took the smallest serving possible.

That fruit dip sounds fantastic!

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 06:15:06 AM »
I'll look up my mushroom recipes and post them later.