Author Topic: Girls Only . . . what would you serve for an afternoon get-together? UPDATE#37  (Read 6115 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Girls Only . . . what would you serve for an afternoon get-together?
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 09:30:51 AM »
I'll try to remember to post the fruit dip recipe later tonight when I get home. I hope I put it in the cookbook of my Mom's recipes that I put together after she died.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Figgie

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 12:07:01 PM »
Any type of pinwheel sandwiches can look very festive and have different fillings.  I pick up the different colored tortillas and then fill them with a variety of fillings, cut them up, set them on a tray cut side up and cover with plastic wrap.  You can even make pretty spiral patterns with the different colors if you want.  :)

NyaChan

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 01:47:31 PM »
Sounds yummy!

My mom does layers of cream cheese, cucumber, and then this green coriander chutney.  A good mix of cool and spicy.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 02:29:04 PM »
You might also google afternoon tea menus. This site has menu suggestions and recipes. http://whatscookingamerica.net/Menu/HighTea.htm

I've also looked at what the fancy hotels and tearooms serve- not everything is complicated. For example, the London Ritz serves tiny egg salad sandwiches, they just dress them up a bit.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

angilamae

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 03:58:08 PM »
If you are on Pinterest they have some good ideas.  That is where I go when I want something new.  Try looking for afternoon garden party or something.

I am having girls night this weekend and while its in the evening it isnt a dinner.  We are doing the meditaranian thing someone suggested.

My sister threw an outdoor bridal party and had these kabobs with pastas on them and a pesto sauce to dip them in.  They were cute and yummy.  I do think heavier food might be good with the alcohol too.
I can resist everything except temptation-Oscar Wilde

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 10:23:42 PM »
I've used this recipe when I broil stuffed mushrooms.

http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/stuffed-portobello-mushrooms-10000001031689/

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 01:54:48 PM »
This isn't the most specific advice, but I like a balance of proteins and carbs. If I have a plate of vegetables, fruit, bread with dips and desserts I feel queasy by the end.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
UPDATE: Luncheon was a huge success. ;D

Since I found out that it would be more of a lunch type of deal rather than an afternoon tea thing, I listened to those posters that suggested a heavier type of menu. Thanks for that advice!

I decided to serve the meal tappas style, a little bit at a time with many courses instead of serving everything all at once.

I did set up a nice table with a centerpiece and table cloth, but I used pretty paper plates because I figured this would be easier to provide fresh plates between courses.

First course, when guests arrived was cheese and crackers along with a fruit tray, all set on the table.

About 45 minutes later, after everybody was settled, drinks were served, I brought out stuffed clams (frozen/store-bought ::), but they were really good!) and bruchetta.

An hour later, I brought out artichoke-stuffed mushrooms and a small plate of crudités with ranch dressing.

Then, maybe 45 minutes later, I served broiled steak skewers (with peppers/onions/mushroom) and a cucumber salad.

Yes, there was a lot of food, but serving it in courses? I think was the way to go and my guests seemed to be very pleased.

Thanks to everybody for your menu/recipe/ideas and suggestions. :D

MOM21SON

That sounds lovely!

Now I am going to heat up the stuffed clams that are in my freezer!

NyaChan

That sounds so good!  I bet your guests loved it :)  I've never tried serving things in courses before because my house set up didn't use to allow for it, but I really want to try that someday. 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
It was really easy, too. ;D

Everything was prepared ahead of time and whenever I went in to refresh a drink, I just popped something else in the oven or pulled something else from the fridge.

StillandSilent

Deleted because I'm in the wrong thread
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:40:37 PM by StillandSilent »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
It was really easy, too. ;D

Everything was prepared ahead of time and whenever I went in to refresh a drink, I just popped something else in the oven or pulled something else from the fridge.

I love the way you sequenced the meal! There was time for everyone to enjoy each course and have conversation before the next course was served. 

It sounds like a wonderful way to entertain.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
That sounds fabulous. I love those long, snacking sort of meals. It's almost like a performance with all the different courses and it lets you savour each different taste.