Author Topic: Honda Pilot or Mazda CX-9?  (Read 447 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Honda Pilot or Mazda CX-9?
« on: June 08, 2013, 09:44:36 PM »
DH is in the market for a new family vehicle and he's narrowed it down to the Pilot or the CX-9. He's having a hard time choosing so I offered to ask eHell, hoping I'd get a nice sampling of opinions. If anyone has an opinion, good or bad, about one or the other I'd love to hear it! Specifically, do you feel it's been reliable and how do your passengers feel about the 3rd row legroom?
Thank you!!

delabela

Re: Honda Pilot or Mazda CX-9?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 09:58:59 PM »
Well, forgive me if this is too tangental, but I have a different model Mazda and I have found it to be a very enjoyable and reliable car.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 11:50:52 PM »
Mini Clubman!

Sorry, I 'm a wee bit obsessed with Minis.  :D

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 12:00:03 AM »
Mini Clubman!

Sorry, I 'm a wee bit obsessed with Minis.  :D

Can I fit three kids in the back - one teen, one the size of a teen, and one little but growing every day?  :P

DH wants a Fiat 500 Abarth, but again, kids. I told him maybe he can get himself one in 10 years as a combo empty nest/retirement gift. lol

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 12:27:26 AM »
I haven't driven either vehicle but I would recommend looking into the cost of parts and service.  Honda parts are very expensive and some of the after market parts don't fit on them.  Mazda doesn't have the same issue, AFAIK.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 04:16:17 AM »
My wife splurged a coupe years ago and bought a Mazda 3.  We have both been pleased with it.

Indigosails

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 07:06:39 AM »
I have a 2002 Honda Pilot. Still going strong. I don't know about the after market parts that Outdoor girl posted because other than routine maintenance, the Pilot has not needed parts. Be sure to try out the 3rd row seat in each vehicle. I have it in my Honda, but seldom use it.

Redsoil

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 09:08:48 AM »
Not sure about specific vehicles in the US, but we've had two Hondas (both 4WD for farm stuff) and they've been brilliant.  Nice handling, reliable, good suspension, reasonable fuel economy, comfortable seats, no mechanical issues at all.  The HR-V Sport was still going strong when sold at 191,000 kms, and we currently have the CR-V with around 130,000 kms on it.   Oh, and I've used both vehicles for cattle mustering (some very rough handling) so they stand up to some pretty full-on driving!

(My personal vehicle is a Holden ute, which is a bit of a show-pony.  Definitely not the sort of ute one uses in rough paddocks, which is why the specific farm-vehicles.)
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 11:16:37 AM »
I have a 2002 Honda Pilot. Still going strong. I don't know about the after market parts that Outdoor girl posted because other than routine maintenance, the Pilot has not needed parts. Be sure to try out the 3rd row seat in each vehicle. I have it in my Honda, but seldom use it.

Even the price of routine maintenance parts is a lot higher, at least here in Canada.  A coworker drives Honda and replacement brake parts are almost twice as much as after market parts (or domestic).  And he gets a discount!

So I'm just suggesting that the OP check it out and see if it is the same in her area.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 11:53:06 AM »
I have to agree that while the Honda is a very reliable vehicle, when they need parts or break down, they are VERY expensive to repair.  When I was looking at Crossovers last year, I test drove the CRX and Pilot... both very nice vehicles, but also FAR more expensive than other cars in the same class.  When comparing Apples to Apples, I could not see the significantly higher cost as justified.  The same with the Hyndai Santa Fe.  It is a FAB car, but they offered no rebates, no discounts nothing and it was significantly more expensive than the Ford Escape we wound up buying... and are very happy with.

Also, keep in mind the third rows, if you are using them, there is VERY little room and if you are on vacation, it takes away significantly from storage in the very back.  Another thing to consider in the case of a rear hitting accident, there isn't much buffer for those in the third row. 

JenJay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 01:08:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far. I asked DH to check into the maintenance & repair costs. He wants to lease it first and possibly buy it when the lease is up, so we will absolutely have to keep on top of all scheduled oil changes, inspections, routine maintenance, etc. A significant cost increase is worth a good hard look!

When DH has gone to look at the trucks he's taken our tallest child along and had him give a review of the 3rd row. According to DS the Chevy Traverse had the most comfy 3rd row but we've owned 2 Chevys before and they both ended up with major transmission issues (and we have a Malibu LTZ now which we love BUT, we've only had it 3 years and something is up with the front end already!) so DH is leery to buy another one. DS said the Jeep and Ford 3rd rows were too cramped, so those are out. Apparently the Mazda and Honda are about the same and both have an adjustable 2nd row, so that's a plus. Another plus to the Honda is that it technically has 3 seats (and seatbelts!) in the 3rd row so each kiddo could bring a friend along when we go fun places. Granted, somebody will probably have to have an extra small butt, but it can be done.