Author Topic: Need to buy a car in the next week.#20, #25, #39, #41, #46, FINAL #59. New? #63  (Read 5048 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Everything Slarti said! That final number is called the "out the door" price and includes taxes, dealership fees & DMV fees. Make them break that down. The dealership "processing fee" can vary, I've seen it range from $200-$500. Google "car dealership fees" for a few articles that explain which ones you can expect to pay, haggle or straight up refuse.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Everything Slarti said! That final number is called the "out the door" price and includes taxes, dealership fees & DMV fees. Make them break that down. The dealership "processing fee" can vary, I've seen it range from $200-$500. Google "car dealership fees" for a few articles that explain which ones you can expect to pay, haggle or straight up refuse.

And not to burst your bubble, but you might not get that much off. Accords are in high demand, and hold their value well, so a lot of times, dealers arent willing to negotiate as much as they would on other cars. Toyotas too; I just bought a 3 year Camry, and got a fantastic deal. I'm still not sure why it was priced so low, esp since it had very low miles, but I got lucky.

Also, if you're going to finance, NEVER mention how much you're willing to pay per month. Focus on the out the door price, rather than the monthly payment, as that can lead to stuff being added on, etc you might not want or need.

Kiara

• My dragons!
Also helpful is going to the DMV website and knowing how much registration/title cost.  I had a dealer try to tack on an extra $100 when I bought my last car.  Backed down real quick when I asked why it cost more than going to the DMV directly.

Now, I did one thing different...I flat out said I was paying cash.  Because then all we focused on was the final price, not payments. 

anniehawks

Go through the car with a fine tooth comb.  If the carpet is loose around the edge in the trunk, ask them to take something off for that.  Are there marks around the ignition where someone has scratched it while inserting the key?  Ask them to take some more off the price.  It may not be much, say $25-50 per item, but it adds up.  You might be able to get a couple of hundred dollars off the price.  This is especially important if you're financing.  That will be less you have to pay interest on.  If you find a number of these small things, you might say to the salesperson something about your concerns over the general condition of a car with so many little problems, and what big problems might not be as visible.     

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
A really good resource for figuring out your car purchase is www.carbuyingtips.com.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
If they write up a car you are putting a down payment on, but they are keeping the car to do some work - verify the VIN number. My sister and Brother in law test drove 1 car - but the sales person wrote up a car that was the same model but different extras. Then tried to gas light them into thinking that they had driven the other car. (Sis and BIL look a lot younger than they are. I think the sales person thought they had 2 frazzled 20 something young parents they could bully.)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Make sure the car you're trying to buy isn't a Hurricane Sandy car.  They're showing up now here on the west coast...

bopper

• Super Hero!
I agree with Consumer Reports....you can go to your local library and borrow the April 2013 issue (the car issue).
Also check out edwards.com for info on pricing.

Kiara

• My dragons!
Also, this won't apply to the OP, but it can be worth asking if upping the trade-in is possible.  My last car, the dealer was wonderful, got down as low as they could, but it was still a little more than I wanted to pay, and they couldn't remove the dealer fee.  I told them that flat out, they asked if I had a trade-in, I said yes.  They said bring it in and maybe they could make it work that way.

I brought it in....and got double the blue book value.  On a car with a busted front control arm.  (Hence why I needed a new car.)  Which sealed the deal in 30 seconds. 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Need to buy a (used) car in the next week. Minor Update #20, #25, #39
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2013, 03:09:51 PM »
Thanks all for your replies. I just wanted to keep you up-to-date . . .

Slartibartfast -- That was an excellent list that you posted, I really do appreciate it.

I have decided that I'm going to go through a dealership instead of private party. Yes private party is cheaper, and I have called many (through Craigs List and word-of-mouth.) I was very surprised as to how hedgy these people were when I asked specific questions, like "How many miles are on the tires?" "How new are the brakes?" "When was the last oil change" "Do you have maintenance records?"

Not one of them were willing to let me take the car to my mechanic for inspection.

All of these cars were either close to or way over 100K miles, but they were in the price range of what I'm receiving for my totaled car. :-\

I called a car dealership that had, what I thought was perfect (web-site viewing) and the owner told me about the car then said "But you really don't want this car." Then he proceeded to talk to me about other cars he had available for more than 10K over what I was looking at. Whenever I tried to steer him back to the car I saw on his web-site . . . he just put me off.

I talked to CarMax, and while they seem reputable and back their cars, they don't have anything for under 10K. However their cars have lower mileage and are newer. I might just bite the bullet and go with paying more.

I have another dealership that I need to call tomorrow. They have 3 cars that are a little bit higher than my price range, but lower than CarMax. I'll get out to look at them on Tuesday . . . keeping my fingers crossed.

Oy! What a hassle. Sigh.

I really appreciate everybody's help and input. I'd be going up a creek without a paddle if it weren't for you.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Need to buy a (used) car in the next week. Minor Update #20, #25, #39
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2013, 08:54:27 PM »
Thanks all for your replies. I just wanted to keep you up-to-date . . .

Slartibartfast -- That was an excellent list that you posted, I really do appreciate it.

I have decided that I'm going to go through a dealership instead of private party. Yes private party is cheaper, and I have called many (through Craigs List and word-of-mouth.) I was very surprised as to how hedgy these people were when I asked specific questions, like "How many miles are on the tires?" "How new are the brakes?" "When was the last oil change" "Do you have maintenance records?"

Not one of them were willing to let me take the car to my mechanic for inspection.

All of these cars were either close to or way over 100K miles, but they were in the price range of what I'm receiving for my totaled car. :-\

I called a car dealership that had, what I thought was perfect (web-site viewing) and the owner told me about the car then said "But you really don't want this car." Then he proceeded to talk to me about other cars he had available for more than 10K over what I was looking at. Whenever I tried to steer him back to the car I saw on his web-site . . . he just put me off.

I talked to CarMax, and while they seem reputable and back their cars, they don't have anything for under 10K. However their cars have lower mileage and are newer. I might just bite the bullet and go with paying more.

I have another dealership that I need to call tomorrow. They have 3 cars that are a little bit higher than my price range, but lower than CarMax. I'll get out to look at them on Tuesday . . . keeping my fingers crossed.

Oy! What a hassle. Sigh.

I really appreciate everybody's help and input. I'd be going up a creek without a paddle if it weren't for you.

You're probably better off going through a dealership. if something does turn up later on, you probably have more recourse than if you bought from someone privately. And the hedgy-ness of the private parties would have me concerned too, and the unwillingness to let your mechanic look at it. I actually sold my old car to another customer of my mechanic, but, with the understanding it was "as is" and for under book value, which was fine by me. I got some $$ to put back into my savings, and he got a better car than the one he brought into the mechanic initially to have checked over!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Need to buy a (used) car in the next week. #20, #25, #39, UGH! #41
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2013, 07:51:03 PM »

UGH! Maybe I'm just getting overly aggravated with this whole situation, but when I called this place today . . . it started out to be a pleasant conversation. I asked specific questions about the cars, he was able to answer give specific answers. I asked about taking the cars to my mechanic, he said that would be fine, so long as the mechanic was local (and he said that there are several in the area that he could recommend. :-\)

Then he said "You know, Honey, if you could wait until Thursday, I'll be getting in a shipment of 5 new Hondas and I'll be able to put you into a real sweet deal.

I continued the conversation* (asked about the blue book value for a certain car) and he replied "Honey, bring in the paperwork. I certainly will work with you on their price."

UGH! Do I really, seriously, honestly? want to go to this car dealership where the salesman calls me "Honey?" :o

Am I making too much of this?

So now, I'm thinking of calling back this guy:

He left a message on my machine and asked me to call him back if I was still interested in the specific car I called about. He said that he'd be willing to work with me . . .

*Granted, my first name does begin with an "H" but it sound nothing like Honey, and he did call me by my correct name several times.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2013, 08:17:46 PM »
I don't like it when people I don't know call me things like Honey and sweetheart.  It tends to get my back up even if there is no harm meant.    It's your money, so you should give it to whomever you feel comfortable with.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2013, 09:33:19 PM »
Gah.  Calling you Honey was a way for him to assert power over you.  It demeans you and makes you childlike to him.  I wouldn't let him sell me a car if he was the last salesman on earth.  If there's a car you want at that dealership, definitely ask to work with someone else.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2013, 09:38:12 PM »
How much is not being called "Honey" worth to you - potentially several hundred (or more) dollars, if you are forced to go with the next cheapest dealership?

If it were me, I'd call him on it the next time he said it: "Hey, my name is not 'Honey.'  Call me that again and I'll go to a different dealership."  And then follow through.  I suspect he would become much more respectful (and easier to deal with) after that!