Author Topic: S/o What constitutes sick? - Question of Priorities  (Read 7618 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: S/o What constitutes sick? - Question of Priorities
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2013, 12:37:47 PM »
to actually interact with DS and help him develop.

I once worked at a parenting magazine. I interviewed a child-development researcher who said this:

"It's very important to provide your child with enough intellectual stimulation and varied experiences in terms of sight and sound to help their brain develop. Fortunately, it's actually very easy to do this. There's really only one rule to follow:  Don't lock him in a closet."

Swear to God, that's what he said: "Don't lock in him a closet."

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2013, 05:59:06 AM »
I was a nanny for 7 years...a qualified, highly paid (for the industry) one.  I don't you need to be concerned about her unless there are other things that are happening too.  If your children are happy to be cared by her IMO that's the best test of how she is with them.

It is a good idea for her to watch you children play without her directing play.  I also agree with some of the other comments about her choice of words I'm betting she was watching them play at the same time as posting on FB.

Please no nanny cam.  I think they are a gross invasion of privacy and if I had worked in a home that had one I would have resigned immediately.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2013, 06:11:58 PM »

I once worked at a parenting magazine. I interviewed a child-development researcher who said this:

"It's very important to provide your child with enough intellectual stimulation and varied experiences in terms of sight and sound to help their brain develop. Fortunately, it's actually very easy to do this. There's really only one rule to follow:  Don't lock him in a closet."

I really like my daughters day care. Want to guess what the most popular toy at the daycare is? Rocks. Piles of small rocks. Yeah there are books and toys and dress up and Lego and drawing and crafts and painting and stories but when I pick her up outside she and her friends are almost always playing with piles of rocks. They become popcorn by dumping them into a milk crate, birthday cakes with twigs as candles, castle, money, dinner, jewels, fossils etc.

I think the closet thing is pretty darn accurate. If kids have something they can sort and move they can play almost anything.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2013, 06:18:54 PM »

I love this so much. I've been having a frustrating few days and this just keeps making me smile. I don't even have or want kids, but that is just so ... i don't know ... there is something in there that is so happy.

I doubt i am making sense :)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2013, 06:42:46 PM »
No, I think you make sense. That phrase always makes me a bit giddy when I think of it. I always have the urge to have this little bubble of laughter pop out.

amylouky

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2013, 11:14:09 AM »
No, I think you make sense. That phrase always makes me a bit giddy when I think of it. I always have the urge to have this little bubble of laughter pop out.

I love it, too. I have 4 and 5 year old boys, and am always worried that I'm not giving them enough stimulation and learning experiences. I then have to remind myself that they have a tendency to find their own "learning experiences"   ??? so yeah.. I guess I'll add "as long as I don't lock them in a closet".  ;D