Author Topic: Dvorak on the plane  (Read 12750 times)

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
Dvorak on the plane
« on: June 10, 2013, 02:20:26 PM »
The other day, my husband showed me this YouTube clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRPc6S3sh2g

Basically, the story is that a plane was delayed on the tarmac in Beijing for something like 3-4 hours. On board were members of the Philadelphia Orchestra, some of whom (when it became clear that this delay was going to be loooooong) pulled out their instruments and played selections of Dvorak for the rest of the passengers. Most of the people on the plane seem delighted by this, and my husband and I both agreed that this was really awesome, and we would love it if something like this happened to us. I told one of my friends about it though, and her response was "Well sure it's great- unless you don't like Dvorak!"

She was joking, but it did kind of get me idly wondering- the orchestra members were obviously trying to do something nice, but could it possibly be construed as rude to just start playing for a completely captive audience like that? A plane isn't a big space, obviously, and if you didn't like the music or had a headache or something, you really couldn't get away. Personally, I really like classical music, so I would have been delighted by a free Dvorak concert, but if it had been, say, a heavy metal band (I *hate* heavy metal), I would have appreciated that they meant to be nice, but would secretly have been thinking "Oh Lord, please stop, you are making this delay that much more unbearable."

So what do you think? I personally don't think what they did was rude, but could it be seen that way? How would you feel if this happened to you?
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Dvorak on the plane
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 02:27:25 PM »
Wow would I be annoyed! I watched that whole 1.5 minute clip just to be able to give honest feedback, but I have to say by abut 30 seconds in I was thinking "what an absolutely awful sound!" and by 1 minute it was truly unpleasant and uncomfortable sounding. I personally find it hard to conceive how people enjoy that sound. I can appreciate the talent it takes to play the instruments but I really, really, really did not like that music. I also imagine it was very loud in the enclosed space of an airplane.

I would be ok with it for say 5 minutes because hey, i realize its not all about me, but for longer then that I would be very tempted to yell at them to be quiet and leave people in peace.

Indigosails

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 02:34:31 PM »
I probably would have pulled out my earplugs and used them. I agree with WillNilly, I appreciated the talent, but not the music. 3 to 4 hours waiting on the tarmac is stressful enough without having to be a captive audience.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 02:36:35 PM »
I think this is a lovely way to help passengers pass the very long wait. 

WillyNilly, I couldn't tell if you were being serious or not.  Have you truly never heard a string orchestra before?  I am trying to understand how you could hear an "absolutely awful sound" in that.

I hope one would not yell at them (especially not an ehellion), but would instead ask a stewardess to have them put the instruments away. 

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 02:37:44 PM »
I agree with Knitterly. I'd be pleased as punch to get a free show!
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Allyson

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 02:40:59 PM »
I wouldn't mind. If it was a type of music I didn't like, I'd ask the airplane for headphones (all airplanes I've been on have music you can listen to so if I didn't have my ipod with me I'd still be able to pick what music I wanted to hear to some extent!)

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 02:41:16 PM »
I would have loved this and been thrilled to see it close up. That being said, if you didn't like the music, you certainly would have been trapped in close quarters with it. I think too it would depend how long they were playing for.  20-30 minutes ok, the whole 3-4 hours, not so much.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 02:42:10 PM »
I think this is a lovely way to help passengers pass the very long wait. 

WillyNilly, I couldn't tell if you were being serious or not.  Have you truly never heard a string orchestra before?  I am trying to understand how you could hear an "absolutely awful sound" in that.

I hope one would not yell at them (especially not an ehellion), but would instead ask a stewardess to have them put the instruments away.

Yes I was serious and yes I have heard string orchestras before, amazing ones. Heck I saw John Williams leading the London Symphony Orchestra perform the soundtrack of Star Wars, and twice annually for the last 7 years I have attended a local oratorio group that is accompanied by a full orchestra and performs mainly classical pieces. And yet I think the high pitched screechiness of that piece was absolutely awful and uncomfortable, it was almost painful to listen to. I'm not a huge fan of classical music or orchestra music to begin with, and I have to say that clip was one of the worst sounding examples of the genre.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 02:51:33 PM »
I'd have enjoyed it for about 10 minutes.  Then I'd want peace and quiet.

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 02:54:49 PM »
Inside an airplane I wouldn't find it pleasant. You are not able to get away from the noise and that is not what I prefer when on a plane.

Inside a terminal when waiting for a delayed flight? I would have thought it was great probably even if the music wasn't quite to my taste.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 02:55:08 PM »
The woman at the beginning stated that they were going to play the final movement of Dvorak's American quartet, which is about 6 minutes long.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 03:03:37 PM »
Even without great acoustics on an airplane, this would be fun and a good memory!  They probably didn't play for the entire three hours; just that selection.

(I wonder why they couldn't get off the plane and wait in the terminal.  On our way home from China, the plane landed in Shanghai and everyone in the giant jet had to disembark just to get in a huge line to show our passports.  Why that couldn't be done in the plane, I don't know).

magicdomino

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 03:04:50 PM »
Maybe not the whole 3-4 hours, but I would enjoy an impromptu 10 minute concert just to break up the monotony.  I'm not a classical music fan, but I also don't travel well.  ("Why are we just sitting here?  I'm bored.  Bored, bored, bored.  Don't wanna read my book.  This puzzle's stupid.  My butt hurts.  Aren't we leaving yet?  Ooooo, what are they going to do with those instruments?")

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 03:05:08 PM »
To be fair to the musicians, I believe that the screechiness of the instruments is probably due mostly to the recording device, and a little due to the acoustics inside the plane.

Personally, I love Dvorak, but I know that there are classical music fans who do not care for him.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 03:40:50 PM »
To be fair to the musicians, I believe that the screechiness of the instruments is probably due mostly to the recording device, and a little due to the acoustics inside the plane.

Personally, I love Dvorak, but I know that there are classical music fans who do not care for him.

It could be a fun memory.  it could also be Holy Hell. 

The idea was a nice one but logistics could be a problem.  Space in a plane is tight and the acoustics for a string concert aren't the best. 

Although I like live music, this may not have been the optimal time and place for it.