Author Topic: Dvorak on the plane  (Read 13043 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Dvorak on the plane
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2013, 03:55:51 PM »
would someone who objected to it really speak up at the time

Maybe.  Maybe not.  But if you choose to keep quiet when you had the chance to say, "Excuse me, but I suffer from migraines/autism/whatever ailment, and the concert is going to exacerbate it," it's not someone else's fault.  At some point, you really do have to stand up for your own health and say something.  You're the only one who can.

Oh Joy

« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
While I completely respect the range of opinions and experiences on this topic, I must admit that I'm a bit disheartened by the responses.

There's a reason for the expression, 'no good deed goes unpunished.'

Curious Cat

« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2013, 03:59:34 PM »
Playing devil's advocate (I actually wouldn't mind the concert on the plane), would someone who objected to it really speak up at the time?  I can see it being one of the situations where the majority didn't seem to mind, the musicians already started to set up, etc., so the minority who did mind just kept quiet and hoped that it wouldn't go on for very long.

This seems very possible - I enjoy classical music but I wouldn't enjoy this impromptu concert.  However I understand the spirit in which it was intended and probably wouldn't have said anything.

perpetua

« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2013, 04:00:48 PM »
While I completely respect the range of opinions and experiences on this topic, I must admit that I'm a bit disheartened by the responses.

I agree. Not only do I find it sad and disheartening that many people are apparently unable to appreciate one of those little things that make the world go round, but would actively try to stop others from doing so. It smacks of "If I don't enjoy it, neither must anyone else"

snowdragon

« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2013, 04:06:29 PM »

I agree. Not only do I find it sad and disheartening that many people are apparently unable to appreciate one of those little things that make the world go round, but would actively try to stop others from doing so. It smacks of "If I don't enjoy it, neither must anyone else"

thirded.

cwm

« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2013, 04:07:03 PM »

thirded.

Put me firmly in this camp as well.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2013, 04:09:34 PM »
I think you quoted me by mistake. I never said they were rude. In fact, I've said repeatedly that they were not rude - even in the post you quoted here  :)

Oh, yes, I did!  I am so sorry!

No worries :) I just got confused :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Curious Cat

« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2013, 04:12:12 PM »

Conversely you could say that some of the posts in this thread smack of "If I enjoy it you must as well."  Just saying, that's a double edged sword of a statement.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2013, 04:13:17 PM »

I don't think that's what people are saying though. At least, it's certainly not what I'm saying (moot point, as I love classical music and am too spineless to say anything even if I didn't, but anyway...) What I'm hearing some of us saying is that it's a kind thought, but the performers need to realize it might not be to everybody's taste - and could even be harmful to some - and keep it an appropriate length because of that.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2013, 04:18:50 PM »

thirded.

Put me firmly in this camp as well.

I agree as well.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2013, 04:21:27 PM »

I don't think that's what people are saying though. At least, it's certainly not what I'm saying (moot point, as I love classical music and am too spineless to say anything even if I didn't, but anyway...) What I'm hearing some of us saying is that it's a kind thought, but the performers need to realize it might not be to everybody's taste - and could even be harmful to some - and keep it an appropriate length because of that.

Posters in this thread have been calling the performers rude, even though they were clearly invited and no one objected. (And most people in the video are clearly enjoying it).

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »
I find it kind of disheartening that some people seem to expect it to ne viewed as a good deed eben if it triggers a migraine or some other reaction. The expectation that people should be appreciative of a painful assault is mind boggling.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2013, 04:23:10 PM »
Here's another example.  I was on the train in December and looking forward to a pretty quiet 3-hour train ride, had my laptop with me, was going to get a bunch of work done.

At the first stop 45 minutes from my city, a HUGE group of kids got on...with Santa Claus!  They all entered the train and started singing Christmas carols.  Santa was jingling his bells and the other kids who were already on the train were incredibly excited.  This lasted for about 30 minutes until the next stop, when Santa and the kids got off at the next town.  Mrs. Claus and another group of kids were waiting for them.

I have no idea what it was all about.  I lost those 30 minutes of work during the Christmas carols and general pandemonium, but goodness those kids were excited and had so much fun.  I could have complained.  Instead I joined in and sang carols, and it's a great memory.  And I don't even really like kids.

Sometimes it's worth it just to go with the flow in an unusual situation and realize that the power of everyone else having a special moment outweighs your own preferences.  (Medical conditions are different, of course.)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2013, 04:25:03 PM »

Me too. I'm not very up on my classical music and would never be able to identify it as Dvorak, but it would be something to break up the monotony and that was meant as a kindness.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2013, 04:27:15 PM »

Posters in this thread have been calling the performers rude, even though they were clearly invited and no one objected. (And most people in the video are clearly enjoying it).

You aren't the first person to say this (the bolded). I watched and re-watched the video and first off you can not see the majority of the people on the flight and second of the ones we can see only one is smiling, and several don't clap. Now not smiling and not clapping doesn't mean they aren't enjoying it but it certainly also does not convey "clearly enjoying it."