Author Topic: Dvorak on the plane  (Read 12829 times)

Fleur

Re: Dvorak on the plane
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2013, 04:30:02 PM »
Here's another example.  I was on the train in December and looking forward to a pretty quiet 3-hour train ride, had my laptop with me, was going to get a bunch of work done.

At the first stop 45 minutes from my city, a HUGE group of kids got on...with Santa Claus!  They all entered the train and started singing Christmas carols.  Santa was jingling his bells and the other kids who were already on the train were incredibly excited.  This lasted for about 30 minutes until the next stop, when Santa and the kids got off at the next town.  Mrs. Claus and another group of kids were waiting for them.

I have no idea what it was all about.  I lost those 30 minutes of work during the Christmas carols and general pandemonium, but goodness those kids were excited and had so much fun.  I could have complained.  Instead I joined in and sang carols, and it's a great memory.  And I don't even really like kids.

Sometimes it's worth it just to go with the flow in an unusual situation and realize that the power of everyone else having a special moment outweighs your own preferences.  (Medical conditions are different, of course.)

This is a lovely story! I also would have joined in, although I don't like kids and can't really sing either ;D

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2013, 04:30:31 PM »
eben if it triggers a migraine or some other reaction. The expectation that people should be appreciative of a painful assault is mind boggling.

Several people have addressed this issue several times now.  I'm not clear on why it's still coming up.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2013, 04:32:18 PM »
Here's another example.  I was on the train in December and looking forward to a pretty quiet 3-hour train ride, had my laptop with me, was going to get a bunch of work done.

At the first stop 45 minutes from my city, a HUGE group of kids got on...with Santa Claus!  They all entered the train and started singing Christmas carols.  Santa was jingling his bells and the other kids who were already on the train were incredibly excited.  This lasted for about 30 minutes until the next stop, when Santa and the kids got off at the next town.  Mrs. Claus and another group of kids were waiting for them.

I have no idea what it was all about.  I lost those 30 minutes of work during the Christmas carols and general pandemonium, but goodness those kids were excited and had so much fun.  I could have complained.  Instead I joined in and sang carols, and it's a great memory.  And I don't even really like kids.

Sometimes it's worth it just to go with the flow in an unusual situation and realize that the power of everyone else having a special moment outweighs your own preferences.  (Medical conditions are different, of course.)

This is a lovely story! I also would have joined in, although I don't like kids and can't really sing either ;D

I would have joined in, too!  How cute!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2013, 04:35:29 PM »
Dotty, it keeps coming up because others keep lamenting the fact that there was not universal appreciation and thanks.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2013, 04:39:05 PM »
Dotty, it keeps coming up because others keep lamenting the fact that there was not universal appreciation and thanks.

If the migraine-prone didn't speak up before it started and protect themselves, the only choice they have is either universal appreciation and thanks or just silence.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2013, 04:42:32 PM »
Honestly, if I had a medical issue that required silence (or, at the very least, no music's being played), I'd be speaking up even if the orchestra hadn't asked for permission (which we haven't ruled out, to begin with).  There was plenty of time before they actually started playing to say something.  If I were too embarrassed or nervous to call attention to myself by saying something to the group at large, I would have confided in one of the flight attendants who could have addressed it anonymously.

But, I sure wouldn't sit there suffering if I had the chance to say something.  If I did, it's my own fault.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2013, 04:45:45 PM »

I don't think anyone is bemoaning a lack of universal appreciation. Just that a group of professional musicians trying to do a nice thing are being called rude bores who were callously inflicted pain on a captive audience.

Curious Cat

« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2013, 04:47:03 PM »

I don't think anyone is bemoaning a lack of universal appreciation. Just that a group of professional musicians trying to do a nice thing are being called rude bores who were callously inflicted pain on a captive audience.

So people aren't allowed to have that as an opinion? Is anyone posting here in contact with the musicians? If not then it is very unlikely that they will ever know that some random internet people thought they were rude.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2013, 04:47:31 PM »

If the migraine-prone didn't speak up before it started and protect themselves, the only choice they have is either universal appreciation and thanks or just silence.

And some posters are saying everyone shoyld have just been thankful. I disagree. I disagree that they needed to be put in the position of actually saying "I'd prefer not to be for,ed to listen to rhat music in an enclosed space that I can't leave".

What if this was a sermon or a lecture? Even if it seemed like a lot of people would find it comforting, would we encourage it on the plane if it might make somebody uncomfortable?

exitzero

« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2013, 04:49:38 PM »
Hearing about this story restored my faith in mankind for a bit.

How lovely that those talented people would share their talent in the hopes of making people a little happier.

Honestly, people would complain if they were handing out $100 bills. (The HORROR! Do you know how dirty those bills are!).

cwm

« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2013, 04:51:49 PM »

And some posters are saying everyone shoyld have just been thankful. I disagree. I disagree that they needed to be put in the position of actually saying "I'd prefer not to be for,ed to listen to rhat music in an enclosed space that I can't leave".

What if this was a sermon or a lecture? Even if it seemed like a lot of people would find it comforting, would we encourage it on the plane if it might make somebody uncomfortable?

In my opinion, the difference between a lecture or sermon and music is intent. Instruction, religious or otherwise, is the whole intent of a sermon/lecture. People don't generally go to sermons or lectures for entertainment, which is what music is generally treated as.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2013, 04:56:55 PM »
And some posters are saying everyone shoyld have just been thankful.

I'm not.  You don't have to be thankful.  But I also don't think they were rude for doing it.

actually saying "I'd prefer not to be for,ed to listen to rhat music in an enclosed space that I can't leave".

Unfortunately, you're the only one who can.  Someone else can't do it for you.

If they asked ahead of time and no one spoke up, it might be arguable that you were given the chance and didn't take it.  However, I agree with cwm that a sermon/lecture isn't really a good comparison, so it's more of a red herring to me.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2013, 05:40:52 PM »
While I completely respect the range of opinions and experiences on this topic, I must admit that I'm a bit disheartened by the responses.

There's a reason for the expression, 'no good deed goes unpunished.'

I agree. Not only do I find it sad and disheartening that many people are apparently unable to appreciate one of those little things that make the world go round, but would actively try to stop others from doing so. It smacks of "If I don't enjoy it, neither must anyone else"

I don't see how "Please don't play on a plane. It gives me headaches / stresses me out" translates to being selfish, ungrateful grumps who want to stomp on joy.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 05:54:33 PM by TeamBhakta »

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2013, 06:13:24 PM »
While I completely respect the range of opinions and experiences on this topic, I must admit that I'm a bit disheartened by the responses.

There's a reason for the expression, 'no good deed goes unpunished.'

I agree. Not only do I find it sad and disheartening that many people are apparently unable to appreciate one of those little things that make the world go round, but would actively try to stop others from doing so. It smacks of "If I don't enjoy it, neither must anyone else"

Yep, yep, yep.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2013, 06:19:49 PM »
I'm disheartened by the selfishness and close-mindedness of so many.

Many of the posters who said they wouldn't like it have said they would tolerate for a short while - in other words people who wouldn't like it would be willing to compromise for the sake of those who do. But it seems the majority of those who would like have no compromise in their posts - they only have disappointment and negative judgement for those who wouldn't enjoy it; people being willing to tolerate it is not enough for them, many posts give the impression the only response they would find acceptable is one of enjoyment or appreciation.