Author Topic: Dvorak on the plane  (Read 11931 times)

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
Re: Dvorak on the plane
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2013, 01:09:07 PM »
I understand other people have other conditions and may not have appreciated this, but I am the flip side. In 3 hours of playing music from my phone without charing it, it would have been dead. And without music to keep me calm, I would have been an absolute wreck. I don't like Dvorak, there are much better classical pieces/composers that I would prefer, but this music could literally have been my saving grace if I was in that situation.

That's really interesting. If we look at this from every angle, then these musicians may have been performing a service for some passengers.

That's stretching it a bit, lbr.

And by "peace & quiet", I didn't mean nobody couldn't make noise at all. I would expect a baby to cry, people to carry on conversations, etc but I wouldn't expect someone to, say, pull out their music & play it without headphones on.

Several of us in the thread have said we would be delighted by such happenings. I would definitely considerate a service. A free concert by world class musicians.

And this thread also tells us that for some, it would be equivalent to the 5th Circle of Hell. None of us were there though, unluckily for some, lucky for others.

katiescarlett

« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2013, 01:09:39 PM »
I think the people who didn't like it should probably realise that the world doesn't revolve around them and that other people were enjoying the performance. Why be a party killer at all? Why not say to yourself "It's not to my taste, but others are enjoying it" ? Why must the world be tailored for *your* preference? (you general, not you specific)

I hear what you're saying and I even mostly agree with you, but what if it's not a matter of preference but of mental or physical health? PPs have already mentioned autistic people who'd react badly to this kind of performance, or people for whom it would trigger migraines. Music has an irrational effect on some people. I may love (most) classical music, but if I had been treated (and I don't mean that sarcastically - I know they'd mean well) to a concert with Celtic singing, I'd be a sobbing, hysterical mess, curled up in a fetal position, rocking with my hands over my ears*. Usually I can just walk away and it's no big deal, but in a situation such as this I couldn't.

However, I do realize they meant well, and that other people probably enjoyed it, which is why I agree with Toots that if they kept it under 6 minutes (I'd even say 10 minutes) it's not rude. Just keep it to that.

* Unfortunately I'm not exaggerating. I don't know why Celtic singing causes such a visceral reaction in me, but it's horrible :(

They were not rude.  If this is the case, it is up to you (generic you) to speak up before they begin playing.  I am sure if someone on the plane had a good reason for not wanting them to play, they would not have.  Especially in the case of someone with a medical issue like autism or migraines.  You simply have to speak up.  They were trying to be nice and give the people on the plane a gift.  These people seemed very much to enjoy the impromptu performance.

I think you quoted me by mistake. I never said they were rude. In fact, I've said repeatedly that they were not rude - even in the post you quoted here  :)

Oh, yes, I did!  I am so sorry!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2013, 01:16:16 PM »
I understand other people have other conditions and may not have appreciated this, but I am the flip side. In 3 hours of playing music from my phone without charing it, it would have been dead. And without music to keep me calm, I would have been an absolute wreck. I don't like Dvorak, there are much better classical pieces/composers that I would prefer, but this music could literally have been my saving grace if I was in that situation.

That's really interesting. If we look at this from every angle, then these musicians may have been performing a service for some passengers.

And by "peace & quiet", I didn't mean nobody couldn't make noise at all. I would expect a baby to cry, people to carry on conversations, etc but I wouldn't expect someone to, say, pull out their music & play it without headphones on.

Several of us in the thread have said we would be delighted by such happenings. I would definitely considerate a service. A free concert by world class musicians.

And this thread also tells us that for some, it would be equivalent to the 5th Circle of Hell. None of us were there though, unluckily for some, lucky for others.

I still don't see why someone's desire for music to prevent stress on a plane trumps that of someone who needs the music not played to prevent stress.

Fleur

« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2013, 01:20:13 PM »

I still don't see why someone's desire for music to prevent stress on a plane trumps that of someone who needs the music not played to prevent stress.

Neither trumps the other, but the majority would probably prefer music to no music. I would imagine someone severly affected would speak up.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2013, 01:22:06 PM »

Especially since its really easy and quite common to play music privately via headphones. In fact in my whole life I have never been on a commercial flight that didn't have free music available for individuals - all you have to do is plug a set of earphones into your arm rest. Ok it might not be your absolute favorite selection, but its always there.

cwm

« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »

It's not a desire of music to prevent stress, it's a need, just as important as a need not to have music. I'm saying that personally I would have been hysterical in that situation, having just as much of a meltdown that someone may have been having due to the music. One need doesn't trump another, they're competing needs.

However, it didn't appear that there were people on the plane who had a meltdown due to the impromptu concert. No, I wasn't there, so I don't know firsthand, but from every single news report on it, people were thankful. Not a single negative report has come out of it.

Let us assume, however, that nobody was triggered into a meltdown because of this. No medical problems, no physical needs, just desires. Why would one person's desire not to listen to this type of music be more important than the desires of the other passengers to enjoy the moment as it happened?

Especially since its really easy and quite common to play music privately via headphones. In fact in my whole life I have never been on a commercial flight that didn't have free music available for individuals - all you have to do is plug a set of earphones into your arm rest. Ok it might not be your absolute favorite selection, but its always there.

From what I understand, when the plane is on the tarmac, nothing is turned on. There is no air, no overhead lights, there isn't any music being pumped through the systems, so you can't just plug in a set of earphones.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2013, 01:27:31 PM »

No one said anything about anyone trumping anything.

Sebastienne

« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2013, 01:29:43 PM »
Keep in mind, too, that planes aren't designed for their acoustic properties. Sounds near you can be very loud, but get a few rows away, and they'll be a lot quieter.  I sat next to a screaming baby on a recent flight; my husband ended up about 10 rows behind me and heard nothing. This is definitely true in the air, with engine noise and inner-ear adjustment happening, but even on the tarmac, sound isn't going to carry that well from the front of the plane to the back.

Depending on the size of the plane, it would be entirely possible to move away from the music if it bothered you. You might still hear it, but at a very different volume than if you were right. there. Would those objecting to these musicians object as strongly to piped-in music?

That Anime Chick

• Rumble Ball!
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2013, 01:33:38 PM »
The people I'm reading who say that it sounds awful, is screechy, please consider the source. It's raw, meaning no clean up has been done on the video being taken. It was most likely recorded via smartphone. Unless you get a professional recording done, it's not going to sound pretty and perfect.

As for the performance itself, I would have enjoyed it. I'm probably biased because I spent many years playing in string and symphony orchestras. The fact that there was an announcement overhead meant that the pilot and the crew most likely saw it as an opportunity to try and keep people entertained while they were stuck. After seeing news clips and reading articles about people being stranded on planes for close to 8 hours, I'd be happy for anything to distract me.

Regardless of the sound quality of the recording surely you understand that many people - in general and in this thread - do not like the sound of violins. They have a very particular sound which many find quite irritating. The absolute best violin for some people is still going to be a truly awful sound. The difference between classical violin music and classical guitar music is so great, its hard to describe. Classical music played on a piano is also in a class of its own. As part of an orchestra violins can be lovely, but on their own, unless played fiddle style, I think they make a rather ugly sound, some people take a step further to uncomfortable sound.

I think the big thing here for me though is the "trapped" element. This was a loud performance one could not just ignore or walk away from. People were trapped not only on the plane, but the performance spilled over into the aisle so they could not even walk up and down to keep blood flowing or use the restrooms, or get a cup of water to drink. This trapped them even further.

Now as I said earlier, a few minutes I'd tolerate it. But I would never consider it a "gift" or "a wonderful thing" or a "treat". I would consider it something I had to put up with as the price of being part of of a society full of other people. I would hope it would be kept short due to their consideration of people like me though who didn't enjoy it.

Then we shall have to agree to disagree.
http://tinyurl.com/5vuusz Thanks for helping my cute lil dragon grow up. Please help my hatchlings and egg? Please?? ^_^

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2013, 01:44:46 PM »
THEY should have asked if it was alright.   We don't know if they asked or not.  From the video, it looks like they just up and played.

THEY may have asked if it was alright.  As you just admitted yourself, you don't know that they didn't.  From the video, it looks as if we're catching the event from a point after they would have asked and gotten any feedback as to medical conditions that would keep them from doing it.  Plus, as someone else noted, people were already filming it - which means that this wasn't starting at the moment we tuned in; there was, obviously, time prior to where we arrived in the scene where the people were asked.

You don't know that they did ask, but you also don't know that they didn't.  And, if the latter is true (which is entirely possible), there was no rudeness.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2013, 01:47:50 PM »
THEY should have asked if it was alright.   We don't know if they asked or not.  From the video, it looks like they just up and played.

THEY may have asked if it was alright.  As you just admitted yourself, you don't know that they didn't.  From the video, it looks as if we're catching the event from a point after they would have asked and gotten any feedback as to medical conditions that would keep them from doing it.  Plus, as someone else noted, people were already filming it - which means that this wasn't starting at the moment we tuned in; there was, obviously, time prior to where we arrived in the scene where the people were asked.

You don't know that they did ask, but you also don't know that they didn't.  And, if the latter is true (which is entirely possible), there was no rudeness.

More telling to me is that the instruments were tuned.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2013, 01:51:52 PM »
rashea, that too!

citadelle

• fully functional & aesthetically pleasing
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2013, 03:01:21 PM »
I really think that this was one of those once-in-a-lifetime things where all circumstances converged to make it a good experience for all.

In general, unannounced entertainment on a plane would be rude. Imagine stand up comedy? Or a child's recital? Or Sheldon Cooper's Tuvan throat singing or his theramin?

However, this seems to be that one particular instance where everyone agreed and enjoyed it. That is a good thing!

Do they have statements from everyone on the plan saying they all enjoyed it? Or are you assuming that because nobody spoke out at the time?

Assuming since all the reporting has been positive and based on the visible reactions in the video.

Green Bean

« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2013, 03:18:52 PM »
I heard a clip of this on NPR yesterday. They played the flight attendant announcing the impromptu concert, as well as people assisting to hold sheet music and turn the pages. The celloist even had the cello in the aisle due to lack of space. It sounds like there was probably time for someone to object if they needed to get instruments out of cases and sheet music set up.

And the sound quality I heard didn't seen unpleasant to me, but I'm tone deaf. What do I know.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »
Playing devil's advocate (I actually wouldn't mind the concert on the plane), would someone who objected to it really speak up at the time?  I can see it being one of the situations where the majority didn't seem to mind, the musicians already started to set up, etc., so the minority who did mind just kept quiet and hoped that it wouldn't go on for very long.