Author Topic: Dvorak on the plane  (Read 12803 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Dvorak on the plane
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 04:04:57 PM »
Even if it's Holy Hell--it's only going to be that for some of the people, and it's only 6 minutes.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 04:19:18 PM »
Even without great acoustics on an airplane, this would be fun and a good memory!  They probably didn't play for the entire three hours; just that selection.

(I wonder why they couldn't get off the plane and wait in the terminal.  On our way home from China, the plane landed in Shanghai and everyone in the giant jet had to disembark just to get in a huge line to show our passports.  Why that couldn't be done in the plane, I don't know).

Depends on the airport / country. We once had to do an emergency landing in Dubai on a trip from London to Bangkok. Due to regulations (customs, probably) we weren't allowed to leave the plane for the 3 hours we were grounded. Longest 3 hours of my LIFE!

As long as they kept it to <10~15 minutes, I think it isn't rude. Any longer than that and it would be.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 04:27:38 PM »
Even if it's Holy Hell--it's only going to be that for some of the people, and it's only 6 minutes.

Right 6 minutes is ok... although still presumptuous. But anything longer with a captive audience is just not ok.

I was once on the same flight as LL Cool J - I would have been thrilled if he broke out with some old school freestyle street rap, but I'm sure many people would not have enjoyed it, despite LL Cool J being truly talented in the genre, just like the OP probably would not have enjoyed it if Metallica - widely considered a great heavy metal band - performed.

No matter how talented an artist or group may be, enjoyment is still going to subjective.

Mammavan3

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 04:29:56 PM »
I love Dvorak, but I think a more soothing selection would have been appropriate in a situation where people are probably upset.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 05:12:52 PM »
Inside an airplane I wouldn't find it pleasant. You are not able to get away from the noise and that is not what I prefer when on a plane.

Inside a terminal when waiting for a delayed flight? I would have thought it was great probably even if the music wasn't quite to my taste.

Parking my pod here.  I think it's a wonderful gift.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 05:20:09 PM »
Wow would I be annoyed! I watched that whole 1.5 minute clip just to be able to give honest feedback, but I have to say by abut 30 seconds in I was thinking "what an absolutely awful sound!" and by 1 minute it was truly unpleasant and uncomfortable sounding. I personally find it hard to conceive how people enjoy that sound. I can appreciate the talent it takes to play the instruments but I really, really, really did not like that music. I also imagine it was very loud in the enclosed space of an airplane.

I would be ok with it for say 5 minutes because hey, i realize its not all about me, but for longer then that I would be very tempted to yell at them to be quiet and leave people in peace.
I enjoy some classical music but would not want to be held captive audience on a plane by this or anything else.  Even my beloved old time country music would be unfair to some people there so I would opt for no on that, as well.
I don't know if it were rude, but certainly thoughtless and disregarding of the other passengers. 
Do you know that there are some places that play classical music to keep loiterers away?  I know of two off the top of my head.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 05:47:44 PM »
My husband thinks it would be thrilling, but he loves classical music a darn sight better than I do.  After I read him my response, he said I was a fossil, so then we had an argument about him calling me a fossil.  >:( 
He also said if it were heavy metal he would go hide his head in the toilet (I think he meant literally, not just the room)  NOW who's a fossil?

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:54:38 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 05:52:41 PM »
My dad likes classical music (not his favorite, but he likes it) but he would hate this situation because of the volume. My father is very protective of his hearing (he wears earplugs on the subway even! And came to my wedding prepared with earplugs - which he used the whole reception). There would be no escape from the volume of this performance unless someone brought noise cancelled earphones or earplugs with them.

Lynnv

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 05:57:31 PM »
I was stuck on a plane on the tarmac in DC for nearly 4 hours about 5/6 years ago (they kept saying it would only be "15 or 20 more minutes" as we were waiting for a part to get fixed.  It was quite miserable-hot, muggy, I was stuck in the VERY back row and the plane was 100% full.  Anything to pass the time would have probably been at least somewhat welcomed.

I would have personally enjoyed it.  I would also have enjoyed LL Cool J or Metallica too.  But getting hit with something I didn't like would have been less fun and I can see how it would have been really awful for folks who are more picky about what music they like than I am (I like many things and can put up with a lot of others for short periods without it bothering me too much).  For 10 minutes or so, I could put up with it.  Especially since it would make at least some of my fellow passengers less cranky about being stuck in a plane.    But anything longer would have been too much.  And I can certainly see how folks would be annoyed even by that much of it.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

perpetua

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 06:00:34 PM »
Hey, could be worse. It could be Cliff Richard singing at Wimbledon.

I'd love it, but then I'm a musician and I'll never turn down the chance of a free performance.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 06:09:33 PM »
A free concert of something you usually have to pay a ticket for?  Sounds like a nice treat to me.  And listening to the music, I wouldn't be offended by it at all.  I'd see it as a good way of passing some time during a point where tempers are running high and everyone's frustrated by the delay.

And I agree that the "shrill" sound you're hearing is due to the audio - not the actual performance.  I think it sounded a lot cleaner in person.

yellowpineapple

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 06:57:33 PM »
Getting to hear a short concert by members of the world-class Philadelphia Orchestra?  Sign me up!  I know the Dvorak "American" Quartet like the back of my hand, and would have been thrilled to hear it. That finale movement is a blast and an absolute joy to play! 

Also, it should be noted that this was not actually a string orchestra playing; it was only 4 people from the orchestra. (For those who were concerned about the amount of sound in a small space, it definitely wasn't the 60 or so string players that are likely part of the orchestra's string section. There just isn't room for everyone to play, even on a large long-haul sized plane.  :)  ).  It might be interesting to note that when the "American" Quartet was written, works like this were considered for intimate audiences, small salon type venues.  I wonder what Dvorak might have thought of his classic work being played on a plane!

Regarding the sound quality:  I can tell that these are highly trained, excellent players.  However, the sound quality of the video makes the first violinist's violin sound pretty tinny.  It captures a lot of the instrument's higher overtones, and doesn't really grab the bass end of the spectrum.  It also looks like the person recording this particular video was standing/sitting right by the first violinist.  (As our recording engineer where I work says:  the one closest to the mic wins.)  Those little video recorders on cell phones are not meant to accurately capture the acoustic qualities of live instruments--you need really great mics for that. :)    So, I wouldn't judge the tone quality from this video. 

In any case, you just can't please everyone, regardless of the good intentions of the quartet that was playing.  :)

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »
I like classic music, but I found them a wee bit too squeaky for my taste. I wouldn't know if that's because of the audio or not. That plus I would feel like "Um, I didn't ask you to entertain me while we wait. Please, restrain yourself from that impulse." The only thing worse would be "And now my toddler will regale all of you with Wheels On The Bus over and over." I just dislike people who grab for attention like that.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 07:08:39 PM by TeamBhakta »

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 07:05:52 PM »
I've had to sing on a plane before.  It was not a great experience.  Our conductor was thrilled that we were asked to perform a song, but I found it rude and wish we hadn't been obliged to participate.

(College choir - ~45 people - on a cross-country flight.  You can't really fit 45 people in the aisle very well without taking up the whole plane.  Also, the plane is specifically designed to dampen noise.  Result: those of us in the back couldn't see the conductor, couldn't hear the people in the front, and were probably slightly off the beat because of it.  I suspect we sounded awful.)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 07:16:49 PM »

The music only lasts 6 minutes.  If people have migraines or anxiety issues, the discomfort related to it could last way past the music.

There are days where I might delight in this and days where it could possibly cause me agony for at least a few hours.  Maybe there was nobody with any sensitivities on that particular plane at that particular time.  It seems like a role of the dice and I am undecided as to whether it would be worth it.