Author Topic: Dvorak on the plane  (Read 12040 times)

Olympia

Re: Dvorak on the plane
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 07:46:01 PM »
I was once on the same flight as LL Cool J - I would have been thrilled if he broke out with some old school freestyle street rap, but I'm sure many people would not have enjoyed it, despite LL Cool J being truly talented in the genre, just like the OP probably would not have enjoyed it if Metallica - widely considered a great heavy metal band - performed.

I don't like rap, but how fun would that have been if he'd done that? I'd have loved it.

Flying is stressful enough as it is. Why search for rudeness in a someone's generosity?

gollymolly2

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 07:54:39 PM »
This is a hard one. It's obviously something that many people would enjoy. And their goal in playing is clearly to cheer people up/ spread some joy. So I definitely don't think they were rude.

But planes are such a small environment + people are usually already irritable once the flight delays set in.  It would be frustrating to be a captive audience if you were not in the mood for it or didn't enjoy it. I'm imagining if I was stuck on a long-delayed flight and someone started suddenly loudly playing dubstep or country music. I'd be really frustrated. Especially if the excuse was "its only six minutes!" or "this is great music; you should enjoy it!". So while I don't think the musicians were rude, I also wouldn't think a passenger was a grump if he or she was annoyed by the whole situation.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 08:22:36 PM »
What a lovely thing to do!  Even if it wasn't a style of music I like (the aforementioned rap, for example) I'd have appreciated the effort and the fact that it cheered up other passengers. 

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 08:26:53 PM »
I don't like rap, but how fun would that have been if he'd done that? I'd have loved it.

This is my thought as well.  Even if it were a genre of music that I didn't care for, the fact that it was a free concert of something you usually have to pay big bucks for would be cool.  I'd love to be able to say I'd gotten the chance to hear XYZ for free when everyone I knew had to pay a lot of money to get a far off seat in a concert.

It also doesn't say whether the people on the plane were asked before they got this concert.  It could be that they were, and everyone on board was fine with it.  We tuned in on the video, essentially, in the middle of things.  We don't know that everyone wasn't asked.  (And if they responded that it was ok when it wasn't, that's really not anyone else's fault - we say here all the time not to be PA if you have an objection.  If someone has migraine tendencies, it is very possible to politely say that to a "do you mind if they do this" question and ask that the concert not take place.)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 08:34:44 PM »
Honestly, stuck on a plane, I'd be happy with Amateur Hour.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 08:37:06 PM »
A free concert of something you usually have to pay a ticket for?  Sounds like a nice treat to me.  And listening to the music, I wouldn't be offended by it at all.  I'd see it as a good way of passing some time during a point where tempers are running high and everyone's frustrated by the delay.

And I agree that the "shrill" sound you're hearing is due to the audio - not the actual performance.  I think it sounded a lot cleaner in person.

Pod.  Plus, sometimes people, in general, have to enjoy those amazing moments that happen randomly instead of trying to find rudeness in everything.

I don't like rap music but I would've loved to hear LLCoolJ.  Not because I love his music but because of the beauty of the moment.  How often does that happen?  That's what I would've enjoyed. 

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2013, 08:43:22 PM »
A free concert of something you usually have to pay a ticket for?  Sounds like a nice treat to me.  And listening to the music, I wouldn't be offended by it at all.  I'd see it as a good way of passing some time during a point where tempers are running high and everyone's frustrated by the delay.

And I agree that the "shrill" sound you're hearing is due to the audio - not the actual performance.  I think it sounded a lot cleaner in person.

Pod.  Plus, sometimes people, in general, have to enjoy those amazing moments that happen randomly instead of trying to find rudeness in everything.

I don't like rap music but I would've loved to hear LLCoolJ.  Not because I love his music but because of the beauty of the moment.  How often does that happen?  That's what I would've enjoyed.

Totally. 

IrishGenes

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2013, 08:54:57 PM »
My autistic son would have been practically shrieking in distress from the sound of the violins.  Higher pitched string instruments sound like fingernails on a chalkboard to him.  That would not have been pleasant experience for *anyone* on the plane. :( 

"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."  ~ The Talmud

pharmagal

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2013, 09:03:14 PM »
I'm positive that if any person on the plane had an issue with the music and/or it's effects on people, and they let the players know, they would have stopped immediately.  No-one can accurately judge anyone else's mental state and nor should they, unless they are a professional.

I think what they did was lovely. 

Olympia

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 09:11:03 PM »
I'm positive that if any person on the plane had an issue with the music and/or it's effects on people, and they let the players know, they would have stopped immediately.  No-one can accurately judge anyone else's mental state and nor should they, unless they are a professional.

Exactly this. At some point people have to take the responsibility to advocate for themselves if there's a problem. I really think that if you ask yourself all possible "what if"s before doing anything, then you'll spend your life doing nothing. How many random acts of kindness would go undone if people constantly second guessed themselves?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2013, 09:18:05 PM »

Exactly this. At some point people have to take the responsibility to advocate for themselves if there's a problem. I really think that if you ask yourself all possible "what if"s before doing anything, then you'll spend your life doing nothing. How many random acts of kindness would go undone if people constantly second guessed themselves?

And how many gifts wouldn't ever be given?

Just because you don't personally like something doesn't make it rude. Or inappropriate. Or wrong. Or even unwise.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2013, 09:21:26 PM »

This. And by "had an issue," that means something like IrishGenes' son who has a true visceral, crowd-disturbing reaction to the music -- not Joe Schmoe who just doesn't care for Dvorak.

I think random acts of live music are the coolest thing ever, and I would welcome an impromptu performance on a delayed flight by just about anyone, whether I was a fan of their music or not. I'd like to think I'd be understanding if it were cut short because someone had an issue like IrishGenes' son. But I'd still be thrilled at getting to hear even a couple of minutes of (Insert Artist Name Here).
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2013, 09:24:23 PM »

Yes and yes.  I agree with you both!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2013, 09:31:01 PM »
I was once on the same flight as LL Cool J - I would have been thrilled if he broke out with some old school freestyle street rap, but I'm sure many people would not have enjoyed it, despite LL Cool J being truly talented in the genre, just like the OP probably would not have enjoyed it if Metallica - widely considered a great heavy metal band - performed.

Flying is stressful enough as it is. Why search for rudeness in a someone's generosity?

The thing is, you can be a talented massage therapist.  If somebody agrees to an offer of a free massage you are indeed very generous.  If you start to massage somebody without their  consent, however, you are not generous but intrusive.

Olympia

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 09:37:54 PM »

The thing is, you can be a talented massage therapist.  If somebody agrees to an offer of a free massage you are indeed very generous.  If you start to massage somebody without their  consent, however, you are not generous but intrusive.

They aren't massage therapists. They're musicians. No physical contact involved.